Colorado to California

Hi everyone,

Let me start off by saying this forum has been a tremendous resource. I purchased my first travel trailer in Dec, I've been able to find the answers to so many questions here...all before I've taken my first trip with it.

Speaking of that first trip...we're leaving the Denver area and heading to Newport Beach, CA at the end of March. I was wondering if any of you have any recommendations about whether or not it's a wise idea to drive the extra ~250 miles and avoid I-70 and all the long haul over the Rockies (take I-25/I-40 instead). I've got a 2005 Chevy Suburban (1500) pulling a 30' Trail Runner.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Tim

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
Tim, Welcome to the forum. This forum is a great source for information. If you want to take your ownership to another level check out the Heartland Owners Club by clicking on the tab at the top of the page. You have a very active chapter in Colorado with great bunch of folks.

I can't help with your route but I'm sure someone will chime in. Good luck on you maiden voage.

TedS

Going I40 will skirt the Rockies for sure. Raton Pass is pretty easy. Save the thrill of Loveland Pass and I70 for the next trip or your return route. There is still a chance for snow in the higher elevations the end of March; I40 less so.

danemayer

If a 2005 Suburban 1500 had a towing capacity of maybe 8400# when new, and your Trail Runner weighs over 8000# when moderately loaded, you don't have much margin, if any. Also, I seem to remember that gas engines lose power as altitude increases and you could lose 30% of the engine power by the time you get up to the altitude of the Isenhower Tunnel.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
My 2 cents... Watch out for windy conditions and fast truckers blowing past you. With the shorter wheelbase of the Suburban, sway may be a factor, whether flat land or mountains. For a first trip I would definitely take the less mountainous route. For us Texans, going to Breckenridge this winter on I-70 was not a leisurely drive... even though we are well within our tow limits.

Good luck and enjoy your rig!

Erika

Thank you all for the feedback. I think you're right...avoiding I-70 is probably a good idea, especially on this first trip.

lorax

Some road atlases have scenic routes marked on them. Wal-Mart sells a Rand-MacNally that does. These scenic routes are often easy driving. Less trucks, lower speeds so gas mileage tends to go up. We have seen places that we would never think to go to. It's all out there.
Good luck and safe travels.
Ted

Crumgater

We took the "scenic" route across Oregon last fall (Boise, ID to Bend, OR on HWY26)... it was the hilliest, twistiest, and definately less-traveled route. It was only an extra 40 miles, but it took us about 2 extra hours.

Next time, we'll take the straight shot to the campsite (HWY 20 for that trip), un-hook and THEN go find the scenic route.

For your trip, I'd add my vote to the lower elevation road in March, too.
-T

Your collective input was making this an easy decision, but I just got off the phone with a Chevy dealer who says the towing capacity on my Suburban is 7,200 pounds...not the 8,500 I thought it was. I'm shocked it's that low!! I guess I better find the flattest routes possible.

lorax

I 10 offers a low pass through the Rockies but you may be at a place that requires you to go over some high passes just to get there. Good luck. Good Sam Club offers on-line routing that will give you high pass notifications. You can route a couple and see which one is the lowest.