Cargo Door Problem left side

wfwilson

Founding Canadian Region Director - Retired
The cargo door on the left side where the drain valves has started to bind. Had not problem at first but now it is binding at the bottom right near the latch. The door is on by pop rivets and it is not a normal hinge. I do not see any adjustment. You have to really push the door toward the front of the trailer from the bottom right in order to get it closed.
Any ideas how to adjust?
Thanks for all idea.
Wayne

L'l John

I have the same problem with the cargo door on that side.
I can slide the door from front to back until it binds on the back side. Slide it forward and it binds on the front side. It has about 3/4 inch wiggle room.
Maybe someone will let us know how to stabilize the wiggle room.

Forrest Fetherolf

The cargo door binding can be eliminated by drilling out the pop rivet on each end of the upper hinge and sliding the plastic stops inside the hinge to center the door in the opening. Pop rivets or screws can be used to hold the plastic stops in place.

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
Forrest Fetherolf said:
The cargo door binding can be eliminated by drilling out the pop rivet on each end of the upper hinge and sliding the plastic stops inside the hinge to center the door in the opening. Pop rivets or screws can be used to hold the plastic stops in place.

Forrest, is right and a pretty easy fix. I had both propane doors that wouldn't close right. They dropped down, and had to lift up to open or close them. Drilled out the lower pop rivet only, adjusted and replaced pop rivet. Make sure you use aluminum or stainless screws or pop rivets. Side to side doors probably will need to replace both rivets.

Ken

jbeletti

I did not know that! My UDC door always requires a little lift up when opening. Thanks for the fix idea Forrest and Ken.

Jim

wfwilson

Forrest and Ken
Thanks for the info. Fist let me say I am new and not two swift at this type of stuff. I looked at the door and all the pop rivets are on the hinge. The little spacer at the bottom looks a bit chewed up. Do you drill the bottom pop rivets on the hinge and door? Does that allow the spacer to move and then where do you put the screws hole it in place ?
Might be basic to everyone but I don't even own a pop rivet gun.
Thanks for your help!
Wayne

wfwilson

SORRY I went back and relooked I see the Pop rivet on the outside of the hinge. I see what you mean. My spacer is chewed at the bottom I will have to So something for it.
Thanks
Wayne
PS I should look closer before I Post

Forrest Fetherolf

When you drill out the pop rivets use a 1/8" drill bit to remove the top of the inter shank and head of pop rivet, once removed, the plastic stops will slide inside the track to center the door. If you don't have a pop riveter use a short screw about 1/2" long x 1/8" diameter to secure the stops.

Attachments

• Door Hinge001.JPG
    Door Hinge001.JPG
    148.8 KB · Views: 47
  • Door Hinge002.JPG
    Door Hinge002.JPG
    153.9 KB · Views: 41

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
wfwilson said:
SORRY I went back and relooked I see the Pop rivet on the outside of the hinge. I see what you mean. My spacer is chewed at the bottom I will have to So something for it.
Thanks
Wayne
PS I should look closer before I Post

Never be sorry for questions on this forum, we have all been in the same pickle jar and up a creek without a paddle. I still over look the easy fixes first and start looking at worst first, makes one feel kinda bad sometimes when it's something simple. To me the forum is for help not bashing the man, I do that on the phone. I have received a lot of help on this forum and hope to give a little back , lots of knowledgeable members here and I thank them. NO QUESTION IS MINOR. I guess I should say sorry was on a soap box. ;) Good Luck on the fix and post again if problems. ---Ken

L'l John

Forrest Fetherolf said:
When you drill out the pop rivets use a 1/8" drill bit to remove the top of the inter shank and head of pop rivet, once removed, the plastic stops will slide inside the track to center the door. If you don't have a pop riveter use a short screw about 1/2" long x 1/8" diameter to secure the stops.

Thanks for that info. I will try your suggestion.
John

Forrest Fetherolf

Jim Beletti said:
I did not know that! My UDC door always requires a little lift up when opening. Thanks for the fix idea Forrest and Ken.

Jim B.

:) This is a pretty darn good forum...........right!!!!! Amazing what we can learn by reading and/or asking questions.:)

Another few months at this pace and all of us Heartland owners will be professional RV "fixer-uppers".

You did good making this forum happen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks
Forrest

jbeletti

Aw gee shucks. There ya go Forrest, makin' me blush and all :eek:

But yeah, when I see all of these posts from product owners really trying to help out other product owners, it really makes it worth the time to keep this thing going.

My thank you to you and everyone else here who has done their best to contribute in a constructive way.

Jim

nhunter

Now you tell me! I have struggling in silence for the last year every time I open that door. Now I have a job tommorrow.