Day/night shade problem

jjwink

When I raised the day/night shade in our Rushmore the string in the top middle of the shade behind the sofa had come out. Has anyone tried to repair these shades themselves?

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
No I have not done any repairs to my shades yet. But I have one that has the strings that have stressed and need to be fixed. So I will be watching this thread with EYES WIDE OPEN... :rolleyes:

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Check the Wiki tab at the top of the Forum page. I think there are good instructions and a diagram there.

MTPockets

I havn't tried it, but the park host at a State Park in Oregon said to find some 100 lb. test braided fishing line instead of the regular day/night shade line and you'll never have the problem again...................... I'm gonna try it when my line breaks.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Hey JJ's - missed hearing from ya'll. Our BC 3250 also had the shade string break on the shade over the dining room table. I was able to retie it enough to use it. Nathan found instructions on the web with suggestions for the line but like the idea above of the heavy duty fishing line.

Hope to see ya'll soon.
B--

pegmikef

'They' sell a restringing kit that is mostly string. I just used eighty pound test leader line on mine at the recommendation of someone at the Spring Rally last year. If only one of the strings is broken it is really pretty intuitive on the restringing and the heavy fish line is really easy to thread through the holes in the shade.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
I could not find anything in the Wiki (as usual, maybe I need a class) but I did a search and found this on the forum.

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/26996-Restringing-a-Pleated-Blind-A-Step-by-Step-Guide

The how to is in post 1. Now I need to find the string.

Ray LeTourneau

I could not find anything in the Wiki (as usual, maybe I need a class) but I did a search and found this on the forum. //heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/26996-Restringing-a-Pleated-Blind-A-Step-by-Step-Guide The how to is in post 1. Now I need to find the string.
I went to the wiki and couldn't find it either. I would have sworn it was there. For string, I found some braided bow fishing line. It might be dacron and it's 80# test and is very close to the same size as OEM. It works well & is cheaper than a restring kit. The only color I found is off white but it looks good. Look in any good sporting goods store. I've attached an image of the string pattern.

Attachments

• blind stringing..jpg
    blind stringing..jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 71

Birchwood

I have restrung all but the small blind in the bedroom .You puchase the new cord at a shop where you buy
materials to make a new dress.If they only have white and you need beige soak it in a pot of tea for a while.
The cord in very inexpensive and restringing the blind is not difficult.I don't know what would be in
the kits but assume it would be the cord and end clips where I just use a knot.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Not from the Wiki, but here's everything you wanted to know about Day/Night shades and repairing them. My suggestion, however, is to replace the rear window blinds with vertical blinds. Sooo much easier to operate.

Gizzy

I could not find anything in the Wiki (as usual, maybe I need a class) but I did a search and found this on the forum.

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/26996-Restringing-a-Pleated-Blind-A-Step-by-Step-Guide

The how to is in post 1. Now I need to find the string.

Micheal,
Try Decorator Depot on your left when going into Montgomery, bought some there a few years ago to repair shades in our old TT. take a small sample with you.

jjwink

Thanks so much for the info. Can this be posted or sticky noted so it is easier for all to find. Looks like it is something we will all have to do sooner or later. Wish I were close enough to take them to the factory in Goshen but will have to try to do the repair myself. I don't think the string is broken. It looks like it came untied at the top.

Ray LeTourneau

Thanks so much for the info. Can this be posted or sticky noted so it is easier for all to find. Looks like it is something we will all have to do sooner or later. Wish I were close enough to take them to the factory in Goshen but will have to try to do the repair myself. I don't think the string is broken. It looks like it came untied at the top.
jjwink, inside the top rail there is a spring that is supposed to tension the shade. I suppose a string could have come off but not likely. Most strings break from wear and abrasion where the strings come through the end pieces on the center and lower rails.
If you put too much tension on the strings when installing the shades, it will eventually break again. Only put enough tension on the strings so that the center rail stays put when raising or lowering the bottom rail. Once I found the sweet spot we haven't had a string break.

Just finished restringing a blind. It took us about 1.5 hrs to remove/install valence, restring, and get the tension correct. Next time will be much easier since we know what to expect. I got the string from http://www.fixmyblinds.com/12-RV-restring.html For the price of 300' we figured what the heck, gonna need to replace string again on other blinds.

The instructions in JohnDar's post above is what we used. Worked great!

I forgot a very important detail. When we took apart the blind there was a lot of material from the back of the valance that made it into the blind. If you notice on the insides of the valance there may be strings of thread from the material hanging down. First we thought it was just a nuisance but found that it can also get inside the channel where the strings run on the blind. I was amazed at the amount of stringy material hanging off the valance. My remedy to this was to spray some 3M Super 77 on the ends of the material. Any fabric adhesive will work. It is definitely worth the time to do this step.

jjwink

Thanks for all the help. Found out the string is broken. Do you have to remove the valance from the wall to get the blind off? Heartland has done some innovative work to attach the valances to the walls such as putting the screws through the fabric. Hate to make a mess taking them down if we don't absolutely have to to get to the blind.

Ray LeTourneau

Thanks for all the help. Found out the string is broken. Do you have to remove the valance from the wall to get the blind off? Heartland has done some innovative work to attach the valances to the walls such as putting the screws through the fabric. Hate to make a mess taking them down if we don't absolutely have to to get to the blind.

jj, In the past, Heartland has screwed the shade header directly to the wall above or onto the window frame. Every shade I've removed, the valance had to be removed first. It's fairly easy to re-install into the same holes as it was originally mounted.