Genesis Technology Questions

dave10a

I have Landmark that I took delivery last week and I have yet to get the Genesis A/V system to play my TV sound, Weather Channels, AM Radio and FM radio. All I get is static. After reading the manual, it looks like it does a lot of things, but I guess I am too stupid to get anything to work as the manual says it should. I tried to trace the wiring to see if any antenna is connected or how the input cables are connected to the TV, but I cannot trace the cables because I have no clue as to how to disassemble the cabinets or dismount the tv to see what is behind it. Has anyone had any experience with this thing? I asked the dealer and they have not clue how the Genesis works and they are not thrilled over this thing and seem to want to hide from it. I am getting very frustrated about the secrets this thing seems to be delighted to keep from me.

BobFields

Hi dave10a

It might be best if we try and have a phone call as I would have more questions than I would expect you to have to type back. Please call me at you convenience at 574-343-1165 or email me at bfields@aridiantech.com with your phone number and a good time to call you. I will be happy to walk you through the system.

Best regards,
Bob Fields

dave10a

thanks for the offer--- I will call you Monday late morning if that is convenient for you. I got the DVD and clock to work, but the am, FM and NOAA weather is very weak and noisy. It is like the antenna is not connected or shorted. I am in a rural community in Florida, but my Truck radio picks many stations in Tampa, Ocala and Orlando. Also my CB gets NOAA weather. Also my TV does not play thru the Genesis like it is not connected. I've tried both digital and PCM settings in the TV to no avail. It almost looks like it is not connected. However, I could be doing something wrong. Also is there a sub-woofer connected, I can't find one and wonder why not :)

MTPockets

Call it coincidental, but I was pouring through my manual just today trying to see if I could get the TV sound piped through the external speakers and never was successful. I can't get Genesis the menu to display either. I've clunked around trying different things and am having no luck... That offer to talk, I assume, is good here too. I thought I was pretty handy with all these things, but this one has me stumped as well.

wdk450

Dave10a:
It sounds to me like you have a warranty claim. You paid good money for your warranty as part of your purchase price.

BobFields

Look forward to speaking with you widen you call.
Bob

thanks for the offer--- I will call you Monday late morning if that is convenient for you. I got the DVD and clock to work, but the am, FM and NOAA weather is very weak and noisy. It is like the antenna is not connected or shorted. I am in a rural community in Florida, but my Truck radio picks many stations in Tampa, Ocala and Orlando. Also my CB gets NOAA weather. Also my TV does not play thru the Genesis like it is not connected. I've tried both digital and PCM settings in the TV to no avail. It almost looks like it is not connected. However, I could be doing something wrong. Also is there a sub-woofer connected, I can't find one and wonder why not :)

BobFields

Hi MTPockets,

The menu system will display on the TV (not the small screen on the unit).

Put in a DVD and start a movie. Once the movie is started hit the setup button on the remote control and the setup screen will appear on the TV. Be VERY cautious about what you are changing as you really should not change anything.
Bob

Call it coincidental, but I was pouring through my manual just today trying to see if I could get the TV sound piped through the external speakers and never was successful. I can't get Genesis the menu to display either. I've clunked around trying different things and am having no luck... That offer to talk, I assume, is good here too. I thought I was pretty handy with all these things, but this one has me stumped as well.

BobFields

General TV sound through the Genesis system response: The systems have several aux inputs and can indeed play the TV sound through the systems speakers.

In order to utilize, you will need to know what type of audio output you may have from the TV. Typically you will have either RCA connectors, digital coax or digital optical audio output. The Genesis systems can use any of these inputs. Once connected, the proper input will need to be selected on the Genesis (such as AU4 for the optical or coax input).

In order to verify that the TV is connected in this way or to connect it in the way, you will need to remove the trim bezel from the radio in order to remove the screws that hold the radio in.

GT2 - the side panels pull straight off relatively easily.
GT3 - look at the trim bezel from the bottom and you will see two small indents. Use a small screw driver or a good stiff butter knife and release the tabs at these indents. give the panel a little jiggle and it should come right off.

Each unit has a wiring diagram right on it so identifying the proper inputs should be pretty straight forward.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

BobFields

dave10a, I am not sure if I have missed you, but would love to speak and help you out! Please call me at your convenience or message me your phone number and I will call you.

dave10a

dave10a, I am not sure if I have missed you, but would love to speak and help you out! Please call me at your convenience or message me your phone number and I will call you.

I have been out of Cell coverage, but I got my TV to work by selecting AU3 input and waiting a few seconds for the firmware to recognize the signal. My AM, FM and Weather are still bad while my truck radio work fine. I think the antennae is not connected. I tried removing the front bezel like you explained, but the two slots you mention are only 1/4 inch above the cabinet face and I am concerned that I will damage something trying to remove the cover.
Also when I watch HD TV and select the Digital Dolby output on the Toshiba TV the sound out of the Genesis 3 stops after 10 minutes and I have to power the Genesis off and back on to get the sound back, but it only last for another few minutes and stops. However if I select PCM output format on the Toshiba it plays for ever. I am not sure what the problem is, but is smells like either a firmware and hardware problem in the Genesis. What advice to have to resolve this problem? And do you have any idea what Heartland uses for an antennae?

dave10a

:pI called Heartland and they told me that the antenna is internal to the Genesis and there is no sub woofer installed on my model. Needless to say I am not excited by this news, but being a retired BSEE that done alot of telemetry and audio work in my previous life, I will work out a solution. The problem is I have to determine if this Genesis thing supports active or passive sub woofers. The other problem is to determine why Digital Dolby from the TV wags out the Genesis after a few minutes of operation. It is beginning to look like the Genesis is not an audiophile's delight.... :)

BobFields

You definitely need an antenna for any Genesis unit. Page 34 of the GT manual clearly shows an AM/FM Antenna connector (that connects to an antenna). Please let me know who you spoke to so we can contact them to verify there information.

You really need to remove the unit as we previously discussed to see of one is hooked up or not. If you are uncomfortable doing it, your dealer should check it out under warranty no problem.

Also refer to page 35 of your GT3 manual to see there is actually two Sub Woofer Outputs that you can wire, but you only really need one. I would recommend our Sw-Box4 as it is matched to our units. Please see http://www.concertone.com/box4.html for more information and I will offer a 20% discount for any Heartland Forum member.

I am unsure what you mean about dolby digital "wagging" out the unit after a few minutes. When you (or your dealer finally removes the unit to check the antenna) please let me know how the audio from the TV is hooked up.

Thanks

dave10a

The problem with having the dealer work it out as a warranty problem is it the expense of dragging the unit to dealer and the hastle involved. The input from the TV is using the AU3 connector that I assume is either a coaxial or fiber optic input. Are you sure there is no firmware update for this unit that would correct problem of Dolby compliance? Or maybe the cable from the TV to the unit is poor quality, which I doubt because even a poorly designed fiber or coax cable would work with most tolerant circuits because of the short distance-- besides its audio digital not video which is a much lower band width. What I mean by wagging out (a colloquial engineering term) is there no audio after a few minutes and it requires turning the unit off and back on which effectively does a reset of the sound processor.

tcfake613

:pI called Heartland and they told me that the antenna is internal to the Genesis and there is no sub woofer installed on my model. Needless to say I am not excited by this news, but being a retired BSEE that done alot of telemetry and audio work in my previous life, I will work out a solution. The problem is I have to determine if this Genesis thing supports active or passive sub woofers. The other problem is to determine why Digital Dolby from the TV wags out the Genesis after a few minutes of operation. It is beginning to look like the Genesis is not an audiophile's delight.... :)

Dave,

Check the link below for some very detailed info on the inputs/outputs of the unit. I assume since you have a Landmark you have this unit... although yours says Genesis, this says Concertone.... same unit essentially. It appears there is an external antenna connector. You can buy an antenna for 20 bucks at Crutchfield.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_804ZX800/Concertone-ZX800.html?search=concertone

As Mr. Fields describes it uses a passive sub because of speaker level outputs. You can get a good active sub with speaker level inputs such as this:

http://velodyne.com/impact-mini-6-5.html

I put this in my Bighorn... sound is amazing.

dave10a

thanks for the suggestions. I will work out something. I made an assumption that the Landmark being the flagship would include a sub-woofer and radio reception. I paid a lot of money to have these kind of problems. Now I need to check the phasing of the 6 speakers because the sound is a little flat without the low freqs. When I get done re engineering this system, I suspect it will be what I expected in the first place:)

TV sound back thru the Genesis 2.0

After talking with Bob Fields I hooked a optical cable from the back of the TV to the back of the Genesis 2.0. Now my Blue Ray DVD & TV can be used on the sound system by using AUX 3 on the Genesis 2.0. I expect the same when I hook up my Dish Network receiver into the system. Both the Blue Ray & Dish Receivers are hooked to the TV via HDMI cables. Thanks again to Bob for his inputs.

jimtoo

Re: TV sound back thru the Genesis 2.0

After talking with Bob Fields I hooked a optical cable from the back of the TV to the back of the Genesis 2.0. Now my Blue Ray DVD & TV can be used on the sound system by using AUX 3 on the Genesis 2.0. I expect the same when I hook up my Dish Network receiver into the system. Both the Blue Ray & Dish Receivers are hooked to the TV via HDMI cables. Thanks again to Bob for his inputs.

Hi RalphOnstine,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

Isn't it great the way a lot of the Heartland suppliers monitor the forum and are available to help us with a problem or just instructions person to person.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

Bdarrin1

I put in a DVD, started the movie, the picture was black and white and fuzzy. I tried a lot of things, then went to the setup, made a change and lost the picture completely and can't get back. What do I do now?

danemayer

I put in a DVD, started the movie, the picture was black and white and fuzzy. I tried a lot of things, then went to the setup, made a change and lost the picture completely and can't get back. What do I do now?
Hi Bdarrin1,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. There's a lot of useful information here along with a bunch of friendly, helpful people.

If I understand your situation, you can't go backwards on the menu settings because there's nothing showing on the TV screen since the last change. Fortunately, the manual says there's a reset to factory defaults: Press and hold MODE button for 10 seconds - Unit will shut off. Restart unit by pressing the ON button. Factory defaults will be reset with this type of restart.

If you don't have a hardcopy of the manual, you can download softcopy from the TOOLS/HEARTLAND OWNERS MANUAL section of this site. Here's a link to the Genesis manuals.

BobFields

Please email me directly. I can send you something to make it easier for you...