Water Tank Repair by RSI

Tom of Ypsi

This is a heads up for those who had their fresh water tanks repaired after the rally. I had mine repaired at RSI and while I thought they did a good job I questioned the use of the tape they used. Traveling through Illiinois going to Des Moines Iowa we stopped at a rest area. Walking out of the rest room I noticed a big piece of the underbelly the whole width of the trailer looking like a big mud flap. I had no choice but to cut it loose with a knife since I did not have any tape with me. I lost all of my insulation around the water tank and the silver insulation is all torn up. I now have to look for some insulation and hopefully I will be able to put it back together and make it stay.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
We had a similar but not quite as severe problem. Ours came loose in the center and dropped a couple inches. I only need to re-attach and do a little better job of securing it. The part that came loose was not caught by any wind flow so that's probably why it didn't tear. On the plus side, I'm now able to fill my tank and it also vents properly while filling.
While at Rec Specialties, a few of us were chatting and found that Heartland must have changed the method of venting just prior to my serial# of 4995. My tank has two vents in opposing corners of the tank and they are "Tee'd" together and vent through the fill vent in the docking center. NICE, no hoses hanging under the tank.

L'l John

I also had my water tank support beefed up at Rec. Spec. I made it all the way home (600 miles) before I noticed that the tape was coming loose. I just re-stuck it back for now. I don't expect it to stay stuck and will put something better in its place soon.
All in all, I am pretty well pleased with their repair work. Especially since I had such a long list of things that needed fixing.
My storage compartment door that needed replacing had not arrived and I came home without it. Been trying to reach Jim Fenner about shipping it to me but have not been able to contact him yet. Seems that he was due a vacation after the Rally!

5erWonk

Sorry to hear about the tape job, I used the Nashua flashing tape (Home Depot) as recommended by Happy Kayakers.....No problems so far.

Tom, You mention "losing the insulation around the water tank and the silver insulation....", I only have the silver insulation in my underbelly....Am I missing something?:confused:

Tom of Ypsi

Bob,

I am assuming there was insulation. On the underside of the silver insulation is pieces of the white insulation stuck to it. I have found this same insulation throughout the coach. If this fuzy white insulation backing is suppose to be helpful in keeping our coachs warmer or cooler I cannot see how it helps as there is not enough there to do anything. I thought there were pieces of insulation stuffed up along side the water and holding tanks. Guess I am thinking too much.

Tom of Ypsi

This is just an update and a good one I may add. I received a call from Matt (RSI) on Friday morning and he was concerned about the quality of work that was done at the shop. We talked for a while and although I was not terribly upset he was not happy that a problem happened with my coach after they had fixed it. He gave me some pointers on reattaching the underbelly and some genaral information on the coach. I am impressed with RSI, what other dealer/repair shop would read this forum and take the time to call and make sure everything was right. Nice job RSI and Matt.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Matt from RSI called me as well. Pretty impressive that they read and follow up on this forum. I also went by our dealer in Wisconsin Rapids and told him of our experience at the rally and the service work that was available. I passed on a few Heartland Owners cards and donated our Flair pillows to him to put in Heartlands units on the lot. We had no need for the pillows but it was a nice gesture on Flair's part. He mentiond he has sold a good number of Bighorns too.

L'l John

I also got a call from Matt (RSI). He asked me about my water tank and under-belly repair and offered some suggestions about securing the underbelly.
He also told me that my storage compartment door was now available at Heartland and he is picking it up and shipping it to me at my home. They would have installed it at their shop if it had been available while I was there.
Way to go Matt & RSI!

Tom of Ypsi

John,

Glad to see you are finally getting your repairs done. When did you get out of RSI and how bad was the house when you got there? Sure hope everything was ok.

DougLynne

retired Alberta Chapter Leaders
We had a grey tank valve repaired by RV Capital and the tape came lose on the way home fro the rally. I have ordered a roll of tape the was mentioned on the forum and will try that..../Doug