Rubber Roof not installed right

slb714

Brought the cyclone in last week, noticed my roof was coming out from under my front AC unit and when I ran the front unit I was getting some leakage on the inside of the camper, Repair man pulled my front AC unit up and said the roof was installed wrong from the factory, the hole they cut out for the AC unit is to big, he said the only way to fix it is to change out the whole roof, and to top that off We have black mold eveywhere!! INS is going look at it today but not sure if they are going to pay or not!

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Since your Cyclone is a few years old the second AC may have been a botched DIY job. The way that they are installed at the factory they are not cut completely out. They just cut an X across the opening.
I would call Heartland and having your VIN in hand they will be able to tell you if it came from them with the second AC.
As to repairing, consider using Eternabond tape. That stuff sticks and you may be able to lay a couple of strips across the short end to make it longer. I think that could work.
Heartland Customer Service
877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030

Peace
Dave

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
When buying a used RV all I can say is buyer beware. Remember there is usually a very good reason someone sells a perfectly good RV. Most people cannot afford to trade an RV in every year or two like one would do with a car. Good luck on getting it fixed. I agree with the previous post that it sounds like the problem could be with a poor after market install.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Oops, I just re read the OP. I mistakenly read "brought" to read "bought".
Sorry.

Peace
Dave

jbeletti

I guess the big question is: Was the A/C unit factory installed or dealer installed?

I was wondering the same thing. I'd encourage the OP to call Heartland this morning to open up a case on this. Heartland can confirm if it was installed at the plant or DIO (dealer installed option). And either way, hopefully can provide some insight on next steps.

To the OP, if you have taken images that are in good focus and well lit, consider forwarding them via email, along with your VIN and full contact information to Heartland Service at service@heartlandrvs.com Follow that up with a phone call to them to ensure receipt.

Jim

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
So, let's get this cleared up.
You bought the rig new. Who did the A/C install, factory or other?
If by someone other than factory, was the rig factory prepped for the 2nd a/c? This includes double rafters adjacent to the a/c hole. (For support)
Since the rig is almost 4 years old, how long has it been leaking?

The factory method of installing the a/c is to cut an X on the roof membrane. They then cut the opening in between the rafters. The flaps of the X get brought down and stapled to the opening. The extra material from the X is then trimmed and the a/c is wired and set into place. It's really a pretty simple job.

slb714

Not sure who installed the 2nd AC I will wait and see what INS says then go from there. Just noticed it leaking last week

slb714

Well just as I thought HeartLand is not going to help out with the Roof they are saying theres nothing wrong with the roof, that the A/C unit must have came loose to allow the roof to move out from under the unit..Im going to post some pics and yall can tell me what yall think

slb714

2012-02-20_11-30-30_242.jpg
[/IMG]
2012-02-20_11-30-57_500.jpg
[/IMG]

jnbhobe

If this was booched by someone doing an inexperienced install and its all on your shoulders I would first check for a 14"x14" opening providing the roof rafters were all good, I would shim it to size then clean the roof around the opening and get some Eternalbond and make some patches, get a new gasket and reinstall the ac unit. When thightening the new gasket pull it down to about 60% of its thickness.

donr827

Brought the cyclone in last week, noticed my roof was coming out from under my front AC unit and when I ran the front unit I was getting some leakage on the inside of the camper, Repair man pulled my front AC unit up and said the roof was installed wrong from the factory, the hole they cut out for the AC unit is to big, he said the only way to fix it is to change out the whole roof, and to top that off We have black mold eveywhere!! INS is going look at it today but not sure if they are going to pay or not!

I had the same problem with my current SOB. The trailer manufacturer agreed that it was a manufacturing installation problem. This was verified by three separate rv shops. They paid for a new roof, two sheets of roofing osb, interior paneling and drawer top. The total cost paid was $9,200. I caught it 8 days before the warranty ran out.
Don

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Well just as I thought HeartLand is not going to help out with the Roof they are saying theres nothing wrong with the roof, that the A/C unit must have came loose to allow the roof to move out from under the unit..Im going to post some pics and yall can tell me what yall think

slb714,

Is this the dealer telling you Heartland wouldn't cover it, or did you send the pics to HL and speak to them directly? After seeing the pics, I'm confused why the roof had a cut-out, and not an X and the pieces folded in to cover the edges of the opening.

If you yourself have not contacted HL and sent them these pics, I would do so. I have seen too many posts where dealers "blame" HL for not handling/covering/shipping this or that, when my experience has been the opposite when talking with HL directly.

If HL did the install, they may try to make it right. If HL did not and the dealer did the install, HL may be able to back you on how the install was botched, and your beef is with the dealer.

slb714

I sent an email with pics and talked to them on the phone, and they are telling me that theres nothing wrong with the way the cut was performed!! Yes thats what he told me! Thought Heartland would stand behind there product!!

porthole

Retired
Unless I missed it, who installed the AC has not been posted yet.
Find it hard to believe that was installed at the factory that way. Unless it was a new guy who cut it and the next guy just blew it off, it seems like a botched half-assed dealer install.

I sent an email with pics and talked to them on the phone, and they are telling me that theres nothing wrong with the way the cut was performed!!

I would forward that response up the food chain.