Towing your Greystone

We are prospective buyers of a 33QS.

Wondering how the Greystone's tow ? Specifically how the weight is balanced on the axle(s) ? Do they bounce "around" / up-down on the 5W hitch on rough roads ??

Smooth towing ?

Any and all responses are greatly appreciated !

Lynn

jimtoo

Hi Lynn,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

A lot of the way all 5ers tow depends on the weight on the 5th wheel hitch. Aprox 20-23% of your total weight should be on the hitch for the best ride. Plus I would recommend a Trai-Air or Morryde hitch. Both of these are good pin boxes to help take the bounce and chucking out.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

Rrloren

I was getting some "chucking" until I installed a set of airbags. I run 25 lbs. of pressure and the chucking is gone.

I was getting some "chucking" until I installed a set of airbags. I run 25 lbs. of pressure and the chucking is gone.

We have the airbags and that's about what husband runs for pressure. He drove OTC (semi ) for > 10 years & grew up on a large farm with "big" machinery / trailers & does 99 % maintenance on our farm now - so he know's his "way around".

Husband is just hoping to hear from owners who actually PULL the Greystone's. Hard for a salesperson to give their opinion unless they own and pull one on roads with a variety of conditions ( and further than a few miles to the local RV park , etc. )

I really appreciate your tip / experience though. :eek:)

PS - that is one of the aspects of camping my husband really likes is "truck talk". lol. thus - his purchase of air bags, his Banks power system, etc.

GOTTOYS

While I haven't pulled a Greystone. I do pull a Big Country. Most fivers use a similar frame configuration and similar suspension. They way a trailer "pulls" is as much a factor of the tow vehicle as the trailer itself. I haven't heard of any one pulling any differently than another. If you look at the way they are built, the axle is in about the the same location on all of them. The weight distribution is about the same on all of them. properly setting the hitch up is as important as anything. If the trailer and tow vehicle both sit level when hitched, the tow vehicle is large enough to handle the weight and the load is evenly distributed in the traile it should tow just fine....JMHO..Don

TomSt

Past New Jersey Chapter Leader
Hi, We tow a Greystone 32rl with a 2008 chev 3500 excab long bed. No problems with chucking banging etc however the scales say it is within 500 lbs of the axle limits. went through 10 states last summer with no problems. enjoy

tom

Mandotar

Our Greystone 29mk does not bounce around or chuck with air bags at 50-60 lbs. on a F250 SD. Our previous unit (not Heartland) on the same tow vehicle was heavier and longer and unfortunately chucked even with an Air-Ride pin box and the air bags. So we're very happy with the way our Greystone pulls.

Barry

ncc1701e

We have a Sundance 2800RL pulling with a 2012 F250 Super Duty Crew Cab. THe Sundance is nearly the same trailer as the Greystone. We experienced considerable chucking with the trailer at first. I swapped the pin box out for a Mor/Ryde pin box and installed Firestone Air Bags. The ride now is like the difference between day and night. The Mor/Ryde would have taken care of the majority of the issues. Adding the air bags just gave a little more of a level ride. Pin weight of the trailer did not dip the truck but about 3/4", but the bags at 35 - 50 lbs of pressure do make a noticable difference in overall ride.

dfk009

In addition to all the excellent ideas that others has presented, may I suggest getting the trailer wheels balanced for a smooth, unbelievable ride. This is the first trailer that i did it to, and regret not doing it to the others. When you see how much weights are used, you'll understand.

Don

wal_mart

We towed our 33QS from NY to Fl recently with a 2006 Dodge CTD 3500, air bags, Reese 16k hitch. did not have any noticeable negative symptoms. We have had 2 Sundances which were 11'11" and 12'1". The 33QS is 12'9", so you need to be a little more observant on rural roads. We are in FL for the winter and would recommend this layout, flat floor in bedroom, big kitchen area.

swanndive

I pull a 2011 33QS with a 2009 F250 Super Duty and it pulls great. I do not notice any chucking or anything else. It is usually a smooth ride

Last edited: