favorite state park?

StarryNight

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
Camping season is coming up fast! I for one am excited as well as in the dark about what really is "nice and available" out there in our own state!!
Colorado has 42 state parks (with a new one coming "on line" in a few more years). I was wondering if you have a favorite one (or two) to camp that you could share with our Chapter. Not all of Colorado state parks have camping available and there are some that offer only dry camping. Pictures/sketches and the PR stuff put out by the state are fine but sometimes having someone tell their side is even more helpful.
If you could share your fun experiences, what you liked about the camping facilities as well as what is available I'm sure some of us could benefit! I know I will!!
In the Denver area there are several parks that offer camping: Cherry Creek (CC)& Chatfield (CF) are the 2 Don and I are most familiar with. Both offer full hookups and group camping sites. They both have paved trails, bike lanes & water access. CC has plenty of shade trees (large cottonwoods) for most of their campsites, whereas CF does not. CC is near a major highway (225) but is actually quiet since the campground is a bit lower than the road plus the dam blocks a lot of the traffic noise. The new bath-houses @ CC are really very nice! They also have washers/dryers in each of the 2 new bath-house buildings. There is a grocery store about a mile from CC; for CF you have quite a distance to go (several miles, anyway) to get groceries. CC fills up pretty quick for the peak-season, especially weekends; CF is not as bad, even though it stays pretty busy. Both parks have always been well-maintained & clean (we visit for the day as well as for camping so I feel very confident about saying this)
I am lucky to be able to turn my computer on:D so as far photos go....without Don here to do it for me you are out of luck! But if you have photos of a campsite or camping area that would be great to add.
I hope this thread will be helpful to all as a good resource; plus, "staycations" are fun!
Monica

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Monica... We spent 3 weeks in Colorado last summer (dodgeing the brutal texas summer heat) and we fell in love with it! Although we did not stay in any state parks, we did stay in a couple of the US Forest Service camprounds and they were great. Some are dry camping and others have water and electric. Two of our favorites were Haviland Lake about 20 miles north of Durango (2nd photo) and another is Silver Jack Lake half way between Montrose and Gunnison (1st photo). P1010150.JPGP8280042.JPG

danemayer

We've stayed in Chatfield (Littleton) and Cherry Creek (Aurora), both just outside Denver. They're both nice for walking and bicycling. The sites are nicely spaced with good utilities and trees here and there. Not a lot of protection from the sun. The setting sun is a bit intense in August - pick a site that positions your rig with respect to the sun.

wobly

We have stayed at Chatfield, Cherry Creek, Mueller, Cheyenne Mountain, Pueblo Reservoir, John Martin Reservoir and 11 Mile Reservoir. Our favorite is Cheyenne Mountain. Great location, full hook-ups, great trails. Mueller is a great park, but doesn't have water or sewer hook-ups.

Each of the parks we have been to have their own pluses. The key is just getting out and enjoying the area.

olcoon

A year ago last Sept. we spent a month in CO. and a friend who lives out there recomended Ridgway, and we really liked it, there was a lot to do in the area, which made for a lot of day trips. It also has FHU. We also stayed in Mueller, and it only had elec. but it has a lot of trails, and since we were there in Sept. the elk were bugling & they did it every night behind our campsite. Also had deer in & around our campsite every day. A couple of nights, at dusk we hiked behind the campsite & saw the elk that were doing the bugling.

pegmikef

We, too, escaped the Texas heat by camping in Colorado. We stayed at the West Fork National Forest Park near Pagosa Springs. Beautiful scenary and a nice wooded park, but there are no hook ups so you need to be prepared (generator, water, etc).

PeternLiane

Hi Monica and Don,

Our favorite Colorado State Parks are North Sterling Reservoir and St. Vrain. At North Sterling there are no full hook ups just electrical. Its not packed with people except for the holidays. It's just nice and relaxing. St. Vrain is close to the highway but you can't hear the noise. St. Vrain does have full hook up sites and sites with just electrical hook ups. You do have to reserve early to get in though. It's always full of people but the sites are farther apart so you don't notice the people. We do like a lot of the State Parks. Boyd lake is nice but to close to the houses for me though. Rifle Gap is great, we love the mountains that surround it. We just can't make it up there easily. We liked Mueller too. Jackson was nice but very busy. When we get a bigger tow vehicle we want to camp at all of the Colorado State Parks. I hope this helps and we hope to meet you and Don in May.