Hole filler "smears"

StarryNight

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
I have noticed a smear/mark at every staple hole in our Bighorn. When we picked up the RV & did the initial walkthrough I noticed them all and asked about them. They are where someone went around with a "filler" and smeared it into the staple hole. I then asked about removing the residue around the hole and was told that the paneling is fragile and I shouldn't try to clean up the mess...but it is driving me crazy!! There are some smears that are huge, in comparison to the size of the staple hole!! Has anyone taken the plunge and cleaned it off? If so, what did you use? Did it damage the paneling? I look up when I'm on the couch & its there, I look up when I'm in bed & it's there, I look around and it's everywhere...HELP!

hoefler

Try using mineral spirits on a rag, damp not soaking wet. Mineral spirits is a very mild solvent and should just wipe the residue off.

donr827

Where are these staple holes located that you are talking about? I have a Bighorn on order and will have to look for this problem.
Don

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Where are these staple holes located that you are talking about? I have a Bighorn on order and will have to look for this problem.
Don

You'll find them on the ceiling, walls and trim. Wherever they shot a staple or brad nail to fasten something.

GOTTOYS

I have noticed them on the wood trim more than anything. I guess you could try and buff them off with a dry cloth. They don't really bother me. These things are not made to look like a fine cabinet. I doubt that they are any dufeerent from any other brand...Don

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Mine usually disappear after the second glass of fermented, brewed or distilled beverage.

StarryNight

I will try the "spirits" both on the smears and internally!! :) Thanks for the input...and to answer Don, what John said is true...wherever they needed to attach the "wallboard" to the framing that's where you will find them. I wonder why we were told not to attempt to remove them. Is the wallboard that fragile??:confused: I would like some input from someone who has actually used something like mineral spirits, etc...on the walls. I understand the whole concept of doing it in an inconspicuous place but then there isn't much (if any) natural lighting to tell if it worked or did any damage.

Birchwood

I have noticed the smears(depend on lighting)on the Landmark ceilings and thought it would look better if they were removed.
I may do this now that you mention it.

tcfake613

A cup of vinegar to about two gallons of water. We cleaned all the woodwork in the entire camper with this solution. It's a hand-me-down idea from generation to generation in my family. Our entire Bighorn was filled with the smudges as well as our previous rigs. Woodwork looks awesome now!

StarryNight

Janet,
You say "woodwork" did you use the vinegar/water solution on the walls/wallboard (which is "non-wood") as well?
Thanks for the tip.

tcfake613

We use it on most everything except ceramic tile, stone, granite. Vinegar will etch stone products and shouldn't be used on stone.