overhead storage cabinet hinges

coacherbk

I am having problems with my hinge screws coming out of the actual door hinges and no way to put them back because of stripping. Any help would be appreciated. The unit is less than a year old.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
If you mean the screws are pulling out of the face frame, you can take a round toothpick (or two), dip it in wood glue and stick it into the stripped hole. Let the glue dry and then snap the toothpick off flush with the frame surface. Then run the screw back in until snug, but don't put a gorilla torque on it.

Another technique is to pack the hole with epoxy and run the screw in before it fully hardens. Doable, but it can be messy trying to stuff it into the small holes.

aatauses

If you use the tooth picks you can always remove the screws if you want----epoxy will limit you if you want to remove the screws.
al

wdk450

How about small plastic wall anchor sleeves? You will probably have to drill the screw holes out.

Westwind

I have a 2012 Bighorn and had two of the rear cabinet door hinges pull out of the doors. They had vinyl plugs in the holes and the screws expand the plugs when the european hinge is screwed in, it appears that the holes were drilled a little too wide for the plugs or the screws are not expanding the plugs enough. I've decided to wait until I get home to work on them, they will definately have to modified some how. I also removed the expansion rods that hold the door up since I think that might be contributing to the problem. If anyone has any fixes chime it.
Wish I had taken some pictures to post.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I see this post frequently, is this the hidden "european" style hinges? We have the older, traditional metal exposed hinges, and have had a few where the screws stripped. Dealer repaired a few, we've since fixed a few added wood putty to the holes, let ut dry, then rescrew.