What is the difference between Landmark and Bighorn??

redwahine

We love the Bighorn floor plan 3610RL and find that the Landmark Rushmore is identical. Really want to know what the difference is. More options for the price. Higher grade of construction, etc. thanks

MTPockets

Don't think there is any difference in construction. We toured the plant in Indiana in September just before we ordered our Big Horn, and Big Horns and Landmarks were being built side by side. Only difference we could see was cosmetic and options. We would have gone with Landmark but the size we wanted was only offered in Big Horn.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
The frame is also bigger. Also the axles are bigger. If you really look at the Heartland Website you will see many differences. I was looking at a 3610 but once I started comparing cost and options, I decided to go with the Landmark.

FordMan1966

We have a Landmark Grand Canyon ordered and when we started pricing the Bighorn with partial body paint and all of the options that we wanted, there was not much difference to get the Landmark from this particular dealer that we were working with. Can't wait for another 3 to 4 weeks to get here for the new Landmark to arrive in Chocolate Full Body Paint. Both are nice RVS.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
The frame is also bigger. Also the axles are bigger. If you really look at the Heartland Website you will see many differences. I was looking at a 3610 but once I started comparing cost and options, I decided to go with the Landmark.

According to the HL website, the 3610 has 7K axles, just like the Landmarks. I suspect the frames are identical, as well, to the larger Bighorns.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
I looked at the website. The BH has a 10" frame standard and the LM has a 12". I did not look at the axles, sorry for the mis-info.

JohnDar

I looked at the website. The BH has a 10" frame standard and the LM has a 12". I did not look at the axles, sorry for the mis-info.

Bighorn's with quad slides, like mine, the 3580 and the 3610, have 12" frames, according to the BH catalog. But 10" is standard on all other BH's.

MTPockets

GVWR on the Landmarks is a bit higher size for size. 12" frame vs. 10" frame is probably the difference. We did note that difference when we toured the plant and went with the Big Horn as we wanted the shorter 5vr. We did order some of the Landmark upgrades - 7000 lb. axles and yeti pkg, hi-gloss exterior, G rated Goodyears... Seeing them put togehter from the inside out though - construction is the same as I said. We would have ordered a Landmark had they offered one about 34 Ft. long. I would get the Landmark if considering the larger Big Horn.

I have a 2011 Big Country 3450TS and it has the 12 inch frame and came with 7,000 lb axles, and G rated tires.
The construction is the same as the Big Horn and Landmark, options are somewhat different.
You will find options for Big Country that are not available on the other 2 units.
Check out the Big Country in the comparison charts.

Hockster

======================================================================================================================================

brianharrison

Landmark has 100 gal fresh water tank - 73 for Bighorn (last I checked),
Landmark higher R value on floor insulation (R35 vs R23)
Landmark higher rated Converter - typically 80amp vs 60amp
optional generator for Landmark (bighorn?)
Landmark has 40# LP tanks, Bighorn 30# LP

With the larger water payload - tire ratings is G on the landmark - I am aware the factory does option up the tire rating on Bighorns if specified.

Some of the differences I remember.

Hope this helps
Brian

brianharrison

Our 2009 BC has 12" frame and G rated tires, the larger units have this.

Thanks Bill, that's good to know for the older Big Country units.

The current Heartland web page does not show the G rated tires as standard on the Bighorn or Big Country. I am aware of the option to increase tire rating to G on some of these units, as some owners have stated.

I did see some of the newer BCs do have 20 gal water heaters, vs 12 in the Landmark and Bighorn - again as stated on the webpage - there may be updates to the standard options recently that are not shown on the Heartland home site.

THe OP was asking about differences between Landmark and Bighorn - however I would consider the Big Country as a strong contender to the Landmark --> there, I made a stand. :rolleyes:

Take care,
Brian

FordMan1966

I was told by the Heartland Dealer recently that G Rated Goodyears were about a $1,000 option on the Bighorn. Well worth it. When we figured the Bighorn partial body and all of the options there was not much difference to get the Landmark Full Body Paint well equipped.

Thanks Bill, that's good to know for the older Big Country units.

The current Heartland web page does not show the G rated tires as standard on the Bighorn or Big Country. I am aware of the option to increase tire rating to G on some of these units, as some owners have stated.

I did see some of the newer BCs do have 20 gal water heaters, vs 12 in the Landmark and Bighorn - again as stated on the webpage - there may be updates to the standard options recently that are not shown on the Heartland home site.

THe OP was asking about differences between Landmark and Bighorn - however I would consider the Big Country as a strong contender to the Landmark --> there, I made a stand. :rolleyes:

Take care,
Brian

JohnDar

Don't confuse having G-rated tires on a Bighorn with ordering Goodyear G-rated tires. My BH came with G-rated Freestars on it as standard. If it's got 7000 lb. axles, it's got a G-rated tire on it from the factory. What no-name brand it is is up for grabs, though.

DW_Gray

Also the difference depends on what your tow truck is. Do you have a correctly equipped F250 or one of the new 3500/F350 trucks? GVWR is an issue too.

JohnDar

Time to toss this one out to the general population. Brian and I have been having a PM discussion about the HL specs on the website vs. the print catalogs. The website for BH shows only E-rated tires being offerred yet there are 6K axles for the lighter rigs and 7K's for the heavier rigs. My position is that you can't put E-rated tires on a 7K axle and say its a 7K assembly. The tires limit it to barely over 6K. G-rated tires would give 7500 lbs. carrying capacity, but the 7K axle becomes the limiting factor, making it a 7K system. Methinks there is a mismatch between the print catalog specs. and the website specs. What say you? Do all BH's, regardless of model, now come with E-rated tires mounted on both the 6K and 7K axles?

brianharrison

John, would you consider pulling this one out of the OP's thread and put it into it's own topic in general discussion or axle/suspension or even ATF?

Thanks for taking this forward.

Brian

JohnDar

John, would you consider pulling this one out of the OP's thread and put it into it's own topic in general discussion or axle/suspension or even ATF?

Thanks for taking this forward.

Brian

Good idea. I think ATF might be the best bet.