trouble with 08 cyclone 4012

Hi, I am a new owner of a Cyclone 4012.
I am concerned on what I do to get my fresh water system fixed correctly.
I too cannot fill my tank full. and then when i drive I lose more water.
I have never run out of water before but now I can't last three days.
I am a dry camper and even though the tank reads more than a third
the water pump won't pick it up.
This is such a nice trailer.. i can't believe my experience is being ruined by this. I traded in a 1 year old Jayco to get this trailer and now i'm borrowing water to flush my toilet..... guess how embarrassing that is....

jpmorgan37

Jim;
Here is one thread with a great set of pictures and description of the fix that Loco did to his Cyclone. //heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?t=1443&highlight=losing+water
Hope this helps.
John

Thanks again John.
I'm thinking that is an excellent fix for the water vent lines.
The trailer goes to the dealer on July 2nd. I am going to ask for that fix.
Anything i should know about camping with hookups? I have always dry camped and have never hooked up any of my trailers at a campground.
thanks again for any advice.

jpmorgan37

Make sure that your hot water heater is full of water before you turn on the A/C power. I always turn the main breaker off at the source before I hook up my power cable to avoid power surges in the coach. Also use a pressure regulator on the water line if you suspect it to be over 60 psi. Other than that, I don't think of anything different. Just enjoy your trip.

John

thanks for the tips. Been Rving for 5 years and never been to a real campground. Looking forward to it. should be fun with this big monster.
never been more than 160 miles from home with our trailers. we ride close to home. Hope we do O.K. Will tell how trip went and also how our repairs work out.

Loco

Jim,
Feel free to e-mail with any question about fixing your rigs water tank vent on your 4012. We have had no troubles with our rig after I made the repairs to the rig. I can even give you my cell number if you e-mail me and I can tell you every thing I have had to do to our rig. I own a fire apparatus sale and service company and I have been working on fire apparatus for more than 25 years. These rigs are nothing to work on compared to a fire apparatus. I have posted many of the fixes to our rig in the Cyclone area on here. Before and after pics. Please check them out.
I made the statement on here that when I get finished with all the repairs to our rig it would be the best one on the road and theres no way I would replace it. I am getting to that point now. We love our Cyclone 3795. I am very anal about our rig being right.That's the way I am about everything I own or sell or repair. DO IT RIGHT OR DON'T DO IT AT ALL! I want it to be the best money can buy!
PS JUST REMEMBER. NEVER FILL FASTER THAN THE TANK CAN VENT.This is true on all type plastic tanks. Also I put new heavy duty tank supports under my rig.Your dealer will most likely not do that for you.

Thanks Loco,
I copied your repairs along with the photos you posted and talked to the dealer. They said they would repair for me when I get back from the vacation i am on now. Camping with full hook-ups so no problems on this trip..... so far.
I like the work you've done on your rig. Its gotten me motivated to work more on mine. Lots of little things that should be better. I have changed
out battery system with a comercial type battery from a powerlift and solar panels to keep it charged. also installed inverter and satelite TV system. I just think heartland should make the holding systems right on their dime not mine.
My Jayco had a bad design with black tank plumbing and after some fighting got them to fix... so cross your fingers that Heartland will stand up.

Loco

Jim,
Heartland was very good to me on the fixes I made. So I can not cut them down for that. They made good on my repairs. My dealer was great also. They back me on all my repairs.

thats good to hear. I'd like to think that they would have fairness on their minds when dealing with their customers. Its scheduled to be fixed the week after we get home. i hope they agree with me and perform the fix you came up with.
I'll let you know what happens.

Uncle Rog

dually, when my tank was modified the tank was raised on the door side, the od side vents were plugged and the high side vents were combined and re-routed to the gravity drain side with a valve to keep from draining on the road. I would lose 10+ gals of water just moving from the fill site to the camping spot......

BlairV

my water question

Hello, I'm a new 08 Cyclone 4012 owner as well and think I have a similar question.

I understand the water loss issue and fix but I'm not getting the fix to the gauge showing 1/3 of water and the pump not getting any water. My gauge shows I have water in the tank but the faucet only sputters and spits water out when the pump is running. Am I missing something in the fix for the water loss that will fix this as well? When I drain the tank the water flows out so I know there is water in the tank.

We haven't gone dry camping yet but plan to in July and I want to make sure we don't have a water issue when we do.

BTW, this forum has been extremely informative and helpful. We moved up from 11' truck camper to this monster and absolutely love it. Although, manuevering takes a little more planning:eek: .

Thanks

just got back from vacation and had full hook-ups thank god......
when i dumped everything for the ride home my fresh tank would not pump with more than a third of a tank.
I am afraid to dry camp with this thing and thats what i bought it for.
Is there a fix for this also??
I wish the factory guys would respond to this thread.

Scott

Guys,
Sorry for not being as responsive on this thread. I've been out of town a lot and when I last monitored this one, I saw a lot of people chiming in with helpful insights and assumed (I know..) that someone would point this discussion back to one of the other threads where I spoke in depth on this issue.
If you really want to get this handled right away - don't wait for me to see the thread and answer it - get with your dealer; who will get with our Customer Service team and get you handled. Do I know what is happening when your tank monitoring system is not recording accurately? No, but as we've talked about here before, those tank monitoring systems are rarely accurate. They just aren't - and they haven't been as long as I've been involved with building these things (22 years). We can replace the sensors, move the sensors, add sensors - and still have considerable inaccuracies in tank level management. Now - should the tanks hold what they are rated to hold in terms of gallons? ABSOLUTELY. If yours are not - get the coach in and let's get it taken care of. Is water going to escape through some of the four overflow vent tubes that we must install per code while traveling - ABSOLUTELY. But as you will find on this forum in threads addressing this issue- there are very good ways to overcome this that we cannot build into the coach - but can easily be altered after market.
ST

Scott, The trailer goes to dealer on monday 7/2/07. i must disagree with you that the water should come out during travel.
this is my 4th toyhauler and not one of them dumped 70 gallons of
water on a 125 mile trip. a couple gallons o.k. but come on.... this is a poorly thought out system and I shouldnt have to go to the aftermarket to get it right. I cannot use this trailer without water..... should i put a 100 gallon water tank in my truck bed and transfer when I need to take a shower???

Scott

I've spoken to this subject so many times before I'm just to refer you to the previous posts. Do some research.
ST

wonder why you had to speak to this problem so many times?
maybe heartland should have fixed it long ago.... don't worry I know when I have gotten taken. I'll suck it up.... fix it myself..... never buy another heartland product... tell all my friends about the snotty replies to question... and never visit this site again. Hope i can dump this POS after i get it fixed and not lose more than $20000 in the 6 months i've owned it.
don't bother replying i get the drift................

mufflerman

Duallyjim,
I've been dealing with major problems for almost a 1 1/2 YEARS. I thought this forum was to discuss pros and cons, But when cons are brought up heartland tries to cover them up and send all your posts though a moderator (which is where I will probably be again soon).
I'm with you, I've owned rv's for 25 years and NEVER had water loss issue's.

Heartland-If they cant hold 110 gal. while traveling THEN DONT PUT 100 GAL. TANK IN THEM. or is that just a marketing gimmick?
Good luck duallyjim, you will probably need it.

Forrest Fetherolf

Scott said:
I've spoken to this subject so many times before I'm just to refer you to the previous posts. Do some research.
Scott said:

Scott @ Heartland,

It is my opinion that your comment and tone is out of line. When you don't correct well-known problems in a timely manner, you open yourself up for criticism such as happened in previous posts.

This issue is such a simple thing to remedy during construction and should not be passed on to the consumer.

When I have issues like this with my subcontractors, I usually get it resolved simply by asking, "would you accept this in your own home".
The response is usually silence, followed by a weak "no," then completion of the work in a good workmanship and timely manner.

If you will provide the "as per code" requirements that Heartlands installation of the tank vents is the only legal option, then I'll be the first to back you up and tell the consumers to accept it or modify it.

Forrest

Scott

It's amazing to me what can be read into someone's typed comments on a forum - in terms of attiude and meaning. I'm sorry. I guess I should have never typed those three words... "Do some research." At the very least, I should have added, "Please" in front of them.
I was hoping that you would see that these new, larger, but still shallow tanks, combined with the RVIA standards (codes) make it very easy for today's extra large fresh water tanks to drain out one or more of the four overflow vents during travel (as has been discussed on this and other forums literally hundreds of times). Wow! What I did not expect was such a response from DuallyJim... I guess there's no need to try and decipher your mood. I guess I'm just glad that we found out how you feel up front, and not after a few months of trying to build support on the forum.
Honestly, if that's how passionately you feel about your unit - there's nothing I am going to be able to do about it. PLEASE go and buy another brand. I want you to be happy with your RV as much as you do. And yes, your new RV Mfg. might even vent their tanks up through the sidewall which we will NEVER do becasue we've seen what unsuspecting consumers have done with that set up before (blow out their cabinetry and sidewall for one thing..).
Part of me is sorry for the way you interpretted those three words - but part of is glad that it unmasked what you really wanted to say.

Heartland does stand behind our products and overall, we have a VERY GOOD track record of being able to make our customers happy when they do experience a problem. Believe it or not, the couple of hundred of people on this forum are only a sampling of the 7,000 plus Heartland owners out there on the road. And even on here, we have an overwhelmingly positive support from our owners.
Obviously, if you've been on this forum for more than a couple of days, you have seen that Forest is not one of them. He seems to scour this forum for any negative post and "pile on" whenever he gets the chance. While I could have asked long ago that you be banned from this forum becasue your motives are so obvious, we just let it go. I will say this to you though - in my humble opinion, there is NO way possible to satisfy you and to you to - I suggest that you PLEASE go and buy another brand. A perfect Brand. I'm sure there's one out there - based on your posts and RV belief system.
TO THE REGULAR FORUM MEMBERS -0bvoiusly you can see that I'm tired of some of the attitudes that we regularly get "Hammered" with by the same individuals over and over again. This is a real world - not a cyber one. In this cyber world, people like this will continue to make their case for "Heartland Sucks..." And they will continue to tell me, "We'll put Heartland out of business!" But you know what - in the real world, we have WAY TOO MANY happy Heartland owners and the facts of our servicing our customers are beyond reproof. Not to mention, this is not anyone's personal forum. It's ours - yours and mine - and as a representative of the Heartland factory - you know where we stand on literally thousands of issues. I've said it before - and I'll say it again - No. We are not perfect. But we ARE very good at making things right when our owners experience any issues. I will not give up trying to help people on this forum - but I will say this - I am DONE putting up with some of the petty, childish piling on that I see out of certain forum members. As much as they attempt to call Heartland out or say that we build junk and proclaim that we are eithe idiots or uncaring - I am going to start calling you out for not knowing or speaking the truth. A lot of you know the truth because we have personally worked with many of you on this forum to resolve any issues you may have had with your coaces. You KNOW that Heartland stands behind our product and many times goes beyond what the written warranty requires us to do to make your coach right. THAT is who Heartland is - and I am not going to let a few sour grapes ruin a good thing.
Sorry if I've offended anyone with this post - but it's Monday morning and you caught me in a rare mood for telling it like it is.
ST

Loco

:rolleyes: Scott,
I will agree with you on what you have said. As you know a long with many others on here we had many things on our rig I did not like and I have fixed them the way I feel they should have been fixed. Heartland did work with me on our troubles and they did make things right.Do I agree with some of the ways the rigs are built. No, But would I go and sell my Cyclone and get another manufactures rig? No because I know they will have troubles also. I have seen it, I have looked at them all. I know our rig is right now and the way I want it. Would I let my dealer work on my rig? No way. Most dealers and not just Heartland dealers do not pay their workers good, so they do not get people who can really fix them the way they should be fixed. Not to most people standards and for sure not mine. Not all dealers are that way,I am sure there that there are many out there that do have great folks working on the rigs. Is that Heartland fault. No. Do I think the manufactures should build them better for the money we spend on a rig. Yes.Should they spend more time on the little things like wiring run nice and neat? Yes. Should they talk to the tank manufactures and come up with a better venting system? Yes. Can the tanks be made to vent fast and hold a full load of water ? Yes. But as a buyer I know that will raise the cost of a unit. There are many people out there that are Anal about their rigs. I am one of those people. But I also find fun in fixing the things I feel where not done to my standards and try to do it better than the manufacture did. It has paid off for us. Sure I have put over 40 hours in my rig working on it. I am still doing things to it. Not because they have failed, because I do not want them to fail when we are out on the road. I have made many up grades to our rig also. Because I want them. Can I side with other owner out there who are up set? Yes because it is hard for them to get their rigs repaired quickly. That is the dealer not the manufactures most of the time. Do we like our rig? We love it now and would not have any other.Would I tell someone else to look at a Heartland? Most likely. But I would tell them to compare all makes and see for sure if that is what they want and never take a sales mans word for it.I think heartland has come a long way with the ToyHaulers and you still have a long way to get the to be the best out there.They are for sure the best looking one any where. I am sure you and your company will work hard to get it that way. I just hope and I have faith that you guys will take, not just my ideas on fixes and everyone who has come up with good repairs and make your rigs the best you can. Again We do love our rig and I will continue to improve our rig as time goes on and I will continue to let everyone see my pictures of the things I fix and improve on our rig. Just like others out there I got mad with Heartland, but I continued to talk to the factory and not on here. But on the phone and E-mails to you guys and through my dealer. I never gave up. You guys made good on the rig just like you said. Too that end I tell other owners do not give up stay on them. But do it by phone , E-mails, Through your dealer, Not on here. If you have a question use this forum. You can learn alot on here. If you are having real trouble with your rig Go right to the source the MANUFACTURES DIRECT not through a forum. I know this too be true because that's how I made it work for us. NOTE: WE LOVE OUR CYCLONE AND WOULD NOT HAVE ANYTHING LESS

Last edited: