Wall framing diagram

tdharley

Hi Scott

I was wondering if there was a way to get a diagram or drawing with measurements of the aluminum wall framing. I would like to drill a 6" hole under the front scare light for a vent and with my luck I will pick a spot right on a wall joist.

Please get back to me when you can

Thanks

Now for a little butt kissing. I think you guys are doing a fine job both here and keeping up the QC issues. I for one have had little problems with my rig.

K

Ken Washington

tdharley,
Would a stud finder work in this case? Please don't say that it would always point toward you! That's my line!

Ken

ct0218

I used one to find my studs before I put in the dryer vent and it worked. If it was a false reading I must have gotten lucky as it was about where mine said it was. Mine is adjustable for deep or shallow scans, and I think it was set for shallow.

tdharley

Maybe the newer ones use some sort of ultrasound.

They used to only work on metal, if you were lucky enough to go over a sheetrock nail.

I have not used one in a while I use the tap method.

fireflipper

EX-Travel Bug
Fireflipper

The newer stud finders work on wood and metal. Lightly mark where the studs are and use a small finish nail to check for any obstuctions where you want to put the hole. Also the bettter brand stud finders will show if there is any wiring in the area, if it is hot.

ct0218

Yeah, the newer ones detect density rather than steel. Mine is a Zircon and it detects about everything thru about everything. It is great for finding live wires in walls before the sawzall does. About $50 as I remember but it will even detect rebar in concrete if it is within a couple inches of the surface.

SmokeyBare

I can see the studs clearly each morning when the dew is heavy... the studs seem to keep the dew from collecting on the outside walls... where the studs are located... no dew... between the studs... is where the dew is attached... Mother Nature might lend you a hand....

Marv