electric coolers

lthrnk

If you are looking for something with the greatest versatility, go to www.compactappliance.com and check out the Edge Star units. They are refrigerator/freezer, and run off either 120 or 12volts. We have one of the 63 quart sized unit, and it is really great. Digital controls, instant power switchover and priced right. I really believe it is the best out there.

poisonivy

Thanks for the reply .... very interesting as we were looking at these exact mini fridges earlier today, right after posting this thread.
Can you clarify what size you have as I didn't see them measured in quart size just can capacity. We thought this would be a great thing for the back deck when we are home entertaining as well. Cheers :cool:

hoefler

The coolers will only cool down 40* below ambient temperature. What this means, is if it is 100* outside of the unit, it will cool down to 60* inside.

lthrnk

That is not so, with the Edge Star units. They will, if set to 0, go there and hold it. They are fantastic units. On the Compact Appliance website, you can find the sizes and capacities. Go to the website then go to the Edge Star section. It will give you all the info on their units.

hoefler

That is not so, with the Edge Star units. They will, if set to 0, go there and hold it. They are fantastic units. On the Compact Appliance website, you can find the sizes and capacities. Go to the website then go to the Edge Star section. It will give you all the info on their units.

That is a refridgerator, it has a compressor. The coolers a thermo-electric unit.

This is from Igloos FAQ page for the http://www.google.com/products/cata...=X&ei=0YtDT6PeN8roggeB3Iy6CA&ved=0CIwBEPMCMAE#

Here is the entire FAQ page: http://www.igloocoolers.com/faq2

Thermoelectric coolers: general operating information & specifications
Igloo Thermoelectric coolers are designed to withstand continuous use (as in an office or college dormitory)

Igloo Thermoelectric coolers are designed for use with any 12-volt power source that will accommodate the supplied power cord, including automobiles, trucks, boats, recreational vehicles and golf carts.

Igloo Thermoelectric coolers are designed to operate between 48 to 60 watts (depending on model) and draw an average of 4.2 - 5.0 amps on a continuous basis.

It is normal for water to condense at the bottom of the cooler during use. A higher level of condensate will occur in humid conditions.

Thermoelectric coolers operate on a temperature differential principle related to the temperature of the environment they are operating in – they are not thermostatically temperature controlled like a refrigerator. Although performance varies by model, most Igloo Thermoelectric coolers are designed to cool contents as much as 40 degrees Fahrenheit below the room or outdoor operating temperature (e.g. If outdoor temperature is 75 degrees Fahrenheit, the thermoelectric cooler will cool the contents down to 35 degrees Fahrenheit).

The ideal operating temperature for a Thermoelectric cooler is between 68 and 80 degrees Fahrenheit.

Contents of a Thermoelectric cooler may freeze if the cooler is placed in a cold environment (temperatures below 68 degrees Fahrenheit). Do not operate a thermoelectric cooler inside a trunk, cabinet or enclosed area. This will block its ventilation and may result in damage, risk of fire or electric shock.

We do not recommend using ice in Thermoelectric coolers Do not fill the cooler with liquids — they may corrode and damage the fan and motor

porthole

Retired
For the OP's question. We have a Coleman electric cooler. Here is my take aside from the detailed operation above.
  • It works OK
  • You can not put a case of soda in it and expect it to get cold. It may but it may take a month.
  • The electronics are exposed inside (covered with a grill) so you can not use ice, it will melt and................
  • you can not use dry ice to help it keep cold. There is a fan inside the cooler and the air exchange will quickly make your dry ice disappear ($20 lesson learned)
  • you can turn it on a day or two before use and put frozen food in it and it will stay frozen for quite awhile. We have used it many times this way when we use to boat travel.
  • They also have a heat function.
The only reason I have not "garage sale" this cooler is because the heat operation works fairly good. Again, need to pre-heat. We use this on job sites now and have found a Dunkin Donuts box of Joe will stay hot for quite some time.

My cooler will only hold one box of Joe due to the fan and shroud that is mounted inside.

We also have one of the Waeco Adler electric cooler-freezers.
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...toreNum=51150&subdeptNum=51166&classNum=51167
  • These do work as advertised.
  • These coolers are heavy - empty. Mine is 40+ pounds before I put anything in it.
  • It took a bit of experimenting until I finally found the right temp setting to keep my beer from freezing!
  • Because these use conventional types of cooling systems you lose a good portion of from inside the cooler.
  • Mine is a 53 quart version. If I was to replace it I would get at least the next size up.
  • If you were to want one of these I would suggest you look inside before picking a size.
  • Although there is only one thermostat there are 2 sections and the "upper-smaller" section does not get as cold.
Mine works good and what we use now for traveling. I have 12 volts available in the garage to operate it but I typically use the 110AC side and use a small inverter in the garage. Seems to work more efficiently on the 110, and using the inverter means I don't have to change connections. In the summer, if the cooler is not in the trailer it is in the garage were the brew is handy. These coolers are very expensive, even with my jobber discount.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SiteSearch?storeId=11151&langId=-1&catalogId=10001&pageSize=10&beginIndex=0&sType=SimpleSearch&searchTermScope=3&Ns=Most+Popular|0&keyword=Coolmatic+Compressor+Cooler%2FFreezer

Dometic carries a similar line

jbeletti

Terry H has a small Kooltron P25 unit he and Carol use while traveling for drinks and sandwiches. Even for bringing home restaurant leftovers on day excursions. He installed a delayed off timer circuit in his truck and uses that to power the cooler. It's a 2 hour delayed off. He also drops a frozen cool pack into the cooler in the morning to help out.

I just ordered a P25 today plus the AC adapter.

We all have varying needs, so it's great to have so many choices for portable coolers/heaters/refers.

Jim

poisonivy

The Edge Star units not available in Canada :( .... back to the drawing board. Still going to pursue the mini fridge idea ... like the idea of the versatility.

Thanks again for all the replies.