Need advice on Extended Warranty for RV

nitpicker

I have had serious issues with my elkridge 34tsre. Serious issues.

I have been chastised about something not posted so i will be careful here.

First off, i have read a couple of postings indicating that heartland will not take units back to the factory or repair center.

That simply isn't true. Heartland thru james fenner, steve kennel have been open to having their rv's returned to the factory or the repair center in elkhart (owned by thor) to address serious issues.

I do not really believe that heartland understands that many customers travel miles away from home to purchase an rv and a lot of the time, the rv dealer isn't just down the street.

Now, understand, i had a problem getting someones attention about my issues from the brass so i was forced to take an aggressive
approach to get the issues with our 7 month old 5th wheel.

Unfortunately, the process was combative and divisive. But as they say - all's well that ends well.

Also - in my instance, i was directed to a repair center 90 miles away (one way) and when heartland received the estimate, made the decision to return the unit to the factory.

I haven't received our unit back but heartland has been fair about the process.

So if it is a serious issue(s), heartland will return the unit to elkhart for repairs.

I am trying to secure information from fellow rv'ers as to cost and performance of extended warranties.

So far - my research is lacking.

I was offered a $1,200 bumper to bumper warranty with $100 deductible. Is it worth it?

Need some advise.

Nitpicker

danemayer

Re: Little tentative about posting a new thread

We got Good Sam's Extended Service policy. 3 years of coverage with $300 deductible. Cost for 3 years was $646 on our Rushmore. As I recall, purchase price was part of the quote, so I would expect the Elkridge to cost less. I believe it's renewable at the same rate.

The fine print excludes a lot of failures, so whatever policy you get, understanding what IS and IS NOT covered is key to evaluating. We haven't had a claim against it yet and I hope we don't. I primarily got it to cover appliances and major subsystems, many of which cost over $1000. The refrigerator is several thousand dollars. The generator is several thousand dollars. The living room TV is over $2000. The surround sound is quite expensive. The microwave/convection oven is over $1000. Furnace, A/C Units, and the list goes on.

Freeze damage and electrical surge damage is NOT covered by this policy. If I have freeze damage, it'll be because I goofed. I use a Progressive Electrical Management device to prevent surge or other electrical damage.

More info is available on the Good Sam's website and by calling them.

As I said, I hope we never have to use the policy.

Trek

We just bought a FX23 North Trail. I am trying to decide if I should buy the 2000 dollar bumper to bumper extended warranty. Any feedback would sure be appreciated. I have to decide before I pick up the trailer.
Thanks!

tmcran

We just bought a FX23 North Trail. I am trying to decide if I should buy the 2000 dollar bumper to bumper extended warranty. Any feedback would sure be appreciated. I have to decide before I pick up the trailer.
Thanks!

Save your money. These things have more holes than swiss cheese.This is a big money maker for dealers.

Bksvo

I decided to get an extended warranty based on advice from a friend of mine, who owns an RV service center (he had nothing to gain). In fact, he bought an extended warranty for his RV.

I bought it through BNT marketing. They are easy to work with, and got the exact same warranty for half the price the dealer wanted.

GOTTOYS

Read the fine print..Don't just take the salesperson's word for it. There is no such thing as true "Bumper to Bumper" coverage. For instance..I have never heard of one that will cover water leaks...I also feel it's important to thoroughly check out the company that's selling it. These outfits go out of business on a regular basis and take your money with them. Do your homework!...Don