R4Tech suspension system ordered...

mmomega

AnyTimer
Well I finally decided to go ahead and bite the bullet and order the Firestone R4Tech system for the truck. Me and Porthole have been discussing it back and forth for a while and it looks like a great system so I'm hoping that in about 2 weeks I'll have that definitive answer on...was it worth it.

For those that aren't too familiar with the system, it is a self leveling air-bag over leaf spring system. It completely replaces the entire rear stock suspension. Basically instead of having a huge stiff leaf spring pack of 5 or more steel springs to carry the load, you will have 1 single leaf spring that is rated for the unloaded weight of your truck, supposedly a 1 ton will ride more like a 1/2 ton but we'll see.
It also has a lower J-Link spring that attaches to the bottom of the axle to the frame to control any type of axle-wrap. On top of the leaf-spring is fairly large Firestone airbag that is used for leveling and carrying capacity. Once the system detects more weight was added the airbags fill up to level out the loaded ride height.
These are also paired with a set of true Rancho 9000XL air adaptive shocks that are tied into the system. They automatically change their resistance with the amount of air that is in the airbags.

System also comes with an on-board frame mounted air-tank and compressor. Was also thinking of 'T-ing' into that and put me a fitting that I can connect to in case I need to hook up an aux air hose for my tires or whatever else. I've seen some guys do this with the air tank they added for their air horns.

I should also drop about 140lbs worth of weight going from stock to this system.

This will definitely take longer to install than the helper springs I put on our other truck.

Last edited:

brianharrison

oOoooooo. I am drooling over your new setup - congratulations.

Regarding an auxilliary air supply port - it is a good idea providing the spare volume/compressor capacity can deliver the volume/rate demanded by your auxilliary connection. In previous air ride systems I have installed - I have used this auxilliary port as a way to ADD air in an emergency (compressor crapped out).

Brian

mmomega

AnyTimer
oOoooooo. I am drooling over your new setup - congratulations.

Regarding an auxilliary air supply port - it is a good idea providing the spare volume/compressor capacity can deliver the volume/rate demanded by your auxilliary connection. In previous air ride systems I have installed - I have used this auxilliary port as a way to ADD air in an emergency (compressor crapped out).

Brian

I hear you there. I'm going to try out the compressor + tank that comes with the kit if it does fine it'll stay or I may just jump to a Viair compressor. The kit tank has a 3 gal tank, a lot of the Viair kits I've been looking at were 2.5 gals. I'm just not sure on what the CFM of the kit compressor is.

I came across a member from a Super Duty forum (who does great vids btw) and noticed where he located his aux connection and was just thinking of copying him.
Right at the 3:15 mark is where he installs his.

porthole

Retired
Hey JD - I saw on the truck forum you are changing out the front shocks - what are you doing with the Bilsteins? Could be interested.

Didn't you get the fake rancho's with the truck?

mmomega

AnyTimer
Yeah I had the fake Ranchos on for about 4 months before I bought the Bilsteins.
I actually just picked up the Rancho 9000XL's today and they are on the truck. I set them to setting 3 and went down a few slightly bumpy roads and to tell the truth the front end felt smoother, I didn't have time to just go joy riding. Maybe this weekend.

The Bilsteins... actually I'm not 100% what to do with yet. My stepson is thinking about trying them on the 2007 but he's also talking about getting a lift kit so he would need larger shocks that these anyway. Once the R4 comes in.... which they told me could be yet another week or two... I'll get the rear Bilsteins off and put them back in the boxes and up for sale. You can have 1st dibs on them if you want them. I'll know more in the next week or so.

Here's a pic with showing the size difference between the two. I meant to get a shot of the Fake Ranchos in the shot as well.
Just a little road dust on the Bilsteins, the bottom half I just rubbed with my hand and they came clean like they were new.

Attachments

• IMG_0594.jpg
    IMG_0594.jpg
    833.3 KB · Views: 71

porthole

Retired
I thought all the R4 parts were now available for the 2011's and up. What, are they making the brackets one at a time?

The Saturday mornings truck show just did another truck, this time a SRW.

mmomega

AnyTimer
They called Firestone while I was there ordering it and was told they manufacture each kit per order and they said 2 weeks, 3 tops. It has been 2 weeks and I had 4wheelparts call Firestone again and they said another 1-2 weeks. So I'm not sure where the holdup is because it's not as if I had custom brackets made, either way. I may call firestone directly tomorrow and see what's going on.
I'm just wanting this thing installed before our next trip which is the 14th.

Which show? I've only seen 1 install and it was on a white F250.

mmomega

AnyTimer
update:

I was told it could be another 2 weeks from today.
It has been a month, getting slightly irritated just because they keep saying "another 2 weeks" every 2 weeks.

The day I ordered the system I was there when my vendor called the company directly and was quoted 2 weeks, 3 at the most.
On March 1st I emailed the manufacturer and they replied, " it will take a few more days to get our kits from the warehouse to Ft. Worth."
I emailed again this morning and was told the kits may start shipping next week. I called the vendor which got in touch with Firestone and was told another 2 weeks. So who knows. $2,200 out of the bank account just... floating around.

I would probably feel better about the entire process if I would be updated on the ETA, even once a week. Just needed to vent for a minute. I'll update thread IF the kit makes it or I find a different kit to buy before then.

mmomega

AnyTimer
no kidding, but I think I've decided to just grin and bare it. By the time I ordered anything else and it got here the R4 "should" be here.
They either got a ton of orders in at once or it takes a seriously long time to make 2 springs since that is why it has been and is on hold for 4+ weeks. Hopefully it gets worked out.

porthole

Retired
JD - I received this note today from Tony.

We received the parts Friday and they're now on their way to our warehouse in Indy. The F02S spring will start to ship by the end of the week.

Thanks for your patience.​

mmomega

AnyTimer
Is that ship by the end of this week or last week?

When I emailed him on Tuesday the 13th and this is what I got.
Our springs shipped from our plant last Friday and they're on the way to our warehouse in Indy. They should be checked into stock by the end of the week and with any luck ship out to our vendors beginning of next week.

Which leads me to think this should be the magical week. I have a trip coming up Thursday and would really love to have it on by then. I may call the vendor tomorrow around noon and see if they've heard anything. I can have it on in a day. I just need the parts.

mmomega

AnyTimer
That's good to hear. You may end up with a kit before I do.
The vendor checked today and Firestone is still saying it could be this week, it could be next week or longer.
It is kind of funny that any website I check that sells the kit shows "order today: 8-10 day shipping" I'm at 35 days and counting or 25 business days.

porthole

Retired
JD, get your kit yet?

I just ordered mine, told me everything was in stock and would ship out Monday or Tuesday.