Mission Tire Club

RugRat

Joined the Mission Tire Club (MTC) today. Heading east on I-40 just outside of Hickory, NC when the rear passager side tire blew. Didn't know, but a car was flashing lights and then saw tire tread. Luckily, no trailer damage upon initially inspection (sitting on highway). Whole sidewall was blown out on outer side. Tires were only 1 year old and check pressures prior to every trip.

sailorand

Past British Columbia Chapter Leader
RugRat
that is not good to hear that you joined "that" club. It is good that there was no appearent damage. 1 year and 9000 miles on my Missions so far.....
Rand

jpmorgan37

RugRat;
Sorry to hear about the tire failure, but glad that there was no damage. That is good news.
John

C

Chulinw

Sorry you had to join the tire failure club. Now you will fully understand why a large number of us have change the tires out to Goodyear or Michelin tires.

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
Sorry about your blow out Rugrat,but as everyone else has already said glad there was not any apparant damage. I live just a few miles from Hickory is there anything I can do to help?

RugRat

TRDeal - thanks for the offer. I was able to change the tire in about 15 minutes so got right back on the road. What do people think of Greenball or Carlisle Tires. I can get a set of 4 for $443 out the door which includes balancing. This would be for a ST225/75/15 Load Range E tire. The Missions were Load Range D.

Uncle Rog

Buy The Best Tires

Howdy, go long on tires, I was lucky the first time, the second blowout was a little nasty...........

Attachments

• DSC02413.JPG
    DSC02413.JPG
    479.7 KB · Views: 68

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
RugRat said:
TRDeal - thanks for the offer. I was able to change the tire in about 15 minutes so got right back on the road. What do people think of Greenball or Carlisle Tires. I can get a set of 4 for $443 out the door which includes balancing. This would be for a ST225/75/15 Load Range E tire. The Missions were Load Range D.

I know only one thing its darn near impossible to buy a ST trailer tire that is not made in China, The Carlisles are as bad as what you have on it , I'm not really up to par on the Greenball.
I was on my last trailer forum and two guys said there new trailers had GY- Marathons on stamped made in China. The 15 inch size is really low on choice, with 16 inchers you can go with a LT E rated Michilen Rib or the G rated GY RST. Good Luck! --- Ken--- Might checkout Maxxis.

Last edited:

sharmulst

We replaced all 5 of our Mission tires before we went to the rally. Steve found one had a crack in the groove about 12" long as well as a bulge. The tires had only about 12,000 miles on them. Called Mission and they said to send them back. Mission is authorizing UPS to pick them up and they will be on there way this week, as we just got home on the 15th. When looking at them this morning Steve also found another bulge in another tire. Luckily he noticed the problem before we had a blowout. Just feel fortunate that we didn't join "the club".

RugRat

I have to say the TireCo who manufacturers the Mission Tires was very friendly and immediately offered to send me a new tire. I had noticed some other abnormal things on two of the other tires, so they are going to send me 4 new tires. I know that this may happen again, but I'm willing to give it another shot since new tires would have cost me $450 - $600. Still a club member, but hopefully I won't be renewing my membership next year....lol.

RugRat

Unbelieveable, I received my 4 new tires today. I was honestly expecting them to take at least two weeks and thought I would have to call TireCo again. The interesting things is the tire shipped were FreeStar tires. I wonder if Mission has changed their branding. The tread pattern is the same. Instead of TC-108 they are F-108, but everything else looks the same.

katkens

RugRat said:
Unbelieveable, I received my 4 new tires today. I was honestly expecting them to take at least two weeks and thought I would have to call TireCo again. The interesting things is the tire shipped were FreeStar tires. I wonder if Mission has changed their branding. The tread pattern is the same. Instead of TC-108 they are F-108, but everything else looks the same.
They are the same tire, but they have more than one plant and each plant badges with different name. I had a previous post somewhere with all the brand names TireCo puts out. ---Ken

vangoes

I was having some tire work done on my TV last week so I was discussing trailer tires with the tire guy. I told him that I was considering upgrading to G rated tires from my present E rated tires. He basically said that unless my weight warrants going to G rated that I should not do it. HIs reasoning was that as we all know, "heat is a tires worst enemy" and that as you add ply's to the tire the slower the tire dissipates the heat build up resulting in hotter running tires. Anyone else ever heard of this phenomina?
We also discussed China tires and his response was some are good and some are crap! He also reminded me that there are Michelins and Goodyears that are made in China.

Uncle Rog

Yeah, well, I am still waiting for parts to repair my horn after my last blowout. I still stick with "go long" on tires.........

Forrest Fetherolf

vangoes,

That is a new one on me, more plys will dissipate less heat!!!!!! I would not agree, usually more mass will create more cooling. If your tire guy's statement is true, the 18 wheelers would be on fire. A tire will only build up so much heat, more mass creates more cooling.

Racing engines will dissipate less heat when the cylinders are bored out larger, reducing the engine block and/or cylinder head cooling area. This is especially true with air cooled engines.

katkens

vangoes
You are right about all the tire manufacturers having plants in China. Michelin is the only one that does not sell these tires abroad, only in China. I read this on Modern Tire Dealers web site , pretty dry reading there sometimes, with long articles, but good info sometimes. --Ken

C

Chulinw

UR it took six weeks to get my 5er back on the road after the tire failer in Jan. Had to wait on parts and then the dealer was working on six units at the same time. All had tire problems and some was worse than mine. I still will stick with Michelin Ribs that I had to ppay over $1200.00 for 5 tires.

Forrest Fetherolf

When one of my China Bombs exploded about a month ago, I ordered the parts the next day from Jim Fenner @ Heartland. I had the parts on my door step 17 days later. I thought that was an excessive amount of time, Jim was attending the rally; when I kept bugging him, he commented that the order was rushed and would take longer if a dealer ordered the parts. It took two of us about 5 hours to R&R the parts.

I implemented the "squeaky wheel" routine and it did help compared to some of the long wait stories others have experienced.

ChopperBill

RugRat said:

Those will make excellent flower planters or sand boxes but I wouldn't use 'em as a tire swing unless you don't like kids. ;)

RugRat

ChopperBill - with the 15" rims I would have been limited to the Goodyear Marathons which are mostly made in China too. Since TireCo replaced the tire free, I will have to give them a chance. I got lucky and they didn't damage the trailer. Installed the new tires today. I would agree Michellins are probably the best choice or Goodyears in bigger sizes.