Heartland could learn from Tiffin

dave10a

I traded my motor home, Tiffin Phaeton, for a Landmark at Camping World. When something fails, like the ballast in my lights, and I could fix it myself because unhooking and suffering the expense to go to the dealer for repair is unrealistic; Heartland refuses to send me a replacement part until I send them the failed part. Tiffin would send me the part and I would return the failed part after I replaced it. Tiffin for expensive items would take my credit card number without charging me in the event I failed to return the old part. I think that is a reasonable way to do business. The dealer said I could only get warranty repair if I drove the trailer to their facility. Also Tiffin took care of items that were out of warranty if it was clear that it was a manufacturing mistake. I some cases Tiffin would honor out of warranty if it was a "grey area." Some people would take advantage of Tiffin's generosity, but Tiffin has survived, not to mention of become a major motor home supplier, for decades doing its best to treat their customers like they should be. Heartland seems like a reputable company, but has a "big corporate attitude" that is not conducive toward customer satisfaction. Customer satisfaction is like good engineering, it doesn't cost any more and has huge rewards. Profit and customer satisfaction go hand in hand......

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I traded my motor home, Tiffin Phaeton, for a Landmark at Camping World. When something fails, like the ballast in my lights, and I could fix it myself because unhooking and suffering the expense to go to the dealer for repair is unrealistic; Heartland refuses to send me a replacement part until I send them the failed part.

This has not been my experience at all. Who refused to do this, the dealer or Heartland Customer Service?

Tiffin would send me the part and I would return the failed part after I replaced it. Tiffin for expensive items would take my credit card number without charging me in the event I failed to return the old part. I think that is a reasonable way to do business. The dealer said I could only get warranty repair if I drove the trailer to their facility. A

Not true, Heartland will authorize other repair facilities to do warranty work. Call Customer Service.

lso Tiffin took care of items that were out of warranty if it was clear that it was a manufacturing mistake. I some cases Tiffin would honor out of warranty if it was a "grey area." Some people would take advantage of Tiffin's generosity, but Tiffin has survived, not to mention of become a major motor home supplier, for decades doing its best to treat their customers like they should be. Heartland seems like a reputable company, but has a "big corporate attitude" that is not conducive toward customer satisfaction. Customer satisfaction is like good engineering, it doesn't cost any more and has huge rewards. Profit and customer satisfaction go hand in hand......

There have been many instance cited here on the forum of "Out of Warrant" issues being taken care of. It is on a case-by-case basis, but it does happen. I doubt Tiffen takes care of "every" out of warranty issue either.

Wasn't trying to be totally negative to you issues, just wan't to be sure the whole picture was out there.

jimtoo

I traded my motor home, Tiffin Phaeton, for a Landmark at Camping World. When something fails, like the ballast in my lights, and I could fix it myself because unhooking and suffering the expense to go to the dealer for repair is unrealistic; Heartland refuses to send me a replacement part until I send them the failed part. Tiffin would send me the part and I would return the failed part after I replaced it. Tiffin for expensive items would take my credit card number without charging me in the event I failed to return the old part. I think that is a reasonable way to do business. The dealer said I could only get warranty repair if I drove the trailer to their facility. Also Tiffin took care of items that were out of warranty if it was clear that it was a manufacturing mistake. I some cases Tiffin would honor out of warranty if it was a "grey area." Some people would take advantage of Tiffin's generosity, but Tiffin has survived, not to mention of become a major motor home supplier, for decades doing its best to treat their customers like they should be. Heartland seems like a reputable company, but has a "big corporate attitude" that is not conducive toward customer satisfaction. Customer satisfaction is like good engineering, it doesn't cost any more and has huge rewards. Profit and customer satisfaction go hand in hand......

Your experience with Tiffin is just the opposite of mine. That is why I now own a Heartland unit.

Jim M

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
I have received several items within warranty to fix myself. Water Pump, Back up Camera, Keyless entry keypad, just to name a few. Not sure if you are talking to your dealer or to HL them self. If you are talking to your dealer then it sounds to me your dealer is not telling you the truth.

branson4020

Icantre Member
I have received several items within warranty to fix myself. Water Pump, Back up Camera, Keyless entry keypad, just to name a few. Not sure if you are talking to your dealer or to HL them self. If you are talking to your dealer then it sounds to me your dealer is not telling you the truth.

I am shocked, shocked to hear that a dealer might not tell you the truth.

JJOren

This sounds clearly like a dealer issue to me. I had the same experience with a dealer on my Elkridge. When I called Heartland Customer Service it was an entirely different story.

As an interesting aside...that particular dealer no longer sells Heartland. Bet there is a reason on that......

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Thats too bad......maybe you can get your old Tiffin back.
We had our converter go out during Xmas week on the road and all RV dealers were closed. Heartland allowed me to replace the converter on my own and refunded my money once I returned the bad converter to them. That sounds fair to me.
I'm betting your issues could be caused by Camping World, they are the worst dealer around in IMHO.

jjriker

We bought our Rushmore last year. The dvd player in the entertainment system didn't work. My husband called Heartland directly, and they sent us a new system. They included a UPS shipping label and we just sent the old one back to them. It was very easy.

danemayer

In January Heartland sent me a couple of fluorescent fixtures to replace the originals in our 2011 Landmark. Customer Service shipped them directly to me at the resort and I installed them myself. Just a phone call. No fuss at all. Not the first time they've done this either.

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
The OP has an awesome rig for which I am sure he paid a sizable sum and has an "issue". Understandably he is upset and I sincerely hope it gets rectified to everyones satisfaction. However, in my experience, Heartland has everything but a "big corporate attitude". Like others have mentioned, Heartland Customer Service has also sent warranty parts directly to me. In one case, I received an unsolicited phone call from a Heartland tech about an issue I had that he read about on this forum. My Big Country has had a few minor problems like all new rigs will have...but I could not have received any better service or consideration than has been offered by the Heartland company. There must be more to this story!

mjatwalker

Retired MD Chapter ******s
Steve, I believe you are right and dosn't seem funny that dave10a has not been back to defend his claims.

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
I work on the "Dark Side" of the industry, at a service center. We don't sell RV's, only fix them. I deal with warranty issues for several companies, as well as extended warranty companies. We deal mostly either with customers that are too far away to take it back to the selling dealer, or our locals have ticked them off. From my perspective, I would rather deal 10 times a day with Heartland than once with most of the others. I have never had an issue that wasn't resolved to either mine or my customer's satisfaction. I'm not saying that HL is perfect, and it does take the proper documentation, but they really try to put the "service" in customer service.
I am sorry for all the issues he's had that have kept him from enjoying his trailer, but I would have to agree that at least half his problem seems to be the dealer.

dave10a

Steve, I believe you are right and doesn't seem funny that dave10a has not been back to defend his claims.

I was not trying to start an argument, but simple state my experience with suggestion for improvement. I am glad some have had their issues resolved to their satisfaction, but that does not give them the right to criticize mine. If Tiffin built 5th wheels I may have give them first consideration, because they have proven to be a great company as proven by their success. Also, I don't consider Heartland a bad organization or would not have bought from them in the first place-----

dave10a

My opinion of Heartland has improved to a point that I now have praise for their service and product. Brian of Heartland called me about my experience and now things are good. Heartland is a company that has high regard for their customers and I am looking forward to a long term relationship.

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
My opinion of Heartland has improved to a point that I now have praise for their service and product. Brian of Heartland called me about my experience and now things are good. Heartland is a company that has high regard for their customers and I am looking forward to a long term relationship.

Dave,

I am glad to hear that your issues are either resolved or in process of being resolved. as a new ( relative ) Heartland owner one of the big selling point was the involvement of the Heartland owners and the company representatives as well as the activity and involvement of the owners on this forum. I lurked on this forum and many other manufactures forums for over a year before I purchased my Cyclone. This forum has more information and I find that most complaints are resolved in one fashion or another with the assistance of the factory or other owners.

My personal opinion of RV dealers - is the same as a car dealer - there are many out there that are looking at volume - but there are some out there that are looking at your next purchase and treat you in such a way that you will continue to purchase from them.