F250 Fuel Tanks

ncc1701e

I have a question and I'm fairly sure someone on this forum will have the answer. I've been exploring replacing the stock 26 Gal. fuel tank that is on my 2012 F250 Crew Cab. I've looked at the various aftermarket, non-Ford, options and there are satifactory possibilities there. With that said, I really would perfer to replace the 26 gal stock unit with an inkind 37.5 gal Ford mfg tank. I've run into a slight difficulty. Dropped by my local dealer and asked what I thought was a simple question. What is the physical differences in the two tanks that would prevent a simple change? The 37.5 gal is an option on the F250 if the truck has a 8' bed. My truck happens to be the 6-1/2' bed. Looking under the truck and at the Ford drawings (no dimensions) at the dealer; the larger tank is longer towards the front with an extra step which makes sense because Ford mounts the DEL tank between the fuel tank and the rear axle on both the short and long bed models. When Ford customer service in Detroit responded their answer was "We will not assist in any manner that will alter a stock production truck."

So guys, is there someone out there that has a 2011 or 2012 F250 Long Bed that would mind at some point measuring his stock fuel tank and posting the measurements?

Sandpirate69

I'm not a Ford guy, but I have used Transfer Flo fuel tanks in the past. I went from a 26gl. tank to a 45gl. fuel in my 2002 Chevy 2500 HD short bed. I don't usually buy OEM products because they are over priced & made elsewhere. Go Transfer Flo or Titan, you will not regret it.

Ivan

Last edited:

porthole

Retired
If you go to this page you will see the 37 gallon tank parts
http://www.tousleyfordparts.com/parts/2011/FORD/F-450 SUPER DUTY/LARIAT/?siteid=214771&vehicleid=1446476&diagram=ME11759&diagramCallOut=23

This page is the bare number of parts you would need "IF" it would fit

http://www.tousleyfordparts.com/shoppingcart/index.cfm?siteid=214771&retVal=%2Fparts%2F2011%2FFORD%2FF-450 SUPER DUTY%2FLARIAT%3Fsiteid%3D214771%26vehicleid%3D1446476%26diagram%3DME11759

With that you are half way in price to a Titan 50 gallon tank
http://www.titanfueltanks.com/images/ford_7020211.jpg

I had a Titan in my GMC and now have Titan in the Ford. No problems and I like having the capacity without losing bed space.

I still have my 37 gallon and could measure it for you, but the reality is you would actually have to have the tank in hand and see if it would fit.

The 37 is made for a long bed truck. The 50 Titan is made for a short bed truck

ncc1701e

If you go to this page you will see the 37 gallon tank parts
http://www.tousleyfordparts.com/par...eid=1446476&diagram=ME11759&diagramCallOut=23

This page is the bare number of parts you would need "IF" it would fit

http://www.tousleyfordparts.com/sho...teid=214771&vehicleid=1446476&diagram=ME11759

With that you are half way in price to a Titan 50 gallon tank
http://www.titanfueltanks.com/images/ford_7020211.jpg

I had a Titan in my GMC and now have Titan in the Ford. No problems and I like having the capacity without losing bed space.

I still have my 37 gallon and could measure it for you, but the reality is you would actually have to have the tank in hand and see if it would fit.

The 37 is made for a long bed truck. The 50 Titan is made for a short bed truck

Thanks, I like the Titan tank and had looked at this tank already. After the answer I got from Ford, it is just more of a personal thing to know if the Ford tank would work or not. Of the after market tanks, I like the Titan over the others mostly because of construction material. Thanks again.

porthole

Retired
If you go with the Titan be aware that there are specific installation instructions that need to be followed with regards to the sending unit.
Very simple, but very important.

mmomega

AnyTimer
This topic has been covered a lot of various super duty sites and most if not all of those that have tried this said the 37.5 wouldn't fit on a shortbed pickup.
Also after getting a larger tank, Titan or whichever, you can go to the dealership and have them calibrate your computer for the increased size so the computer doesn't think you still have a 26 gal.

I'd also suggest watching this video especially if you plan on doing it yourself to get a heads up.

pegmikef

When Ford customer service in Detroit responded their answer was "We will not assist in any manner that will alter a stock production truck."

So guys, is there someone out there that has a 2011 or 2012 F250 Long Bed that would mind at some point measuring his stock fuel tank and posting the measurements?

I think that is kind of funny, because my Christmas present to myself was a transfer flow underbed 50 gallon fuel tank installed in my F250 6.7 L crew cab short bed by my local Ford Dealer. I intentionally went to Ford because I didn't want to screw up my warranty. It works great and the only thing that is a little skewed is the miles to empty on the trip computer. The fuel gauge and mpg reading work just fine. The miles to empty still peaks at a little over 400 and just takes a longer time to go down. It cost me 872.50 for the tank, 165.00 shipping, and 150.00 for installation (worth it because now I have recourse if there is a problem). I went with transfer flow because that is the one my dealer installs. I also looked at Titan who has one that fits. The size of both is the same as is the shipping weight. On the Titan they recommend a shield to go under it, but the transfer flow is metal so it isn't needed. It looks to me like it is only about two inches lower than the stock tank but still well above other drive train components (e.g., differential housing).

ncc1701e

Mike, My whole thought was to try and protect the warranty. Was willing to pay a little more to deal with the Ford dealership. I've seen that others have gotten Ford to do the changeout. I really don't understand, but I do know this dealer has and I have had issues in the past. Today, I got a real nice response from Titan on their tank and the information that Ford had actually assigned an address in the computer to allow for proper programming for the larger Titan tanks. I've got a couple other dealers in the general area that I can deal with. Sometimes it just blows my mind how little some dealers really show so little customer support after the sale. I ran into a similar issue with Heartland early on. Some of these customer service reps must just get up on the wrong side of the bed at times.

Do you have any fears of the metal tank building rust or similar contaminants vs the polymer Titan tank? That might be the only concern I would have right now when looking at the two tanks. The Titan is a couple hundred more than the Transfer Flo unit. Looking at the mounting, they both hang about the same 2-3" below the frame.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback.

porthole

Retired
You can get your miles to empty reprogrammed, only takes a few minutes.

Go to your Ford dealer of choice and ask to have it done. If they look at you like you have two heads give them the instructions below. Doesn't take long and if they happen to be hooking up the computer for anything else they are half way there.

You might want to inquire for the tech to run the "Oasis' and see if there are any outstanding TSB's. And while they are at it - set you MTE.

Fuel tank MTE update

1) Ensure IDS is at least version 72.xx - current version is 72.04.
2) Click on the toolbox icon at top left of main screen
3) Select 'Module Programming' - click checkmark icon
4) Select 'Programmable Parameters'
5) Select 'Fuel" - click checkmark icon
6) Select 'Front Fuel Tank - (IC) = xx' on bottom of parameter list
7) Select 50 (or whatever size you need) on right side of screen and click checkmark icon

Follow the remaining on-screen instructions

ncc1701e

Go to your Ford dealer of choice and ask to have it done. If they look at you like you have two heads give them the instructions below. Doesn't take long and if they happen to be hooking up the computer for anything else they are half way there.

You might want to inquire for the tech to run the "Oasis' and see if there are any outstanding TSB's. And while they are at it - set you MTE.

Fuel tank MTE update

1) Ensure IDS is at least version 72.xx - current version is 72.04.
2) Click on the toolbox icon at top left of main screen
3) Select 'Module Programming' - click checkmark icon
4) Select 'Programmable Parameters'
5) Select 'Fuel" - click checkmark icon
6) Select 'Front Fuel Tank - (IC) = xx' on bottom of parameter list
7) Select 50 (or whatever size you need) on right side of screen and click checkmark icon

Follow the remaining on-screen instructions

Thank you.....

pegmikef

Do you have any fears of the metal tank building rust or similar contaminants vs the polymer Titan tank? That might be the only concern I would have right now when looking at the two tanks. The Titan is a couple hundred more than the Transfer Flo unit. Looking at the mounting, they both hang about the same 2-3" below the frame.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback.

I asked that same question to the folks that installed the tank and they haven't had a complaint and had not heard of any from other dealers in the area. I don't know how many they have installed overall, but mine was the eighth one they had put in for this model. This is west Texas though and we get very little harsh weather that could lead to corrosion or rust. The tank comes with a 60k miles, three year warranty.

Duane, thanks for the info. I am going to print it and take it to my dealer and have it done.

Last edited:

hillsonwheels

Don't you love the answers that are avalilable on this forum! :D I wonder at times if folks like Porthole have real jobs? ;) Seems like there is great info to be had no matter the issue or question! Thanks to Heartland for sponsoring the forum! :cool: And, to the "first responders" who provide such great information. :cool::cool:

Dick

pegmikef

Thanks again! I just picked up my truck and the MTE now works perfectly. I think my dealer also thanks you because they asked me if they could keep the instructions so I left them a copy.

ncc1701e

Finally made a move on the fuel tank. My local Ford dealer replaced the stock 26 gal tank with a Titan 50 gal mid-ship tank today. The DTE calcualtion in the computer was completed. I was able to supply the information thanks to the great information on this forum and want to thank everyone. New DTE calculation. Showed the wife the DTE calculation and she said, "I'm buying a two hour timer so you will know when to stop, end of discussion." LOL

Can't say enough about the installation, I met with the tech prior to starting and discussed everything Titan had passed along. He took me back afterwards and we looked over the installation and I'm very pleased.

I bought the extra protection skid plate for the tank and am really glad I did. Titan missed the amount the tank hangs below the frame. The new unit entents about 4" below the frame and not 2" as Titan said. The tank is still above the bottom of the steps. With all the road trash on the roads these days, the full coverage offered by the skid plate guard is a good addition for little cost.