Should we ask for a new recliner?

Sandie

We noticed that on one of recliners that the handle was kinda loose and the wood on it was scraped...maybe from the slide hitting it. Called dealer upon noticing it when we brought it home but haven't taken it in yet for any warranty work. Would you demand a new recliner? I hate being so nit picky but it shouldn't be like that either.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I doubt that you will get a new recliner, but your dealer should be able to get a new handle.
Unless he has a recliner in stock and is willing to swap it out for you.

Peace
Dave

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Sandie,

I don't know, that's a good question. I am overly careful with our slides, making absolutely sure the recliners are not in the way of the slide. However, with the rig being in and out of various repair-shops over the past 2.5 years (warranty work, axle upgrade, high wind damage, etc.), I recently noticed the same thing, one of the handles is loose and has a few scratches. I have no idea when it happened (not on MY WATCH), whether under warranty or not... but I guess I'll live with it. ;) In our case, it does not effect the operation of the recliner. You could always call Heartland... there may be some self-serviceable parts, that wouldn't necessitate a trip to the dealer.

Erika

Rickhansen

I might ask, you don't know what consideration you might get. I had a problem with both recliners in our 3670 a few years ago. They were both lopsided by a few inches. I contacted Heartland, who forwarded me to Flair. I described the problem, took pictures and provided measurements. Flair shipped me two new recliners, contingent that the local dealer receive the two defective chairs back, to be donated to a charitable women's shelter for re-purposing.

Heartland and Flair came together for a win-win solution.

pegmikef

For what it's worth, last year when I picked up my North Trail during the PDI, the tech showed me a very slight wear spot on the top rear of one of the swivel rockers and said, don't worry we have already ordered a new one and it will be drop shipped to your residence. A month later it arrived and is still in the garage because the one it is to replace is just fine. Frankly neither DW or I would have even noticed it if it had not been pointed out. My attitude on stuff like this is "the worst they can say is no" so go for it.

traveler44

One of the grandsons broke the handle on one of our chairs by leaning back while trying to put the footrest down. I stopped at a furniture store and showed them the broken handle. They had spare ones and gave me one. I have forgotten what brand chair they said it was but it was a pretty popular brand.

rickandjoyce

When we first took ownership of our new Elkridge, I noticed one of our recliners had rubbed against something and the "piping" trim wire was exposed. There were also 3 small slash marks on the back when may have been made from the mfg. opening up the boxes the chairs came in. Anyhow, I took pictures and showed the dealership. The dealership said the factory wouldn't do anything, but I stated for the money we shouldn't have defective chairs. I took this issue to our sales person who had a repairman come out and repair the leather on the spot. They did an excellent job and the sales person picked up the cost. Not quite the same issue as others have, but my motto also is "all they can say is no", so I always ask. We were very satisfied with the way this was handled.

GETnBYE

Our recliner handle broke and a call to customer service and a new one was shipped to us. I will always call CS before I ask a dealer for help. Worth a try, I dont see getting a new chair if it is just the recliner handle, and I am "thinking" that is what you are talking about.

Sandie

Well we finally got our Elkridge into to dealership for warranty and haven't seen what they have done yet, but I was told the handle mechanism was fixed and the handle was touched up where it was scratched. They also replaced a part needed for the fireplace to work and are now awaiting a new ceiling fan as the one in there has a constant humming sound no matter what speed its on. Something on the toilet had to be replaced as it would get stuck in the open position after flushing it. All in all we are happy with it so far and can't wait for our next trip in May to test out all the repairs done.