Interior lighting....

Bob Vaughn

The one gripe I have about my BC 3250TS is the lighting.....The light over the dinette has less output than a 25 watt bulb and the ceiling lights are also very dim. I think it is because they are up so high, how much more could it cost at the factory level to put florescent fixtures in to start with...

Jimmy

12 volt RV flurescents tend to cost an arm and leg, and for the most part look rather cheap, especially the economy versions (LOL they still cost $30+).

traveler44

I changed the ceiling lights to 450 lumen cool white LEDs and what a difference in the amount of light we get now. I installed one 450 lumen and one 300 lumen in each of the double fixtures. The difference between the yellow light from the automotive type bulb and the white light from the LEDs is incredible.

Bob Vaughn

I changed the ceiling lights to 450 lumen cool white LEDs and what a difference in the amount of light we get now. I installed one 450 lumen and one 300 lumen in each of the double fixtures. The difference between the yellow light from the automotive type bulb and the white light from the LEDs is incredible.
Do those bulbs have a number, and where can I find them? Are they expensive?

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
When we had our 3250, I added a table lamp. What a difference a 60 watt bulb does.

ncc1701e

The wife pretty much insisted that I upgrade the lightling in our Sundance. We replaced the rear living lights for florescent fixtures, added a table lamp Table Living Area.jpg, a small table lamp for the dinning table, and replaced all the ceiling lamps in the entire trailer for LED's. I think Millie has stock in the power company sometimes (LOL). She does like a lot of light. But, I must say the lighting was a little less than one really would like in most cases. I've just read a post where one of our members added an extra bulb and switch to the globe light over the table. I'm going to investigate this next.

traveler44

I thought I should warn people that if you use the 450 lumen LEDs from Rigid Industries they run a little hot in the ceiling fixtures and will turn the lenses yellow. I am running them without the lenses now and keeping an eye on the fixtures to make sure the don't melt the plastic in the fixtures. You are probably better off to go with the 315 lumen type that run a lot cooler. These lights come with a sticky back and I didn't stick them directly to the fixture.

JasonShrout

I thought the LED's were supposed to run cool...

As I'm looking at those for replacements, how does the lighting system in the trailer work? Is it 110vac, or 12vdc? Is a converter used for the big items like Fridge, TV, AC?

I can't seem to find this info in any of the posts, and no, I haven't bought our trailer yet. Just compiling a list of useful knowledge.

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
I thought the LED's were supposed to run cool...

As I'm looking at those for replacements, how does the lighting system in the trailer work? Is it 110vac, or 12vdc? Is a converter used for the big items like Fridge, TV, AC?

I can't seem to find this info in any of the posts, and no, I haven't bought our trailer yet. Just compiling a list of useful knowledge.

If I have it correct...the lighting runs from the converter at 12V DC. The appliances run at the 110, which is why the fridge can also run on propane. TV, AC etc will only run with shore power unless you go the generator route.

An expert will be along in a minute!

JasonShrout

SJH,
Thank you! I found a YouTube video that shows what can be done with the 12V LED replacements.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4HNZ22Eigo

You just answered the question that's been bugging me. I take it that the batteries are constantly charging when on shore power or using the genny? Is there a safety that prevents overcharging?

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
Is there a safety that prevents overcharging?

Generally not although some of the newer converters advertise a "smart charge" that is supposed to reduce voltage when the battery is fully charged. Many campers intall a battery cut-off switch just for that purpose. The battery does receive a charge when plugged into shore power or the running tow vehicle.