Cyclone versus Voltage

readytohitheroad

Realizing that selecting a toyhauler has much to do with personal preference I would like to ask the following:

Walked thru both a Cyclone and a Voltage (Dutchmen) this weekend.

As Cyclone owners why did you opt for a Cyclone rather than a Voltage?

My wife and I will be doing alot of dry camping and the extra water carrying capability of the Voltage was a huge plus.

sdrubrecht

How much water do you need? Thats a lot of weight to haul. Its just the 2 of us and we can go for 6 nights and not be stingy. Make sure your truck is up to the weight. We liked the Cyclone for the looks and floorplan. It has worked well for us, the 14000lb vs 16500lb GVW was also a deciding factor. Puts you in a whole new area license wise in Ca. My truck is a daily driver and we didnt want to go to a dually. If you mentioned how many people you camp with and which models you are considering you could get some more focused answers.

Lynn1130

What sdrubrech said.
Most all of our camping is dry as well as the hunting trips. The last family camping trip had 11 of us and the 115 gals of water was fine. On those trips I do carry a few extra water cans for safety. You just make sure everyone understands "sea showers".

AJJONES

Senior GM for Cyclone, Torque, Gateway & Sundance
Voltage has done a great job in its first year in the market place, and does have larger water tank capacities, but those large capacities are not worth the compromises that they come with. Voltage achieves these large tank capacities because they are not running hydraulic rams for the slide outs in between the frame rails. This causes many other issues especially in the reliability of the functioning of the slide outs. There are also a lot of differences that you should be aware of.

1. Voltage has only been out for a year. EVERY new product goes through some sort of learning curve. Take a look at many other toy hauler blogs or sites. You will find that Voltage is definitely still trying to over come many different issues.
  2. Cyclone uses the time tested and proven Hydraulic slide outs that apply 400 PSI of static pressure that compress the seals and hold the slide out room tight preventing leaks as a result of settling or shifting(same thing you will find in all of your industrial equipment). Voltage is using a much weaker and un-proven Shwintech slide out system. This system works great on smaller bedroom closet slide outs, but often times does not function properly on the big Mega Slide. The proof that there is a problem is when they first introduced Voltage they had 4 tracks that mount to the slide out end walls. Since then they have added another track on each side hoping that it will create more static pressure to seal the slide out properly and resolve some of the issues that they are having. Ask yourself would they spend the extra money if there is not a problem. They are having issues with the slide outs binding up and not coming in because of the size and weight of the slide out (especially when additional weight is added to one side or another).
  3. Voltage and nearly every other toy hauler in the market are using electric front landing gear that is insufficient. The electric landing gear is manufactured for standard 5[SUP]th[/SUP] wheel tongue weights. These electric jacks are overloaded with the 3000lbs + tongue weights of most toy haulers especially when un-loaded. If you look at many of the internet forums, there it’s a big issue with toy haulers, especially Voltage because they weight is over 15,000Lbs on every floor plan outside of its 3200 and 3005 V-series. Cyclone only uses Hydraulic front landing gear. Hydraulic landing gear is not only 2 ½ times stronger it is 15 times faster and self leveling (no more shimming boards to level the un-even surface).
  4. Voltage is using standard leaf spring suspension (Voltage just introduced option for E-Z flex) on the weaker Lippert axles. Cyclone uses the E-Z flex suspension system standard with heavier duty Dexter axles complete with e-z lube, and self adjusting brakes. This is a HUGE advantage and gives you a much better ride quality. Think of a Toy Hauler as a house on wheels that goes through a 5.2 on the Richter scale every time it travels down the road. The E-Z flex reduces this vibration by nearly 30%. This will not only protect your toys (think of the back of the bus), but it will also increase the life of the unit. Think off all the moving parts that are violently being shaken while traveling down the road. It also adds 3” of articulation to the suspension that will allow you to travel to more places that the competition can’t.
  5. Voltage has a very large front cap that limits you’re turning capability unlike the patent pending 88 degree turning radius of the Cyclone. This is very important when trying to maneuver a 40+ foot toy hauler into tight spots!

1. Voltage has much cheaper bag slam latches and baggage doors. Yet another Cyclone first that everyone tries to duplicate. However Voltage uses cheap plastic latches that crack and break off all of the time unlike the metal latches that Cyclone uses.
  2. Voltage uses much cheaper countertops. Cyclone has a true solid surface countertop that wraps around the edges, where it is solid surface even on the bottom (feel underneath the bottom of the counter and you will notice the difference) and we mold our solid surface around Plywood. Voltage just glues a thin layer of solid surface material over particle board which is exposed on the bottom of the counter top.
  3. Voltage is very expensive on average Cyclone is about $8,000 - $15,000 less retail!!!! They force you to buy 4 TV’s (most of which never get watched). Ask your self, how many things you can buy for $8,000 - $15,000. You could actually buy all new toys to put in the back of you toy hauler! And if you are financing the unit don’t forget the additional interest payments that you will be making on such a high payment. That $15,000 is now more like $20,000 if you pay for the entire time of the loan.
  4. Voltage uses metal wheel wells, which you think would be tougher however they are very easy to dent especially after the first rock hits them. The plastic fenders give you a clean look and are very hard to damage.
  5. Voltage uses a 110 stereo in the main living area witch causes issues for many customers that are dry camping. This means you have to be plugged in or have to run the generator just to listen to your stereo. Unlike the Cyclone that uses the much more functional 12 volt system that runs off of the battery.
  6. Voltage puts there washer / dryer prep in the garage area. This can create huge problems because if the customer wants washer and dryer it is now going to take up there valuable garage space. Cyclone (on most floor plans) utilizes the space on the bottom corner of the walk in front closet. This is a much more functional set up and will not prevent you from bringing your toys along with you.
  7. Voltage does not have nor do they even offer a rear cap. Not only does the rear cap look great on the back of the Cyclone and also increase aero-dynamic efficiency. It is also the ultimate rain gutter and allows you to leave the garage door down while raining without having water rushing into the garage area. Also check out Cyclones LED lights.
  8. Voltage is very heavy. Although on their brochures they advertise that their units are just a little over 14,000lbs it is not true. When you actually look at the real weights of these units almost all of their floor plans (except 3200 and 3005) are well over 15,000lbs EMPTY!!!!!! This limits many buyers that can actually haul these things.
  9. Voltage uses a very cheap and uncomfortable mattress. They claim that it is a “Premium Mattress” however do your self a favor and lay down on a Voltage mattress and then jump on Cyclone’s memory foam pillow top mattress and you will definitely notice the difference.
  10. Voltage is using the 12 gal. Suburban water heater that only produces 16 gallons of hot water an hour, while Cyclone use the much more efficient Atwood 10 gal water heater that produces 20 gal. of hot water an hour.
  11. Voltage is using the “seamless windows” these windows may look ascetically pleasing on the out side; however they give less than half of the ventilation in the coach as the Cyclone windows do.
  12. Voltage uses OSB flooring in the garage area; this is much weaker than the 1” marine grade plywood that goes into the back of every Cyclone. The OSB also starts to fall apart when it becomes moist, which can cause many issues even kick stands going through soft floors while traveling down the road.
  13. Voltage uses your standard “RV furniture” using cloth and patterned pillows that stain very easily. Cyclone uses high leathers that wipe down easily, and have a high end residential look. Most Cyclone furniture also has 3 built in recliners in the sofa’s which gives you the benefit of having recliners, HUGE couch, and dinette all in one.
  14. Voltage slide out floor consists of OSB that has a layer of radiant foil (no actual R-value unless reflected off of the sun) and Poly-Flex vapor barrier (the cheap black stuff that tears easily). Unlike Cyclone that uses an actual laminated slide out floor that uses plywood as the base, with insulation, and a solid piece of Paxiland (hard fiberglass moisture resistant material). Cyclone’s slides out floors are much better insulated, much stronger and will not tear on the bottom.
  15. Every Cyclone comes with a quick connect LP gas line so that you can run your portable grill off of the LP off of the unit. Voltage does not provide you with one which forces you to carry a separate LP tank just to grill.
  16. Every Cyclone comes with a molded, aerodynamic hitch pin cover that also helps to protect the hitch pin from rusting while the Voltage just has an exposed pin box.
  17. When ordering the option of the 12 cu. ft. refrigerator the Cyclone comes with a built in ice maker at no additional charge, where as it is not even available on Voltage.
  18. Cyclone also has the large pull out grab handle on the garage door and the main entry door, Voltage only has one pull out grab handle on the main entry door. This is very dangerous with such steep steps.
  19. Cyclone also has superior roof construction. While Cyclone and Voltage both have 5” tapered truss roof using 3/8 decking the Cyclone roof has a far superior design. Voltage sets there roof directly over the walls applying the gutter rails on the seam where they connect. This seam is exposed and can break apart. Keep in mind that 5th wheel toy haulers have a lot of flex and movement when they travel down the road, which can cause problem with this seam. That is why Cyclone takes radius metal that covers the seam where the roof and wall meet. We then stretch the rubber roof material over the radius metal and over the side wall. We then fasten the rubber roof material to the gutter that is around 6” down. With this construction it is nearly impossible for water to penetrate into the side wall.
  20. Voltage also has an inferior slide seal system. Cyclone uses the best seal system in the industry with Double swipes, double bulb seals, corner blocks placed in every corner, huge rubber seal on the back side of the fascia, and we even notch back our floors 4” where a wedge shaped slide out floor pan is installed with a Nylon wear bar. All of this along with 400 PSI of static pressure from the hydraulic slide out system will give you the BEST SEAL EVERY TIME. Unlike the un-predictability of the Shwintech system that does not utilize near as many seals.
  21. Cyclone now has the all new Exclusive ultimate patio where we take our ramp door patio option; add an electric awning over the top of the patio (Voltage uses a manual crank out). We also add the exclusive 3 season’s wall. This is an all new see through wall that seals off the garage area from the patio deck. It also has a sliding door built in the center to get in and out. The entire wall is hinged on the out side edges so when it is time to load your toys you simply pull two pins and it opens completely up. Now you can keep your ramp door patio set up and not affect your garage area as a living space.

sJv

AJ pretty much sums up the differences. The main items he mentions that made the Voltage a non-starter for me were their swintek slide design and electric landing gear. I'd much rather have the proven hydraulic slide and landing gear than 4 TV's and a remote control awning. I do wish the keyless remote was available on the Cyclone, though!

On the other hand, I applaud Voltages and Fuzions as it has caused Heartland to up their game in interior design! Compare a modern Cyclone with one from even 2 years ago! Thanks, Dutchmen and Keystone! A little sibling rivalry never hurt anybody... :)

-steve

TwoGypsies

AJ, you've added some additional gaps we didn't know about. I'll give you another one. The Voltage couch is extremely uncomfortable. We sat in one and immediately realized the couch would have to be changed out. Some owners have posted the details of their upgrade on new rigs.
Having said this, I think you'll need to continue watching Voltage very closely. They present very well and make a stellar first impression. We went into one at a CW store and my wife wanted to trade for it immediately! (Her main interest was the nice bedroom layout with good room on both sides of the bed, and a better pantry, plus the overall look & feel of the unit was extremely nice.) I had my several concerns including the slides, electric landing gear etc, but agreed to be open-minded and take a more serious look, as long as we also looked at the new Cyclones. We almost bought a 3612 instead of our 3812 and I wanted to revisit that decision as part of any thought to deal for a new rig. Ultimately we went to a major dealer that had several 2012 Voltage, Cyclone & Fusion rigs parked side by side. A close review led us to select the Cyclone 3800 as our overall favorite, and we couldn't justify the expense and hassle of upgrading. We continue to enjoy our 'ancient' 2011 rig and look forward to using it for many years to come. However, if we were inexperienced shoppers looking for our first rig with no appreciation for the technical gaps, we could be Voltage owners today. I suggest that Heartland take a good close look at how Voltage presents so well. It could be nothing more than the color palate or lighting, or maybe surface finishes. You've got them covered on the technical side, but that's not the only thing that sells.

readytohitheroad

Not settled at this point. Just when I thought we were decided on the 3950 I took another look at the 3800 and 4100 and am having second doubts as to which model to purchase. Good problem to have!

shartflhs

Readytohittheroad, I had some questions about which model to get too. That was until today, I got a tour of the factory and got to see the 4100 prototype and walk through it. No question about it now, it is as close to a Landmark with a garage as you can get. Absolutely beautiful. Its not being made quite yet but for that I can wait.

jimtoo

Readytohittheroad, I had some questions about which model to get too. That was until today, I got a tour of the factory and got to see the 4100 prototype and walk through it. No question about it now, it is as close to a Landmark with a garage as you can get. Absolutely beautiful. Its not being made quite yet but for that I can wait.

Hi shartflhs,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge.

Glad you got to see the new model and pass the word around.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

troy6242

AJ convinced me to buy Cyclone..oh wait I already have one...good review!:rolleyes:

I'm thinking about buying my first RV, Cyclone CY 4100. Mainly because I like the idea of the back toilet with 3-4 kids on board. Do I need a dually to effectively tow that unit? Are there license restrictions in any states?

jimtoo

Hi troy6242,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the family of owners. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

For safety all around and ease of towing I would go with a dually. I'm sure some other members will jump in soon that have the 4100 with their opinions.

Meanwhile enjoy the forum.

Jim M

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Troy6242, you'll have to look at your state's requirements for the drivers license. If you are legal in your home state, you will be legal everywhere.

Good luck with the new Cyclone, enjoy it.

remoandiris

Cyclone and Road Warrior beat the Voltages I have seen because;

floorplan
washer/dryer placement
3-season wall in garage

Impatiently waiting for the 2014 RW390 and CY4000 and 4100 floorplans to come out. One of them will replace my current Jayco.

scottyb

Do I need a dually to effectively tow that unit? Are there license restrictions in any states?

The states vary some in their requirements. In Texas, it requires a Class A Operators (non CDL) license due to CGVWR over 26K and towing a trailer with GVWR over 10K.

danemayer

The states vary some in their requirements. In Texas, it requires a Class A Operators (non CDL) license due to CGVWR over 26K and towing a trailer with GVWR over 10K.
The Texas Driver's Handbook uses ambiguous language that makes it seem like a Class A is required. The actual statute is crystal clear that the >26,000 requirement doesn't apply to RVs towed for personal use. The Texas Motor Carriers Guide to Highway Safety incorporates the statute language:
Persons Exempted from Texas CDL requirements (TRC 522.004)
Farmer/Rancher or his employee operating a vehicle that would be classified as a CMV and is:
o Controlled and operated by a farmer or his employee;
o Used to transport agricultural products, farm machinery or farm supplies to and from a farm
o Not used in the operation of a contract or common carrier; and
o Used within 150 air miles of the person's farm or ranch.
Persons operating firefighting or emergency vehicles necessary for the preservation of life and property.
Military personnel operating military vehicles.
Persons operating recreational vehicles for personal use.
A person operating a vehicle owned, leased or controlled by an air carrier and that is operated exclusively
at the premises of an airport.
A vehicle used exclusively to transport seed cotton modules or cotton burrs.

Last edited:

scottyb

An RV is exempt from CDL requirements but it does not apply to the weight restrictions. Here's what a Class C driver's license qualifies you drive.

Class C Driver License

A Class C driver license permits a person to drive:

1. A single vehicle or combination of vehicles that are not included in Class A or Class B; and

2. A single vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of less than 26,001 lbs. towing a trailer

not to exceed 10,000 lbs. GVWR or a farm trailer with a GVWR that does not exceed 20,000 lbs.

oscar

Yes, some states, including PA, require a non commercial class A when the trailer is over 10K. I have never seen it enforced.