Twist lock swap out....

Bob Vaughn

I swapped out the pita twist locks on my propane compartment, Battery/pump compartment, front storage compartment with slam latches that I got from Tweetys. One on each door is lockable and the other is push button. One key opens all 3 compartments.
DSCF2464.jpgDSCF2466.jpgDSCF2467.jpgDSCF2463.jpg

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Very Nice Bob! I'll have to check out tweety's. Probably a lot less $$ than swapping out the doors. Do they work well? Adjustable in in any way?

Well, I found them but what size did you order? Also, did you have to shim the mechanism behind the door so the catch would engage the "rim" of the door frame? Thanks!

jimtoo

Bob,, you might want to check, but I am pretty sure it's unlawful to have propane in a locked compartment. I don't know of anyone that has been checked, but I am pretty sure it's for safety reasons, like in an accident or a leak, someone is able to get to tank and turn it off.

Link to slam lock at Tweety's.

Jim M

Ray LeTourneau

I didn't see any lock on the LP compartment, The 4th picture shows 2 pushbuttons I think.
On second thought, maybe the bottom one is keyed. If it is keyed, you guys are right, that's a no no.:confused:

Bob Vaughn

I didn't see any lock on the LP compartment, The 4th picture shows 2 pushbuttons I think.
I did not show the propane door......but if it is illegal to lock it then I can just swap the push button one on the battery compartment with the lock and just have 2 locks on the battery compartment....there is one key that unlocks them all so it is not a problem......

Ray LeTourneau

I did not show the propane door......but if it is illegal to lock it then I can just swap the push button one on the battery compartment with the lock and just have 2 locks on the battery compartment....there is one key that unlocks them all so it is not a problem......

So I guess on your rig the right side door is battery & hydraulics? The propane door needs open access for emergency situations for both yourself and emergency response type people. ON our Bighorn the propane is on both sides and the battery & hydraulics are in the front compartment. Latch size? 3/4 or 1"?? Shimmed?

Bob Vaughn

So I guess on your rig the right side door is battery & hydraulics? The propane door needs open access for emergency situations for both yourself and emergency response type people. ON our Bighorn the propane is on both sides and the battery & hydraulics are in the front compartment. Latch size? 3/4 or 1"?? Shimmed?
The doors are the 1" thick size. I did have to put a piece of aluminum angle on the front compartment so that they would latch properly. They just would not catch. I had to climb inside to watch them close to see what was happening.......

Ray LeTourneau

The doors are the 1" thick size. I did have to put a piece of aluminum angle on the front compartment so that they would latch properly. They just would not catch. I had to climb inside to watch them close to see what was happening.......

I think I understand. Our doors are the older 3/4" so I may be able to buy the 1" lock and shim the mechanism to have the same result. I may try buying one for a test. Thanks again Bob.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Very nice Mod, Bob!

Yes, swap those push button and lock on the propane, in an emergency, you don't want to be searching for a key!

And your battery is more valuable to a thief than a heavy bottle of propane.

jbeletti

Bob,

Very cool mod! Thanks for sharing with the community. Please do a show and tell at the FL rally if you'll be there in March.

For everyone, I just wanted to share a story of needing access to the propane tanks. At a rally a couple years ago, there was a fire inside someone's coach. One guy ran to unplug the coach from power and I ran to shut off the propane tanks. The fire was contained quickly by the owner who was running right behind us, though he did burn his hand pretty good. Anyway, access to the propane tanks is really important.

This is not to beat Bob up, just my public service announcement today :)

Happy camping y'all.

Jim

Bob Vaughn

I am happy to report that I am now in compliance with DOT propane safety regs. I switched out the lockable slam lock on the propane door with a push button from the battery compartment door. So now everything is now compliant.....

TXBobcat

Fulltime
We are so proud of you and your government is very pleased with your compliance.. :cool:

Continue on good citizen. :p

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I'm the unruly one, then. I've got a lock on my propane cabinet and it's staying there. It's locked while in storage and any other time the propane is turned off at the tanks, like when we commute home from the seasonal site. If I decide to haul it somewhere with the fridge on propane, I'll leave it unlocked. Report me to the gendarmes, if you like.

As far as the government, there ain't enough tar and chicken feathers to go around.

porthole

Retired

Trust me, those locks are not going to stop a thief or emergency responders.

We have a master key for every lock.
Some of them are simple and some of them are gasoline and or hydraulic powered :rolleyes:

porthole

Retired
I don't disagree but they come that way from the factory for a reason. Maybe RVIA standard?

I'm sure they are Ray, either RIVA or DOT or whomever. But I am still not going to lose any sleep over it. Recreation-ally or when I go to work.
But, being an RV'r at least gives me the knowledge of those compartments for when I am at work, something I didn't have 10 years ago.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
My favorite master key set. As our Chief likes to remind us, "...an axe always works."