Looking @ Landmark GVW

XBoater

I am looking into moving to a 5ver from a MH and putting all the pieces together to complete the package of Truck/Trailer.

I am looking hard at a San Antonio vs a Montana 3402RL (Our #1 vs #2 top picks). The whole weight ratings of this industry has me a bit nervous. In the automotive industry I know from experience of owning both light and medium duty trucks that a 15k GVW Isuzu flatbed is rated to perform at that max weight safely and continuously without unreasonable wear. My FinL owns SOB 5ver and has had issues with tires and axles and frames not apparently holding up to constant use at or near the max ratings of the components. I am glad to see at least Landmarks comes with G tires and ready for the weight at that end, but Heartland uses the industry standard frames and pieces.

Are 5vers, (Heartland RVs in particular) spec'ed for constant use at max weight or is this a max weight before breakage can occur? If anyone knows, is the frame different on a LM than a 3402RL Montana? Heartland spends time and ad dollars talking about under the skin and not just eye candy, I like that, Montana somewhat talks about it (though E rated tires?). We were looking at Redwood, but why do they spend time and money trying to tell you a Falcon frame is different than LCI when they are the same? (Not an LCI bash, please)

What is the hitch rating of the LM frame? The GVW is 16250 lbs, the axle rating is 14000lbs (7k x 2). Does that mean the hitch is only rated for 2250lbs ? I read that you want an 80/20 hitch to axle ratio, 2250 lbs is 14% some would consider that a low ratio.

Thanks for any info or advice.

mmomega

AnyTimer
The hitch rating "should" be whatever the GVWR is or higher. The example 2250 lbs would just be the amount of weight at the hitch pushing down onto your truck. As with pretty much all trailer, you want the majority of the weight being carried on the trailer axles instead of the tow vehicle. Also with a 5th wheel, any extra weight you add will add to that hitch weight. Everything in the basement storage, a generator, everything you can add if forward of the axles. I also seriously doubt I will ever get close to that 14,000lb axle rating. My Key Largo is one of the heavier Landmarks and it weighed in right over 11k on the trailer axles. No way I will add another 3,000 lbs to this trailer.
I'd say if my hitch was only rated for 2250lbs I would've probably snatched it clean off a long time ago.

As long as you buy a truck big enough to do the job by the numbers I believe you will have less problems in the long run. In my opinion a 1ton truck would be the minimum
for a Landmark.
When we were ready to buy our new trailer it also came down to the Montana (Wife liked) to the Landmark ( I liked) after a bit of discussing and researching the Landmark was better for us overall.

danemayer

We had our Landmark Rushmore weighed at last June's Heartland Rally. Our GVWR is 16,000 and our actual weight was 15,000. Of that, 11,500 is on the axles and the pin weight was right at 3,500. We've got a full set of options including bedroom A/C, washer/dryer in the very front, and the 5500W generator in the front compartment, and a basement filled with stuff. Probably were carrying 1/2 of fresh water and 1/2 full black tank. Obviously, with 23% on the pinbox, our weight distribution is more toward the front than the spec on an empty trailer without any options.

I think we'd have to be travelling with full fresh, gray, and black tanks to get to 16,000# total.

We've got about 16,000 miles on the rig and tires are wearing evenly, so I don't think we have axle or frame problems. I don't have any reason to think we have undue strain on the pinbox.

We've got a TrailerSaver BD3 Hitch in the truck, which gives us a very smooth ride. For what it's worth, the Hensley people named the hitch "TrailerSaver" because they claim it saves substantial wear and tear on the trailer. Also, we generally drive at about 55 MPH which undoubtedly puts less wear and tear on trailer and tires.

The trailer GVWR is certainly linked to frame, axle, wheel, brake, tire weight ratings, and probably other things. For example, our Rushmore comes with 7000# Dexter axles. So the 2 axles are designed to carry up to 14,000#, the rest being carried by the hitch. The Goodyear G614 tires are rated to 3750# per tire if I'm remembering correctly, which adds to 15,000 on the tires - more than the axle rating. Of course that allows for uneven weight distribution on the tires, which is a reality.

So my bottom line is that I'm comfortable that our Rushmore is not about to collapse under it's own weight. I am keeping an eye on the suspension and given our mileage, will probably follow the advice of the many owners and upgrade to wet bolts - more a mileage statement than anything else.

I have no idea how much margin is built into these designs, but I certainly wouldn't expect them to be failing right at the rated limit.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I am looking into moving to a 5ver from a MH and putting all the pieces together to complete the package of Truck/Trailer.

What is the hitch rating of the LM frame? The GVW is 16250 lbs, the axle rating is 14000lbs (7k x 2). Does that mean the hitch is only rated for 2250lbs ? I read that you want an 80/20 hitch to axle ratio, 2250 lbs is 14% some would consider that a low ratio.

Thanks for any info or advice.

I haven't looked at the specs but I think the 2250 figure you're referring to is an empty pin weight. Loaded pin weights that I have heard about can run as high as 4000 lbs. on a few Landmarks.

XBoater

JD - What did the LM have/do that you liked over the Montana, I am in the same boat.

Dan - What are wetbolts ? How does SRW handle the weight, you seem to drive a bit? Looking at 1-ton Dodge SRW, FinL have 16k toyhauler, I have driven towing with his Dodge SRW 1-ton, no issue but light pin 2000lb. I see LM pin being closer to 3000lb.

FordMan1966

Well I have owned 3 of the other brand that you mentioned and am waiting on delivery of a new Landmark Grand Canyon Full Body Paint. There is no comparison in these 2 rvs, the Heartland Bighorn is a much better rv than the one that you mentioned and then the Landmark is just much better than the Big Sky. I got tired of the 2003 and 2006 decals pealing off.

danemayer

Link to Wetbolts info page

Our GMC 3500 longbed SRW handles the weight very well. It's stable when large trucks pass in either direction and in the moderate crosswinds we've experienced. Pulls up steep mountains like I-70 to Eisenhower Tunnel and with engine brake and cruise control, maintains 35 mph going down the steep grade to Silverthorne. We've also been through Wolf Creek Pass near Pagosa Springs, CO, headed east, without any drama.

The truck payload is around 4100# which works out just about right with our pinweight, hitch weight, fuel, wife and myself, a few tools, bed liner and cover. We're actually slightly over the payload but not enough to worry about.

We shopped Dodge 1 ton 2010s and liked them but the deal broke when I asked for the payload spec on the SRW model. It was about 200# more than a 3/4 ton. To get an adequate payload, we would have had to go to the DRW. Didn't need to do that on Ford or GMC. Maybe Dodge has changed that in the past 18 months, but I'd advise checking very carefully and making sure you're looking at the spec on the SRW configuration.

MTPockets

When we ordered our F350 SRW Crew Cab, there were a dozen different payload pakages that could be ordered... We went with the pkg that stated 4460 lb payload.... When we took delivery, the payload sticker said about 3800 lbs... When we inquired, we were told the difference is the options we selected for our specfic truck. Truck is weighed and sticker affixed after it's built. Catalog selections are guidelines. Seems the published payload is for the bare truck, then subtract weight of every option... We're still in good shape, but could have been light if we had not gone to the highest selction when ordering. I would assume this is similar for GMC and Dodge as well..... Caveat Emptor

lwmcguir

We are leagal the way around with normal loading. No issues handling/towing in any type terrain or traffic. We did upgrade to 17.5 tires/wheels and the CP along with the 5th Ariborne Pin. Good value for the dollar all the way.

XBoater

Took a quick look and the Dodge SRW is about 1000lbs lighter payload than the Ford, confusing...

Last edited:

danemayer

I looked at the Dodge website a few months ago and found it difficult. My conclusion was that when I didn't specifically see that it said SRW, it was probably giving me a DRW specification.