Faulty Grab Handle

Occo

Has anyone ever had the grab handle at the door break when using it? We did, both fittings broke when someone was using it to climb the steps. Fortunately they were not hurt but it could have been bad if they had fallen. It is the large one that folds closed when traveling. I think it is a Stromberg Carlson. I am hesitant to replace it with the same one. Any suggestions? I hope the factory and the manufacturer see this. I have sent a nasty gram to S.C. Bill

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I've personally never heard of one breaking but I'm sure it has happened. Glad no one got hurt.

Terry H

Past Texas North Chapter Leader/Moderator
Staff member
Where or what part of the handle broke? It would be nice to know, so other owners could do a inspection and maybe preventive maintenance.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
A picture would be nice, so that everyone that has one thats been installed for a few years should be looking at. Thanks for the info, I am sure that the pieces that broke are plastic and over the years plastic will break when it sits in the sun enough. Please post some pictures so maybe we can stop someone from getting hurt by a part that should have been replaced if it is stress.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
One fault that I've heard about is the possibility of the inner matal parts rusting. Probably the bolts that hold things together inside the plastic housing. I read this on a forum quite a while ago and the preventative fix is to drill a drain hole in the bottom center of both plastic mounting brackets.

Occo

Hi All,

I am trying to track down the manfacture of this. Stromberg-Carlsen claims it is not theirs. The unit is a 2009 and make the handle about 2-3 years old. I would hope it wouldn't deteriorate that fast. Here is a picture.

Attachments

• P2120049.JPG
    P2120049.JPG
    451.4 KB · Views: 73

Occo

Kenny,

Thanks for the reply. I have looked at theirs and it is not the same. I am leaning toward Marson International. So far I cannot substantiate it.

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
Have you called Heartland Customer Service with your VIN they should be able to tell you who the handle supplier was for your rig.

jimtoo

Hi Occo,

When you get the information please post it so we will all know. I checked mine today, it looks just like your broken parts, but I can find no information about it in original paper work or on the handle.
Mine has no visible cracks or anything I can see at this time.

Thanks
Jim M

wdk450

Terry and All:
While you are checking out the steps grab handle also check out the steps themselves. Mine had the support limit bar break off due to metal fatigue on the side pieces. It was re-welded.
This is maybe more dangerous than the handle breaking.

Where or what part of the handle broke? It would be nice to know, so other owners could do a inspection and maybe preventive maintenance.

Occo

Jim and All,

After talking with the factory it appears the handle I had was a Cheng RV-3001. I am replacing it with a ITC Stow and Go. It appears to be built very strong.