Prospective Heartland owner question. None in nj?

Porkchop

My husband and I have narrowed down our rv choice to a few companies. Heartland is top of the list.

My cornern is after emailing the regional rep, there are no dealers that sell the product. He says if a dealer carries the Heartland product it could be serviced there but it would be up to the dealer. I'm not sure what that means? He closest dealer he gave me was in Maryland and I'm in NJ, next to NYC.

We don't travel a lot, it's mostly to and. from track days that is in south jersey.

Will I be able to get my rv worked on close to home?

PS we are looking at toy haulers but posted in the general forum to get more answers.

Thank you.

dieselsweetheart

Hi Porkchop! Welcome to Heartland and hope to hear you have become an owner!!

We have a few owners who live in NJ and they will be answering your questions as soon as they log on for the day!! In fact, our northeast regional directors, Debbie and John Bylinski, live in NJ and purchased their RV there. Hang in there and clarification will come along! Hope to see you at a rally in the future!

iforget

New Jersey Chapter Leader-retired
There is one dealer I know of that sells Heartland products in New Jersey.
Crossroads Trailer Sales
1230 Harding Highway
Newfield, NJ 08344

Local(856) 697-4497
Fax (856) 697-3835
Many of our members have purchased rigs from Crossroads and only have nice things to say. (A few have even bought multiple units from them. )
They also are big supporters of our New Jersey Heartland Chapter.
I am sure that Debbie and John Bylinski, our Northeast Regional Directors will give Crossroads a great recommendation as well.
Have you signed up yet for the New Jersey Chapter Rally? If not, please consider joining us as I can guarantee you will have a great time. Once you attend one Rally, you are hooked!
Duane, aka Porthole, and I own a Cyclone Toy Hauler and are very pleased with our unit. Duane actually visited several of the toyhauler manufacturers in Indiana and the Heartland product offered everything we were looking for.

Porkchop

Thanks so much for the information!!!!

We are extremely interested in the Cyclone 3010... and need to buy a new truck to haul it too. So would a 3/4 ton diesel pick up with a short bed work? Do I need a slider 5th wheel thing?

Did you buy the Cyclone there? or did you buy it from somewhere else and have it delivered?

We have a 10.5 month old son and do about 10 track days a year. One is up in Canada with very limited facilities so we need some sort of RV as we plan on bringing our son.

I wish we could actually see on up close, but I think the closest one is in VA when I do a search for them.

Feel free to PM me if you'd like!

You are all so very nice!

I'll check out the Rally, where do I find the info? I'll try to do a search for it too. :)

iforget

New Jersey Chapter Leader-retired
Sorry for the duplicate information. I must have been typing up my response when Cheryl posted a response to you.
No we didnt buy our 3010 Cyclone there, Duane drove out to Heartland in Indiana and picked it up.
If you have questions about the Cyclone, Porthole can certainly help you out as he is quite knowledgeable about the 3010 Cyclone. I think the unit would work very well hauling a motorcycle and a 10 month old baby! Once you are set up at a site and pull the bike out, the garage would make a perfect play/ sleep area for the baby.
We haul a motorcycle and a golf cart and then when the garage is empty it becomes our dogs play room.
We look forward to meeting up with you and your family in the near future... remember to check out the Rallies. We attend the surrounding states rallies as well as NJ.

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
You could check around and see if there are any independent shops in your area. It is not uncommon for Heartland to authorize warranty work through independent service shops. It would also give you a place to have regular maintenance done if you don't want to do it yourself. Below is a link to a service review site I found. Good luck.

http://rvservicereviews.com/

Here is another link for helping with tow vehicle questions.

http://fifthwheelst.com/

Last edited:

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
Thanks so much for the information!!!!

We are extremely interested in the Cyclone 3010... and need to buy a new truck to haul it too. So would a 3/4 ton diesel pick up with a short bed work? Do I need a slider 5th wheel thing?

Did you buy the Cyclone there? or did you buy it from somewhere else and have it delivered?

We have a 10.5 month old son and do about 10 track days a year. One is up in Canada with very limited facilities so we need some sort of RV as we plan on bringing our son.

I wish we could actually see on up close, but I think the closest one is in VA when I do a search for them.

Feel free to PM me if you'd like!

You are all so very nice!

I'll check out the Rally, where do I find the info? I'll try to do a search for it too. :)

I love my 2010 Cyclone 3010. I'm in mass but purchased my unit in Ohio... ( drove out and picked it up )

I tow mine with a 2005 Chevy Silverado 2500 ( 3/4 ton ) with a short bed and Slider ( it is not a requirement - but I needed to be able to make turns greater than 88deg )

I owned the truck when I got the 3010 - If I were getting a TV before the 5th W - I would have opted for a 1 ton 3500 - for the extra margin in tow rating

the 2500 is within tow specs - but approaching the upper limits.

I look forward to seeing you at a Rally or two this summer...

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I just read another thread today that stated that the 3010 has an up graded GWR of 16500. The OP needs to call AJ Jones at HL and confirm this. If this is true, then you will need a new GM or other TV that is rated for this GVW rating. I THINK the new 2500 GM trucks are rated at 17200 for a 5er starting with the 2011's.

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
Hello!

I sent you a PM with some information that may be helpful!

Best Wishes!

SGeohagan

I have a Big Horn I bought in Florida. I live in NC. The closest Heartland dealer is 90 miles but didn't want to service it when I had warranty issues. The next closest was 130 miles. I found a RV dealer 30 miles away that agreed to work on it. They are the service rep for Dometic so fixed refrigerator under warranty. They worked with Heartland to resolve my water heater problem and Heartland is paying them direct for warranty service. You might want to call dealers in your area to see if they work on rvs they don't sell. I am well pleased with the one and will go back to them.

porthole

Retired
Scott's RV in Lakewood is also a Heartland dealer, but they are not "Cyclone dealers".
They can work on them though.

Last edited:

Porkchop

Fantastic information everyone!!!! I love that everyone here has been so helpful including the rep at Heartland. I makes me feel great about purchasing the Heartland! It seems like a great community here.

I'm just a bit nervous pulling the trigger too since I originally wanted to keep our current TV and just get a TT toy hauler BUT my eyes are MUCH bigger! Its like buying a house! My price point just keeps going up, up and up (including the purchase of a new TV - hubby wants the 1 ton dually diesel but the cost of buy BOTH is a bit staggering). I might have to tone town my wants and focus on the needs... BUT at the same token, we hope to keep this for the long haul and NOT need to upgrade anytime soon. So put out the money now?

I guess the next questions is where to find the best price.

Thanks again for the PMs and feel fee to continue to contact me! I really hope to get an RV very very soon.

Oh another question...

I noticed on one website that it says that there is only 13 days left for the $3000 factory rebate. Is this on top of any "price" I negotiate with a dealer?

There are so many options and I've been feeling a bit overwhelmed. That and I don't have a place to park it yet -- I live in a small city (hoboken, nj) so we need to find a place to park it. That's another topic all together....

Anyway, I might not have great access to the web (going on vaca in VT this weekend) so I might not be able to reply back anytime soon.

Thank you all so much!

Wtnealejr

First, I would like to say congrats on deciding to go with Heartland. My wife and I purchased our 3rd fifth-wheel unit last year and we decided to go with a 3 slider by Greystone (Heartland). We spent a long time looking at various manufacturers designs and kept coming back to the 29mk. As you are probably experiencing yourself, finding a local dealer on the East coast once you decide on a model or two can be challenging. We took possession of our 2012 29mk back in September; probably one of the first 2012s off the line from what we gathered from Heartland and the dealership we went through. We have already used it quite a bit and absolutely love it! We are very, very pleased with the quality of the unit. I have done a few things with the unit and have thoroughly looked at the construction.....it is so much of an improvement over the last units we owned (both Keystone). Ever since, my wife and I have enthusiastically recommended Heartland to anyone we have come across looking to purchase.
Now, having said this, I must forwarn you about my experience with Crossroads, in NJ. I was looking for a 2011 and hoping to find the best deal since the season was ending. I found a 29mk that was advertised as new, at Crossroads. Only when I called a couple of times and started asking numerous questions did the sales guy finally tell me that he had sold that unit to a retiree a few months earlier who came back to trade up to the larger 36' unit (29mk is 31'). Therefore, technically, the unit was "used". When we started trying to get a price, I was not very pleased at the offer and sales guy didnt want to work with me. My wife and I got irritated and tired of the seach. So we called Heartland directly and asked for assistance in locating a 29mk on the East coast. Cant remember his name but he was very helpful, polite, and prompt in helping us. We told us what we were looking for and it ended up that a 2012 was on the factory floor being built. We had the option of choosing some colors at that point and a couple of options we wanted too.
Anyway, Heartland told us it was going to RV Outlet, in Danville, VA. They called that dealership for us and worked out EVERYTHING! We got a brand new 2012 29mk, with our choices, for just under what Crossroads wanted for their used 2011 29mk!!!!!!! Had to drive 5 hours each way, but we are so happy it worked out that way.
Well, that's all. I saw this one and wanted to go ahead and give my 2 cents. Really, really pleased with Heartland both in terms of their product and staff. RV OUTLET was really good too. I believe our sales person was "Bill". Always was prompt returning our calls...and with answers. Upon picking up the unit, their shop guys spent 2 hours with me going over access to different things on the unit, etc. (I'm a bit of a do it yourselfer) Ironically, I havnt had a single problem with my Greystone.
Also, I have pulled heavy 5ers with a RAM 2500- in the Rockies, Canada, deserts of Utah, all over. You dont need to bother with a dually unless you plan on getting a heavy trailer riding on the hitch ball. For a fifth-wheel, a 2500 Chevy, Dodge, or Ford will do you just fine. I mean it! Oh, and 4:10 gearing on the dually will get you turning 3500 rpm just to go 55 down the interstate. My RAM 2500 has 3:73 gearing and we do fine. Ok, well best of luck!!!!! Bill and Sarah Neale

jimtoo

Hi Bill and Sarah,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. I see you have been around for a while, but just now getting into the posting mood. It's great that you have come out of the woodwork and thanks for the great report about your Greystone.

Think about joining us in the Heartland Owners Club where we have rallies, great food and other benefits.

Enjoy the forum and your Greystone.

Jim M

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
Wow, this is a first for me. We have purchased three 5er's from Crossroad's Trailer Sales and know many more that have also purchased there! The Sales staff are always helpful and cooperative and the service has always been exceptional.

Bosty

I have a 2012 3010 that I tow with a 3/4 2012 Ford F250 and it is an awesome combination. Highly, highly, highly recommend both. My truck is a short bed and no slider is needed. I've made many tight turns with ho problems at all. Just make sure that the hitch is mounted directly over the axle and you will be perfect.

porthole

Retired
Cyclones and short beds, keep in mind that:
  • Cyclones are 5" wider then regular 5th wheels
  • Most of the newer trucks sit higher then in the past, and this may cause some clearance issues between bed and trailer
  • Care needs to be taken especially when backing, turning and going up a hill.
Backing and turning up a hill can very quickly diminish your clearance between cab and trailer.
We used a Super Glide on the GMC and I wouldn't be without it.