Increasing GVWR

iefpro01

Hey guys I have a F250 PSD SWB Crew Cab I currently have the 3.73 rear end with the 8800# GVWR Package. Primary question: What things can I do to increase the GCVWR of this truck 2K? The only modification so far is a Walker Big Truck muffler. Planned the Ford Heavy Duty air intake system and Guages.
Sub Questions:
1) What the heck is the 8800# GVWR Package?
2) What type guages should I get? I am thinking Pyro, Transmission Temp. But what else shoul I get?

Thanks Folks for the help - All suggestions are welcome!

Last edited:

jpmorgan37

The axles, frame and springs are the major determining factors for the GVWR of your TV. You can do a lot of things to improve the pulling power and ride while towing, but you are pretty well locked in on the weight rating of the vehicle. Even changing the suspension components won't "legally" change the weight rating. The easiest way is to upgrade to a larger tow vehicle.

John

iefpro01

I know that you can do it. The axles are typically much higher ratings on trucks. I.E. Change the gear ratio from 3.73 to 4.10 or 4.30 or 4.88 and you add about 1K with each gear ratio.. Don't have to change the axle. The frame doesn't really change when going from a 250 to a 350 or 450...

Now I know you can only go so far - but I know you can legally change. Think about all the Limos you see on the road. Like the one I saw the other day that was an escalade that was at least 20' long! It had to be twice if not three times the normal weight of that vehicle. Saw on TV the other day one that had a SPA in the back! So This is what I am exploring...

I bought the 3655RD, my Ford can go to about 14K towing - so as long as I don't fill the water tanks and load 'er to the top and take her to the 16K max I should be ok. But it made me wonder what things could someone do to get a small 1-2 K boost.

I saw un another website that it can be done legally and that there are shops that can actually change the GVWR plate on the truck - but they did not mention what they did! So I thought hey might be a good discussion point for our forum...

HappyKayakers

iefpro,
I've seen the same things about mods to increase GVWR, can't remember the name of the shop but I'll post back if I find it later. As far as the gear ratio, I think that only affects the GCVWR (i.e. how much you can pull) as opposed to GVWR (how much the truck itself can weigh).

iefpro01

HappyKayakers, to many acronyms! LOL. Im really after the GCVWR. And I just made an edit to correct..

jpmorgan37

iefpro01;
Do you still have any of your semi tractors? Then you won't have any problem with either the GVWR or GCVWR. Just kidding. You are correct in that there are approved rebuilders that can replate a vehicle for a higher GVWR, but if you look back into you law books, you won't find anywhere that we can do it on our own. There are a few states that are looking at us very seriously about being overloaded. I happen to be in one of them right now; Pennsylvania. We still have to be careful on the GCWR even if we increase the combined weight capabilities. Not trying to be argumentative, just trying to help. I posted this some time ago. //heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?t=1644

John

iefpro01

John - no one is saying you are being argumentative! ;) That is why I started this thread, lets explore it and maybe we can find out what can be
done. I have actually started it else where and have sent some e-mails. I am really interested in this. Maybe we can discover some options that we can do, instead of buying a new truck. Some of us can’t just say the heck with it - going to go plop another 40-50K on a new truck! LOL So amybe 2K$ can get us, well 2K... :D

And yes we could not make a legal change by a do-it-yourself method. But if you take it to the right shop they can actually replace the Manufacturers printed plate with a new one.

BTW - I found out what the 8800#GVWR package was. It actually was some things the factory did to increase the GVWR. I haven't found out the entire Picture; but it included an upgrade in the radiator, trans cooler, springs, etc. It was designed to increase the payload, for truck bed campers. It also had an impact on total rear axle weight for Fifth Wheel Hitches.

49 CFR codes

I was trying to find the regulation on this subject.. this is what I found so far, this is a interesting subject!
CFR Title 49--Transportation

§ 585.1 Definitions.
(a) All terms defined in 49 U.S.C.
30102 are used in accordance with their
statutory meaning.
(b) The terms bus, gross vehicle weight
rating or GVWR, motor vehicle, multipurpose
passenger vehicle, passenger car, and
truck are used as defined in § 571.3 of
this chapter.
(c) Production year means the 12-
month period between September 1 of
one year and August 31 of the following
year, inclusive,
PART 583--AUTOMOBILE PARTS CONTENT LABELING

I'm thinking about pulling thriples I have a 16 v neck ATV trailer its rated at 7000 lbs. this might add a little more weight to GVWR?? I had my unit weighed this year fully loaded except water it was 12, 200 gcw
Truck Rated,5200 lb front axle,6100 lb rear axle
--------------
11,300 lb total truck weight Truck & Trailer (Scaled), 4440 lb front axle,6300 lb rear axle,10,700 lb trailer axle
-----------------
21440 lb total combined truck & trailer weight
How does that work on my GCW, and do you think you would try triples???
any input appreciated.
Sonny:D

crazybanshee

Been reading alot of posts on this subject. Cann't figure out if people are trying to tow legally or trying to be safe. I would never consider hooking up my F350 to our Cyclone. The price of a new TV is minor compared to the loss of my property or any or all of my family because of an overloaded rig. Just because you can tow it doesn't mean you can stop it in an emergency. IMO Doug

Happy Campers

I know Dodge will not allow the tag on the door to be changed.I know there are things that could be done to increase the gvwr on a dodge but whatever you do dodge won't allow a weight increase.On the other hand you can buy a license plate with a higher weight rating from the state you live in.I think i used the right terminology.