ATF: ElkRidge - Slide Room Stopping due to overuse of putty

Coyote

Both my main slide and my bedroom slide are binding to the point of stopping the motor on the main slide and serious binding on the bedroom slide. The top of the bedroom slide looks like it is going to pull the inside header off when you bring in the slide. Please see the attached pictures of the putty on the main slide. I believe this should be a quality control issue. Every time I put my slides out there is putty smeared on the exterior end sides as well. I have never seen this on previous campers I have owned or on any other 5th wheel. I mentioned this to the technician when I was in for service shortly after I picked up my rig and he just stated it would not be a problem. It is a problem that left go will definitely cause damage. Today I ran a plastic putty knife down the inside top edge of my bedroom slide taking off about a 2 inch ball of putty. I believe the factory should be aware of this problem so that this doesn't happen to others.

Attachments

• Gooey caulking.jpg
    Gooey caulking.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 93
  • Gooey caulking1.jpg
    Gooey caulking1.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 85

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I have got to say, I have never seen putty before around any of my slides or anyone else's I know. This looks almost like something the dealer put on for some reason. Very strange.

olcoon

We have the same issue with our Elk Ridge. It didn't start right away, I noticed it after getting it back from the dealer when I had it in for warranty work. I've been scraping it off with a plastic putty knife, get it all cleaned up, and after a while more appears. I've done this about 2 times, and it's starting to lessen. I don't know if heat during the summer is causing it or what. I'm hoping that with all the putty I've cleaned off the slide that it doesn't start leaking!

sengli

Our 2011 Elridge 27RLSS was bought new late last fall, and we are now having this same exact issue this spring. The putty is oozing out and it is very sticky. We have only a single slide, but uit was sticking on the top when we attempted to put it out. I called the dealer and the factory and they both told me to just scrape the grey putty off. I was told this is normal due to it getting warmer out this spring. So this is to continue to ooze out then?

wrgrs50s

Just so you know it's not just the elkridge, my 2012 Sundance XLT was exactly the same. I had to pull the slide in and get to the back side to get all the excess putty off. I found that the ball of putty I ended up with after the excess was removed, worked very well to remove all the streaks of putty on the slide. Just took the ball of putty and pushed it firmly against the smears and streaks on the slide wall and the excess would stick to the ball of putty leaving a clean surface. Even worked the same on the rubber gasket but not quite as well. Once all was removed the slide operates with less friction and have had no more issues with the putty.

jcarnevale

May 2010 Sundance, same assembly line, same issue. I use Goof Off once a month on the exterior walls of the slide outs.