Landmark Backup Camera Option

wqmiller

Trying to finalize an order for a San Antonio and the wife is recommending a backup camera so she doesn't have to get out of the truck in the rain to see what I am about to backover :( Question: Do any of you owners have experience/knowledge of the backup option offered by Landmark for the backup camera? Is the wireless function satisfactory? What size is the monitor? Are there better third party solutions?

Your comments would be a big help for my wife to decide if I need a camera :)

Quinton

jbeletti

In the past, the unit supplied in our offering was called CAMOS. I've had mixed success with it. Had mine replaced with one with a newer revision of firmware and it worked great again. Perfect picture and sound.

I understand what we offer now is a Voyager system. Voyager has been doing backup cameras for a long time, though I have not yet used their wireless unit. That we switched to Voyager gives me confidence to recommend that you try it.

The way either of these systems work/are installed:
- Wired camera is mounted high on rear cap
- Wire runs to front generator compartment
- Transmitter is mounted in front generator compartment
- DV power and Camera cable connects to transmitter
- Receiver is built into LCD monitor. Monitor mounts in cab of truck and wirelessly connects to transmitter

This said, one can not so easily, install their own system. Even a wired system. Wired systems work very well but require more cabling.

Best of luck to you and congrats in advance on your new Landmark San Antonio!

Jim

wqmiller

Thanks Jim for the update.....good to know....I have just taken a look at some of the offerings by Voyager and they appear to have quick a nice stable of cameras which means they have likely been successful. I was able to take a factory tour at Heartland on Tuesday and completely failed to inquire about this option because it wasn't on my list of things to discuss thus my question tonight. You're correct....the cabling is the difficult part to tackle and it is so much easier when done during manufacture.

Quinton

jbeletti

Quinton,

Sounds like you're getting closer :)

If you want more details on what we're using - go ahead and place a call to the factory (574-262-5992). Just ask for the Landmark sales team. They should be able to get you details.

Jim

mikeandconnie

Hi Quinton,
Please post the information you get from Landmark sales. I'm also interested in the backup camera.

Tks,
Mike

davebennington

Quinton,

We have a older Landmark and I installed a backup camera on it (hard wired). So far it has worked great and has helped us a lot when backing up, Julie goes out to help in backing rain or shine.
With the camera I can see her at all times and not back over her (darn no excuse now).
Seriously I would order the camera option you will not regret it.

dave

wqmiller

Michael,

I noticed your reference is for a slightly different model number than what Mike referenced.....WVOS511 vice WVO511. Wonder if this is just a typo difference or is there a technical difference? If your model reference is correct, it appears that LM has gone to a camera configuration whereby the wireless transmitter is in the camera NOT in a transmitter module located in the forward garage. Maybe Mike will comment for clarification....

Thanks,

Quinton

brianharrison

I am very interested to hear comments from anyone who has this system currently installed on a Landmark (or other 40's) - the lengths of our trailers have prevented previous wireless systems from being adequate when considering performance.

Digital wireless may be the way to go.....

Brian

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
Brian, we have it on our KL. The older version that is. We did have a pretty rough time getting it to work. We have had them send 2 different sets of the transmitter/ Receiver-Camera units to us. They are paired to each one so they had to send both. We finally have it working, and it works nicely. But that is the older version with the transmitter by our Gen Set. I can watch traffic to my rear while going down the road and really like knowing that I can get over without not seeing someone that is in a blind spot. If the new one works as good as the older version, I would definitely get another unit on my next coach.

brianharrison

Hi Michael or Kelly (i cannot remember which has the "2" handle). I am interested in this new one with the digital wireless (no transmitter beside generator). this would save the wiring from the back camera to the transmitter at the front of the 5th.

Brian

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
Hey Brian, Its Michael. I figured that your where interested in the new one, but I figured I would post and let those that did not realize that there was a difference in the two systems. I have not heard anyone say they had the new one yet. We will see how it works out.

JENSENRVdirect

I represent ASA Electronics, the producer of the JENSEN brand of televisions, stereos, and speakers, Voyager brand of observation monitors and cameras and the Advent brand of appliances. At ASA, we strive to provide excellent customer service and product satisfaction and would like to offer some assistance in this matter.

Our newest wireless observation system is indeed the WVOS511. This is a wireless design that integrates the wireless transmitter into the camera, thereby eliminating the need mount the transmitter on the front of the trailer and run a cable through the trailer between the camera and transmitter. All that is needed is to connect the camera to a +12V source, such as the rear clearance lights.

You can view the owner’s manual
HERE to see the installation instructions.

If you have any further questions, feel free to call us on our toll free technical support line at (877) 845-8750. We are available M-F 8:00 AM until 6:00 PM EDT.

We look forward to hearing back from you.

jbeletti

Hello Jensen,

Thank you for becoming active again on this forum! I have the Jensen backup camera system in my new demo coach that you describe in your post. It works awesome!

Connects fast. Excellent quality audio and video. Thanks for the link to the manual.

For all - I will place this manual in HOM (Heartland Owners Manuals) ASAP. Find manuals by clicking TOOLS on forum menu, then click on HOM.

Jim

brianharrison

Thanks Jim,

I purchased the new digital wireless back up camera (WVOS511) and it is on its way - I expected it this week however sometimes the Canada/US border creates delays with shipment times.......

I am looking forward to the simple installation. I was not that keen on trying to fish wire from the back of the trailer (up top) all the way to the front.

Can you provide some insight into how it is configured with power from factory - does the camera have 12V all the time (hot feed) and the monitor gets signal and can display all the time? Does the camera power down when the TV is disconnected? I am curious on how to wire the system in my retrofit installation. I have read the manual and am aware Jenson recommends tie in to the clearance lights; just curious if the factory wired differently.

Thanks in advance.

Take care,
Brian

jbeletti

Hi Brian,

You'll really like this new system.

Sorry, but I cannot confirm for you how we power the camera. But I'll send a note off to production to see if I can find out.

In a retrofit application, I doubt I would connect to the clearance light circuit, since you'd have to have the lights (at least running lights) on in order to use the camera.

If it were me in a retrofit situation, I'd tap the reading or sconce lights circuit in the rear cap area and feed that line up to the camera location.

As far as the monitor/receiver go, it comes with a DC power plug that plugs into a standard 12 volt receptacle. Plug it in, hit the power button and within a few seconds, it automatically acquires the transmitter and viola - you're watching the back of the rig!

Jim

brianharrison

Hi Jim (again)!

Thanks for your response. Yes I am not too keen on wiring the camera to the clearance lights, and as you mentioned the park lights would need to be turned on to power up the camera (this is the recommeded procedure in the ASA manual).

I would also not use your suggestion to tie into the reading or sconce lights as the camera would be "powered on" all the time, even when disconnected from the TV. It would be a parasitic draw and continually drain the battery (I boon dock a lot).

I am thinking my preferred option is to wire to the TV connector so that the camera is powered from the #4 battery charge (black) or the #7 aux/backup (yellow). With the #4 I can use the camera when driving down the road; #7 would only allow the camera to be used while the vehicle is in reverse (assuming the TV is wired correctly). Both would power down the camera when disconnected (I need to check to make sure power is not back fed to the trailer connection #4 when disconnected)

I am interested in how the factory wires this option; I will await your reply.

Thanks!

Brian