Hot water smells

The hot water coming from the bathroom zink smells. The hot water coming from the
kitchen zink does not. Any one have this same problem or any idea's on the problem?

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
I know that in your home bad smelling hot water means trouble on the way. Might check your anode rod and see if it is getting ate up.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
CE, what does it smell like? Could be the air admittance valve below the sink.

Peace
Dave

krhyde

Kentucky Chapter Leaders-retired
If it only smells from the bathroom sink, it can't be related to the water heater because that would smell bad other places. Must be related to the bathroom sink only. Like Cookie said. Ken

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
You might want to check the drain plug stem for the sink, as well as the P-trap, for a collection of hair and other "debris."

Dave;
Kind of has a sulfur smell, the anod rod was ok a month ago. I will check it again and the vent valve and p trap under the zink and go from there.

Birchwood

You may have different gray water tanks that your kitchen sink and bathroom sink drains to.Mine are different!
Your smell may be from the tanks and not the water.Check it out.

Rickhansen

Its not your hot water. It's either an under-counter drain vent problem, or you've got crud growing in the P-trap. Gray water tanks and plumbing smell 30 times worse than black water tanks.

traveler44

I don't know why one source would stink and the other wouldn't but I had to run some vinegar through a hot water heater one time to get rid of the sulfur smell. I drained the hot water heater and poured the vinegar in and let it set for a few hours and after I ran it out I never had a problem again. I don't remember if I ran the water heater with it in there or not. I did this a few years ago when we had a pull trailer. You might pour some vinegar down the drains and see if that helps too. Tom

Bobby A

If I was a betting man I would say there is soap scum build up in the P trap or water over flow in the sink.

Got rid of the smell from the hot water in bathroom zink.
Here is what I did. Got to thinking the hot water line to the bathroom zink and the washer lhook up are one and the same.
So I drained the hot water tank, put about two cups of bleach in the fresh water tank along with about 25 gals of water.
Filled the hot water tank from the fresh water tank. Connedted a short hose to the hot water washer hook up and let the water
run for a couple of bucked fulls. No more stink from the bathroom zink.
I figure the water in the riser pipe going to the washer faucet had become stagnet since we never use it .
Any one with the same problem might try this fix. It worked for me.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
CE, just a thought here. Did you run the water from the washer hookup into the washer drain? Maybe the P-trap there was dry and allowing sewer gas to escape.
Anyway, good call on the fix.
Missed you and Jackie at the Beaches on Thursday.

Peace
Dave

lthrnk

As said, it could be a back up from, or into the sink overflow drain. To cleanout, and freshen the sink drain, and P trap, use baking soda followed with almost boiling water. I do this periodicaly on all sink and shower drains.

cookie, no I ran it into a bucket. Missed the Beaches acct I came down with a case of the shingles.
the chicken pox virus stays with you for life.
Got some medication and heading home today.

macjj

After owning coaches for years - this is always an issue. The best explanation has come from food particulates in the Grey water that do not get flushed. I have added about a cup of bleach each time I return from a trip or once a month while on the road. This has kept the "sulfur" smell controlled. I have never added to the fresh water, but I can see a build up in the hot water tanks - flush it at least once a year - just like your home unit. The pea trap could be an issue - just fill the sink with water, fill it with a cup of bleach and pull the plug - should flush the system. Then drain the tanks.

Good luck