Might buy a 183 - looking for user info

MountainTop

Now that we know our 181 is totalled, we're starting the search for a replacement. We like some of the features of the 183 and would like to hear from any of you who owns one. Upsides? Downsides? How do you use the bunks? Do you actually store a bike inside as the floorplan suggests? Do you notice the lack of windows on the bunk end (in terms of both light and ventilation)?

In online photos we've noticed that some 183s have a tall exterior hatch at the end of the lower bunk while other units have the standard 11" high hatch. Anyone know why this is? If you have the tall door, is it an advantage?

plumber54

Mountain!
We got our 183 late in the year just past but did take some trips, plain old camping and Christmas with the kids which is a 963 1/2 mile one way trip which went rather well considering it was our first long range trip!!! My wife picked the floor plan the of the 183 for two reasons. The bunks are a great place to store stuff otherwise there is not much!! The large door is to put regular size bikes in--lift the bunk and open the door! We have fold up bikes and they work well under the bunk. The other reason she picked the bunks is a place to put the grand kids!!!!!!!!! The bunks take living space but it's a good trade off for extra storage. As for lack of windows---well , The peep hole in the doors are a waste so I'm going to replace it with a porthole I got a few years ago on a diving trip. I think that would supply all the extra light we need and be a little bit more funcitional!! Well good luck with your search.
BT

RAZORBILL

We just got our 183 last month. It doesn't have the large door to the bunk area, just the small hatch to the storage below. We wanted bunks for the kids and y wife and I use the forward dinette area for our bed. Just took it out for it's maiden voyage and it was great. As for bikes they will either go in the rear bumper in a bike rack or stay home. I didn't think of the lack of rear windows as an issue really. As for ventilation the door is right next to the bunks so if ventilation is needed you can't beat the screen door. I like the idea of putting a traditional window in the door as plumber54 brought up. Good luck in your search!!