Extra Fuel

nuggett

Just picked up my 3055rl (08) and were towing it with a '07 2500 gmc 4x4 s/b 4 door with the duramax /allison combination. NO ISSUES.(added air bags )
The only problem is the fuel tank on the gmc is only 24 gls or so :( .Has any one replaced this tank with a different one? maybe the 45 gl that transfer/flow offers for this tv.
I'm only a short drive from Chico ,Calif where the transfer/flow company is and was thinking of doing this replacement.
What are you thoughts on this ?

THANKS, NUGGETT

Forrest Fetherolf

nugget,

I installed a combo tool box/fuel tank (60 gal) with automatic transfer valve from Northern Tool on my 06 Chevy 2500HD. I had a problem with the main tank overfilling and fuel leaking out the top of the main tank vent, and when the main tank was continually full for about 100 miles, the fuel gauge would read empty and the low fuel light would turn on. When I turned the ignition key off and on, the fuel gauge would reset and low fuel light would go out for another 100 miles.

This was very annoying. I fixed the vent problem by extending the tank vent with a plastic hose terminating next to the tank filler cap. I installed a Murphy electric fuel solenoid valve between the combo tank and transfer valve, mounted a push-on push-off switch with led indicator light on the dash so I can control the fuel flow. I run the main tank down to 3/4 full and flip the switch to transfer fuel. If the main tank fills, I can shut the fuel flow off.

Forrest

jpmorgan37

I just used a gravity feed into my fuel fill pipe and never had any problem with it leaking. I had a manual shut off valve coming out of the auxillary tank that I could shut off, but I never did.

John

Terry H

Past Texas North Chapter Leader/Moderator
Staff member
I replaced the OE fuel tank on my 03 Chevy Duramax 2500HD with the 45 Gal. Transfer Flow replacement tank. It is a very high quality fuel tank. I can get about 300 - 350 miles per tank when towing based upon 9.5 MPG. I try not to use more than 30 or 35 Gals. before refilling.

kognito

I have a shortbed ford dually which came with a 29 gallon tank

I love the operation of my Transfer Flow combination tank/tool box

I can now go 700 miles per fill up (towing) 1000 miles if not towing

davebennington

I installed a 60 gal. tank from Northern Tool (really a tank built by RDS ind) works very well. I too had a problem with the gravity feed filling the main tank and overflowing I installed a electric pump as well as a electirc shut off valve.
I can travel 900 to 1000 miles before I have to fuel up.

dave

Uncle Rog

nuggett, I had AERO tanks in Corona (800-783-4826) install a 48 gal tank. It replaces the stk 26'er as is great. Diesel in Yermo 2.79, Shoshone / Furnace Creek 3.75 +- , Pahrump 2.99. The longer distance really gives you options......UR

Added a extra fuel tank in my Ford psd it's switchable on the fly, uses the regular gage, it has a toggle switch for what fuel tank your using. It has a 65 gallon capacity it gives me 94 gallons total.

dieselengineer

Charter Member
Added a 60 gal tank that fits into the space under the retrax cover. Fills on both sides. Have a walbro fuel pump with a large water/filter piped into the main tank fill. Clean fuel is just a flip of a switch away while driving down the road.