2012 LM Key Largo AC very loud

marvmarcy

We bought our LM in late Nov 2011 and didn't need the AC until recently here in Key West. We had guests for dinner and wanted to cool down. When the AC was turned on, it was so loud that we couldn't talk without nearly shouting. We've been rving since the 1970s and never had an AC unit make such a roar. Any suggestions?

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
If your Key Largo is like our Grand Canyon, the main A/C unit is right at the dining table area. This is different that many older units where the A/C unit was located near the rear of the rig. Make sure your "quick cool" slide vent on the unit is closed and that all the other A/C vents are open. If the "quick cool" vent is open it will be loud. If you don't have an A/C unit in the bedroom you may want to consider that as an option. You cut the main unit off during dinner and the rig will stay cool from air coming from the bedroom unit. Just don't rely on this for too long on a hot day. About an hour is the best we get without both units running on days over 95 degrees.

RoadJunkie

I find my air conditioners to be "loud" as well, especially the one in our bedroom and only a few feet from where you're trying to sleep. I will only say we have adjusted to the noise level and it beats sweltering in the heat!

marvmarcy

Thanks for your replies! I closed the quick cool vent and will see how it does when we have power again (currently in dry camp for a few weeks). We don't stay where temps get much above 80*, so the AC isn't used much. We installed Fantastic Vent 6600 fans to replace the cheapie Dexter ones, and we are quite comfortable most of the time without AC.

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Thanks for your replies! I closed the quick cool vent and will see how it does when we have power again (currently in dry camp for a few weeks). We don't stay where temps get much above 80*, so the AC isn't used much. We installed Fantastic Vent 6600 fans to replace the cheapie Dexter ones, and we are quite comfortable most of the time without AC.

Flathead Lake! We almost bought the KOA campground there back in 1995. Wow, what a beautiful area!

Birchwood

We had a front A/C installed in January so we could run it throughout the day and have the main run at night.
That was the plan but the new front A/C has a defect and will not operate longer that 3 minutes.
You may want to consider this setup if the main A/C annoys you.

nscaler2

I don't know if they are still building them the same that they were a few years back, but a fellow by the name of Timk posted a fix for both noise and airflow that really worked wonders on our 2006 Bighorn. Here is a link to that discussion. Hope it helps. //heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/1069-AC-air-flow-problem-SOLVED?highlight=

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Our AC fan is loud as well. Unless it is really hot and humid I run the fan on low. That helps.

Peace
Dave