What to use to fill gaps in front storage compartment.

MaryandSteve

Past Indiana Chapter Leader (Founding)
I have daylight showing in the bottom corners of the front storage compartment. Was wondering what to use to fill the gaps so rain and dirt won't get in going down the road.

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
I saw a thread where the poster used some door screen and expanding foam insulation. Looked like a great idea that I'll be trying this spring. maybe they will see this a post a link???

MC9

If all I had was daylight I would probably sprayfoam. My Sundance had places a raccoon could climb in. I used aluminum roof flashing and self drilling screws. (I still find an occasional acorn though).

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I've used Great Stuff and trimmed it after a few days of dry time. Something very similar must be available in black because it seems like the same type material that Heartland uses around the other gaps in the storage areas.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I bought the black Great Stuff at a store that sells stuff to build outdoor garden ponds.

Peace
Dave

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
No wonder I couldn't find the black foam, I didn't know it was for ponds. Anyhoo, I used the window screen with the regular foam to seal the gaps between the front wall and the compartment. The screen is formed into a loose U-shape and placed in the gap from inside the compartment and then the foam is sprayed into it from bottom to top. The screen keeps the foam from running out the other side and all over the ground. Check the seam along the front of the floor pan, too. Might need a bead of foam along there, too.

The photo is looking in from the battery/pump compartment on the DS.
View attachment 17787

I have the same issue on our 2985RL Big Horn. Hadn't seen this before in any of our previously owned FW so contacted Heartland and they stated this is the way they're built. I consider this to be a major quality/design flaw.

GOTTOYS

I have the same issue on our 2985RL Big Horn. Hadn't seen this before in any of our previously owned FW so contacted Heartland and they stated this is the way they're built. I consider this to be a major quality/design flaw.
Major design flaw?? It's just a little gap between the outer skin and inner wall of a storage area. Doesn't bother me in the least. All I store in there is my Blue Boy tank, lawn chairs and outside rug. I kind of like a little air circulation in there as often the items are wet when put away. I would think of a major design flaw as something that could cause the suspension to fall off or the sides to split open, not a small gap along the edge of a storage compartment that can easily be sealed up..JMHO...Don

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
When I was in Elkhart in March, I took a picture of the black foam used at the plant.

Thanks, Jim. I'm going to look for this product, as I think it is a good deterrent to keep small vermin out. The black blends in nicely. Trace

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
If you just have small cracks to fill ,tape it off as if to spray paint and use rubberized undercoating spray.........Kenny

Westwind

The purpose of the compartment is to house a generator which needs air to run properly that's the purpose of the openings I'm sure. Without the generator most use it for storage ( We have our bikes in it). I'm going to make it as weather tight as i can so when we are on the road what's in it will stay dry.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
If you use the front only for storage, as we do, the gaps are a highway to heaven for mice. From there, they can easily access the rest of the basement and the overhang of the front cap. Run a coat hanger up between the floor and outside skin and see if you don't find nesting materials in there. That black rice you find is not an Oriental delicacy.

As far as venting for a generator, a screened vent panel on the front wall would probably do the job better than irregular gaps in the walls.

I filled the wall gaps using screen and expanding foam, and filled the gap at the top of the compartment with foam pipe insulation sections. Also ran a bead of foam along the small gap between the bottom floor tray and wall.

Bobby A

I used the great stuf and then used a can of black spray paint after it dried, worked fine for me, you can't see it from the outside anyway.