Bad regulator found

lthrnk

Since taking delivery of our new Landmark Key Largo, DW has been having a problem with, what we thought, was a sewer smell.
This coach has not moved, nor will it in the future, as long as we own it. I have, through process of elimination, checked all possibilities, or so I thought. Last night it got down into the mid-30's. I turned on the furnace, which has worked before, to find no heat. Went out and checked the tanks, and both were empty, but the smell of propane was quite prevalent in the port side tank area. That is the bay where the regulator is located. Turned off both tanks, unhooked the hoses, and went to bed.

This morning I pulled both tanks, had them filled, and re-installed. Water heater fired, as well as the stove top, but still no furnace. Pulled the cover on the furnace, all loooked clean and good. Thought it might be the sail switch, but no. Called Heartland and got the OK to follow up with a tech, which we did. The tech and I checked through the system, and found a small, intermittant leak from the regulator. Changed the regulator, and all is well.

The "sewer" smell is gone, even with the overhead fans on, so DW is a happy camper, as am I. This could have been a real disaster if left undetected for a longer period of time. The most disturbing thing is that the propane sniffer never went off. Many people have reported a sewer smell in their coaches. That may not be the case. All this is FYI.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Unless the propane leak made it back to the LP gas detector in the coach, it would not have gone off. Your nose is more sensitive to the odorant, a mercaptan, than the detector is to flammable gas.