Major Hydraulic Leak

I have a 2011 Landmark San Antonio. I was putting one of my slide outs out, when it stopped working. I discovered hydraulic fluid leaking from under the RV. Problem - almost all of the fluid was gone. I added some, but when I tried to bring the slide out back in, it just pumped the fluid out the leak. I also was not able to get the front jacks up (hydraulic). Is there anyway to retract slideouts and jacks when you loose the fluid. By adding fluid, just pumped it out on the ground.

Thanks

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Re: Major Hydraulic Lead

BillandHelga, welcome to the forum. This is a great place to share information.
If your leak is around a slide somewhere, use the selector valves located at the pump and turn off the slides. You should then be able to retract your landing gear.
You may also be able to retract all but one slide using the selector valves. When you isolate that one, try to use a wrench on the square connecting rod between the the two pinion gears and retract the slide manually. You will then have to secure it in the closed position using a ratchet strap.
When time permits, you might take down the coroplast belly material near the slide rams and see if you can identify the leaky area.

Peace
Dave

cookie

Administrator
Staff member

At your hydraulic pump, there should be some small valves. Clockwise turns the slide off and CC will open the valve. They should be marked. If not just turn them all off and open one at a time to identify the slide they control.

Peace
Dave

Dave, you mentioned ratchet strap, do you mean I will need to wrap it around the unit and slide to prevent it from coming out while traveling?

Thanks again, Bill

cookie

Administrator
Staff member

Bill, when I had a problem I was able to use the hooks on the straps to attach them under the slide to what ever was stationary. My straps were only about two feet long.
Hope that makes sense.

Peace
Dave

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member

Just as a question. Rather than trying to run the slide in by turning that square rod with a wrench, would it be possible to pull the slide in by using the ratchet strap itself, possibly using the outer ram mount as the gripping point? Most of them are rated to 1500 lbs. and I don't think the slide is that heavy. If the ram is not resisting it, seems the slide should roll back in on the gear tracks.

caissiel

When they were using the gear system on sides I have helped many owners push their's in, it takes almost 4 men to push one in so a 1500lbs strap would surely push one in, even 2 would be better, the gears still will guide the slide in straight.

JohnDar

When they were using the gear system on sides I have helped many owners push their's in, it takes almost 4 men to push one in so a 1500lbs strap would surely push one in, even 2 would be better, the gears still will guide the slide in straight.

Good to know, Laurent. I always have a set available in my truck for securing large items in the bed.

Just as a question. Rather than trying to run the slide in by turning that square rod with a wrench, would it be possible to pull the slide in by using the ratchet strap itself, possibly using the outer ram mount as the gripping point? Most of them are rated to 1500 lbs. and I don't think the slide is that heavy. If the ram is not resisting it, seems the slide should roll back in on the gear tracks.
What do you mean by the outer ram mount

JohnDar

What do you mean by the outer ram mount

Don't know the technical term, but I'm referring to where the end of the hydraulic ram connects to the outboard side of the slide. That's where it exerts the force to push out or pull in. That's also probably the strongest point at which to connect the ratchet strap hook to pull the slide in.

caissiel

I just learned something, It is a good Idea to turn the square rod axles for the alignment gears, as these gears will drive the slide in. It's a slow process but will surely work.

wildwolfproducts

So the slides on the Hartland Landmark units work off the pump? What is the cables along the sides for? Learning something new each day. Does anyone know of a site that shows how these slides are built? Along with showing how they work?
Also is there an issue with getting fluid all over the carpet when this failure happens?
Pete

jbeletti

Pete,

If you have cables on the sides of a slide, that slide is an electric slide. Norco or Bal system.

Jim

JohnDar

So the slides on the Hartland Landmark units work off the pump? What is the cables along the sides for? Learning something new each day. Does anyone know of a site that shows how these slides are built? Along with showing how they work?
Also is there an issue with getting fluid all over the carpet when this failure happens?
Pete

The only hydraulic slide where that might occur would be the bedroom. The ram is under the bed frame. All others are outside and below the slide floors. Depending on the extent of the leak, you might not even be able to see it unless you dumped a lot of fluid.

wildwolfproducts

Pete,

If you have cables on the sides of a slide, that slide is an electric slide. Norco or Bal system.

Jim

I may be thinking of a different unit. As we have looked at so many within the last 2 months. On the heartland landmarks do they come with electric or hydraulic slide ?