Bad Smell from Air Conditioner

jodi

Our '05 Landmark Grand Canyon has a odor problem which seems to be coming from the 2nd AC (Duo Therm heat pump) which is mounted in the ceiling of the bedroom. So far here in AZ this summer I've been using only the AC in the bedroom, as I wish to delay the use of the other as I don't like the noise. There seems to be an odor coming from the bedroom AC which is not pleasant; its hard to describe, perhaps something like a smelly sink drain. Last evening it got so bad that I finally turned it off and the smell went away. I've been cleaning the filters and went up on roof this a.m., took the cover off the unit and it looks and smells fine. Anyone have any ideas.

K

Ken Washington

jodi,
The A/C might be causing a draft on the tank valve that is under the sink. It is close to the sink trap and will screw off and you can replace it with a better one that has a spring in it. We had the same problem and I found one to replace it at ACE Hardware. While you are at is, change the one under the sink in the kitchen. Hope this is your problem and you get it fixed! Sorry that I don't know what it is called but I am sure someone will chime in on this.

Ken

tdharley

Yeah Bill

You gotta keep water in the P trap on the washer drain, shower drain & sink drains. Thats what they are there for, to keep out smells.

Does your unit recirculate and or vent? Try closing the vent, atleast that way you can figure out if the smell is coming from inside or out.

Any standing water in the drain pan? Check the weep hole.

If its a sweet smell it might be freon.

Also, Ken I think you are refering to the Pro vent. Lets air in but not out. We are not allowed to use them in new construction.

ct0218

Actually called a studor vent, after the inventor. It is allowed in new construction in the whole SE, and most of these states comply with the IBC. If the washer drain is not used it should have a cap on it to prevent odors out. Defective studor vents can let air in or out. If your kitchen is in a slideout you would have one, so check that. Some of the AC units have a selector for inside air or outside venting, so check and see if it does it on both settings.

tdharley

We are allowed to use them only on cabinet island were it is impossible to vent through the roof.

phranc

We had a studor valve go bad last year in the kitchen island.. The quick fix was a sandwich bag over the valve held in place by a rubber band.Also the fantastic fan will pull in odors. like Chopper Bill said , check the front closet as that is closest to the AC

ct0218

TDH--Correct, that is about the only place to use one. Nothing is as foolproof as a straight pipe, so that is what you use whenever possible. I don't remember seeing one used anywhere else in a home. I wouldn't be surprised to see them in other places in an RV though, and probably NOT top of the line either.

Dutchman

Most air conditioner coils will, over time, grow mold due to the moisture that accumulates on the evaporator coil. There are sprays available from appliance parts dealers that can be used on the coils to kill the mold and freshen the coil.....