Cold Weather Camping/Living

readytohitheroad

My better half and I are going to purchase a Landmark w/ the yeti package and dual pain windows.

Our question is this: Until we retire we will spend the winter months in an area (eastern New Mexico)where the nighttime temperatures can get into the low teens on occassion. Will our rig be able to handle this without freezing water lines, etc?

Would assume we would add supplemental heating to the basement area when it gets cold like this.

jimtoo

HI readytohittheroad,

I would think that you need to check the water lines to be sure none are against the frame or metal. Using your furnace will divert some heat to the enclosed area under the floor. I know a few do add a couple of lights in the basement area also.

I'm sure you will get some more answers here also.

Enjoy the forum and your new Landmark.

Jim M

danemayer

You'll be very comfortable.

We've had our 2011 Rushmore in the Colorado mountains twice for extended ski trips. Last year temps were below zero (F) almost nightly and as low as -30 one night, -20 two nights. We run the thermostat at 74 to keep the underbelly warm. We also have the fireplace option which keeps the back end warm. We also have dual pane windows. No matter how much the furnace runs, the water line to the kitchen can still freeze when it gets to about -15. The water line to the bathroom freezes at -20. Temps in the low teens should not be a problem.

The Yeti package will give you tank heaters (which we have) and heat tape on the main water line (which we don't have - not sure if that's the main from the fresh tank, or something else).

Our biggest problem below zero is the gate valves on the tanks. We use a 3" heated/insulated sewer pipe and keep the gray tanks open (so we don't have to deal with those valves until we dump the black tank. I plan to dump the tank every 6 days and watch the temperature forecast to dump on warmer days. That way the valves have defrosted even if they did freeze. In the low teens I wouldn't expect valves to freeze.

I run a 100W heat lamp behind the basement wall, pointed at the water pump and plumbing lines. I run a 60W drop light in the UDC to keep the incoming water lines warm. And of course the city water hose is heated and insulated. I tried a Pirit Heated Hose but it quit after a few weeks. The replacement worked for a few weeks last year and a few days this season, then it failed. Instead of another, I added heat tape and insulation to the failed hose.

We don't have a skirt.

If you'll be in one place for a while, get a 100# or larger external LP tank and have the LP company make you a hose with overpressure shutoff so it doesn't damage your regulator. Keep one of your 40# tanks full, in reserve so you always have a fallback at 3AM.

Another thing: there was a storm this season that knocked power out for about 8 hours. The furnace draws a lot of power - you'll run your battery down pretty quick. We have 2 batteries and ran for a couple of hours on battery, then fired up the LP Generator for a couple of hours to recharge the batteries, fire up the tank heaters, and turn on the basement/UDC lamps, and heat tape on hose and sewer lines. Without the generator, we might have had some frozen lines and a cold coach.

Birchwood

An extended ski trip is not the same as living and working from an RV when temps are in the teens.
RV living in the cold is not fun.We experience cold temps before we leave Canada in November each year.
We have to leave water running at night and use a whole lot of propane but its only short lived as we leave
for Florida Nov 1.

danemayer

An extended ski trip is not the same as living and working from an RV when temps are in the teens.

We were there for 6 weeks and don't leave the water running. But then again, maybe it's colder where you were.

Maybe you can elaborate on what's not the same.

caissiel

I have spend a complete winter in an RV with winter temperatures in the -20's. I used skirting to protect the tank area, but for our units, it would be from the axles to the front. I used the Fresh water tank, and only filled on warmer days. Dumped on above freezing days. Used windshield water in the tanks after dumping to protect the valves. A cupfull goes a long way in protecting a valve.

We do leave in late november each year and have to heat the unit till departure. Having dual pane windows makes the inside much more comfortable. The low drain valve has been rerouted to be protected by the corroplast cover.
We use the fresh water tank mostly, and fill on warmer days, and dump only on warmer days. Our unit is very dependable down to 0 F and the Fireplace is used to supplement the furnace.
I have a digital thermostate that is set at 72 at 8am, 68 at 10AM 72F at 4PM and 60F at 12PM we are retired and we adjust it when required but the fireplace runs most of the time because our electric fireplace is more efficient then the furnace. Never ever had any freezing situation, because I have digital thermostats that I monitor the tank area and outside temperatures.

When we leave for the south we live in the unit during the trip and have sleeped in it as far down to 10F and were comfortable inside with the furnace set on manual control because thermostat control kills the batteries in a few hrs.
This unit has never been winterized and never frooze.

You need to use common sence and never expose the water to freezing.

2psnapod1

Texas-South Chapter Leader-Retired
We live full-time in our Key Largo and have the Yeti package & dual pane windows. We are currently in Alabama so we don't get below 35 too often. Although in the last week we've had lows in the low 20s about 3 times. We just made sure we had water in the tank, unhooked the hose from the coach, turned on the Yeti package and all was well! We also have a fireplace and a space heater that we use to help heat the coach. With both of them going the furnace/heat pumps come on infrequently.

IMHO the dual pane windows are a must as they helped reduce the heat inside the coach this summer when we were experiencing high 90s and low 100s. They're dual 'purpose'!

You may want to consider a fireplace, as well...it's a great addition and saves on propane - especially if you are parked where electric is included.

Good luck with your purchase.

fljlcw

we have been F/T for 7 years are currently in Carrizozo nm retired from Roswell NM PM me your # and I will call you and welcome to the group Fred

Brandon.Prewitt

We're full time in Denver City Texas, about 50 miles East of Hobbs New Mexico. Been here since May of last year when I purchased it. I have insulated and heat traced my water hose and spigot. That's about it. Keep the heater on 63 to warm the underbelly. We use the fireplace and space heaters as needed. Mine is 4 season, I don't think any of the tanks or lines are traced.

More heat in the basement can't hurt but we don't need it.