Entrance Door - Window

MTPockets

A number of times wish the door glass was clear, or at least a 4 inch square of clear so can see through the door to outside. Has anyone changed this out to a clear safety glass... my ideal would be frosted glass half way up and clear to the top.... Getting glass isn't a problem, just looking for opinions.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Re: Entance Door - Window

Why not just look out the slide window?

Peace
Dave

TXBobcat

Fulltime

Don't take this in the wrong way, but why do you need to see out? If there is anyone outside beating on your door, they are down so low you may not be able to see much of them.

You can take the window glass out easily. What we did was replace it with a decorative window.
Something you might try is to take the window out, go to a glass company and have them make you a frosted window with a clear circle or square in the middle.

DSC_1526M2.jpg

BC

MTPockets

On the door side of the 3055RL, there is one small window in the slide at the rear, and the one in the front in the bedroom. If someone comes knocking, or a noise I want to investigagte without opening up the door, neither window gives a line of sight to the area around the door.

clubmgr

Heartland Owners Club Manager
Staff member

Dick Hill (user name: hillsonwheels) did an awesome job replacing his door window with glass he frosted himself. He left a clear "WV" on it and it looks great. If he doesn't respond to this thread maybe you could PM him.

traveler44

Yes! I replaced mine with lexan from Lowes about two years ago so I can see out. I stuck some window tint and a decal on it so it makes it harder for somebody to see in but we can still see out. Lowes cut it to size. I think it is one of the handiest things I've done. Tom

Yes! I replaced mine with lexan from Lowes about two years ago so I can see out. I stuck some window tint and a decal on it so it makes it harder for somebody to see in but we can still see out. Lowes cut it to size. I think it is one of the handiest things I've done. Tom

I did the same thing after reading your thread. We love it not for the sake of seeing someone at the door, but for the view it provides. Still can't believe the difference it made.

brianharrison

A number of times wish the door glass was clear, or at least a 4 inch square of clear so can see through the door to outside. Has anyone changed this out to a clear safety glass... my ideal would be frosted glass half way up and clear to the top.... Getting glass isn't a problem, just looking for opinions.

Atwood does up a nice EDWIN (Entry Door Window) replacement --> Link to Atwood EDWIN

The glass is privacy glass (see out but not in).

I have not done this mod; but saw it once and have thought of it many times (One of those Round TOITs)....

Take care,
Brian

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired

Brian - Thanks for pointing that out - that will also go on my list of mods to do - ( round2it ). I think it has a much nicer look than the standard glass -

Kevin

Crumgater

It would also make it easier to watch the awning go in and out - without the door open (which can drip rain water into the rig).
Sounds like another mod to add to our list, too.

brianharrison

At least ya all got a window. HH just gives you a solid door, no window.

I am unsure of your post ChopperBill - are you referring to your unit and that the solid door is what you have? If so I was unaware Heartland provided any units with no glass (window) in the door.

For clarity, mine is solid as well (no opening) but there is opaque, frosted glass in the door which cannot be opened. I may have misrepresented it as a "window" - that is why I was looking at the Atwood EDWIN, to have a true window, that could slide open.

hillsonwheels

Busted again......by the club manager............:D......Replacing that glass is very easy. It is rectangular when out of the frame. Remove a bunch of screws. Buy a piece of lexan. Cut to size of original piece. Tape off area you want to be clear. Be careful if you cut your design in tape on lexan! :eek: Lexan scars easily. Use a random orbital sander to scuff the area you want to see through. Only have to do one side. Peel tape. Put 'er in. Replace all those screws. Enjoy! :cool: Julie shudda knowed all dat.................:angel:

Dick

clubmgr

Heartland Owners Club Manager
Staff member

Busted again......by the club manager............:D......Replacing that glass is very easy. It is rectangular when out of the frame. Remove a bunch of screws. Buy a piece of lexan. Cut to size of original piece. Tape off area you want to be clear. Be careful if you cut your design in tape on lexan! :eek: Lexan scars easily. Use a random orbital sander to scuff the area you want to see through. Only have to do one side. Peel tape. Put 'er in. Replace all those screws. Enjoy! :cool: Julie shudda knowed all dat.................:angel:

Dick

Just wanted to let you do your own braggin' LOL

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired

We didn't replace the glass, but took apart the frame to paint it (it had yellowed). Removing the glass was easy, there was a bead of silicone also holding it in place after removal of the screws. Well, after we painted the frame, we reapplied the silicone, and started to replace it in the door. Unfortunately, we were't quick to get it secured, and the glass SLIPPED!! we both grabbed it, getting silicone all over us and the glass. We laugh about it now, but it was not a fun experience. (that glass still needs work!) NOTE TO Y'ALL... if you apply silicone, let the silicone dry before trying to reinstall in the door.

E

lorax

Thanks, TravelTiger! Let the silicone dry. Simple. Far less messy than any thing I have experienced. You still get the seal without the mess.
Ted

hillsonwheels

Inquiring minds..........need to know these things.............how do you make sure the silicone dries without any high spots in it so you can get a good seal without stressing frame or glass when you reassemble?

As to getting the silicone all over you.....my Dad always said that if you were gonna use tar, just go put a gob on a flat surface and sit on it because you know you're gonna get it all over you anyway! :rolleyes:

Dick

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired

Inquiring minds..........need to know these things.............how do you make sure the silicone dries without any high spots in it so you can get a good seal without stressing frame or glass when you reassemble?

I'm not 100% remembering clearly, but I think we applied silicone to the outside frame, lying flat on a table... Then placed the glass on top of that. We should have waited for it to dry completely... But no, we picked up the frame and tried to put it into the opening, to secure and sandwich it into the door. Gravity prevailed. We'd also used WHITE silicone. :(