What do you do with your carry pistol(s) when in a nonreciprocating state?

wood207

I have a Florida Concealed Carry permit that will reciprocate in most states. I am heading out full timing in my 3800HD Cyclone toy hauler and wondering what to do with my pistol(s) when going through and staying in states like CA, DC, MA, NY, etc., that will not reciprocate with FL. What do all of the rest of you do?

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Here's a novel about carrying, etc. Trace //heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/15734-What-s-your-favorite-carry-weapon

jbeletti

Before I crossed the IN line into IL, I removed the magazine and ejected the chambered round. I stored the mag in the glove box and the pistol in the console. Probably not 100% compliance with "transporting", but an attempt. I'll try to remember to put the mag into a Ziplock and put that in one of the tool cabinets.

Jim

branson4020

Icantre Member
When properly concealed, who would know. My personnel protection is paramount!

Hmm, that's an interesting thought. In Oregon, where I have a permit, If I'm stopped while driving the first thing I'm asked is "are you carrying any weapons", because my permit shows up on the computer when they check my plate before they ever get out of their cruiser. I wonder if it shows up out of state?

TomSt

Past New Jersey Chapter Leader
Jim,

If you ever return to NJ that storage option will get you into deep trouble (jail). Best is to lock the pistol in truck box and magazine some where else. Never ever in the glove box should officer see magazine with rounds in it he has, I believe, 'probable cause' to search vehicle. That being said I do not believe that he can search your camper as it is considered your home.

tom

RuralPastor

Apart from various state laws (which vary by jurisdiction), case law allows the LEO access to any area accessible by reach to the driver to search for weapons relevant to personal safety. All he has to be able to do is articulate it. Simple. For a lone driver, this would include consoles, seats, glove boxes, headliners, seat pockets -- anywhere the driver could reach (or occupants). Tom is right about a safe protocol for storing in the trunk. With that said, I occasionally asked motorists if they were carrying a weapon. Some volunteered. I never expected the criminals to tell me. I never asked anyone for a CCP. I like when citizens are armed. Load em up. Just know how to use it, and be willing if necessary. I would always tell them, "For the duration of this stop, place your weapon on the dash and keep your hands on the steering wheel. If you move them I will assume you're being hostile and I will act accordingly." This allowed me to see two very important things: gun and hands. Unless they co-mingle I can't be hurt. Never had a problem. Okay, I take that back. But I'm banging away on my computer at home, and they're not. 'Nuff said.

Jim,

If you ever return to NJ that storage option will get you into deep trouble (jail). Best is to lock the pistol in truck box and magazine some where else. Never ever in the glove box should officer see magazine with rounds in it he has, I believe, 'probable cause' to search vehicle. That being said I do not believe that he can search your camper as it is considered your home.

tom

tmcran

In Texas you are to give the LEO your DL and CHL at the same time. In Texas you do not have to have a CHL to carry a concealed hand gun in your car but without CHL can't carry on your person.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Also in Texas, the officer will know that you are a Texas CHL holder because it is "flagged" on your drivers license.

porthole

Retired
Get the 50 State travel book.

In New Jersey it is practically impossible to get a CHL unless you are LEO.

If you don't have a CHL and are transporting a pistol the rules are very strict, and the transport is limited, e.g. between home and a gun shop or range etc.

Do not get caught with your pistol in NYC, on your person, in your truck or your trailer. Illinois is fairly strict too.

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
I'm going to training to get my CHL in MA - I had one back in my youth and let it expire. I was surprised ( not really ) to see that MA does not honor any other state's permitting process and there for no state honors MA. SO I plan on getting an Out of State Permit in UT and FL - with those two states I will cover 33 additional states.

For the states not covered it appears that I would need to get a permit in each state to cover it... I might do that for the NE states just to make local travel easier.

Duane - do you mean to say that If I'm traveling south through NYC there is no legal way for me to transport my Gun?

Here is the map of what those three permits will allow. Blue is Covered - Green is state issued Permits - Red and Black - NO Go.

USA_Carry_Maps_snapshot.jpg

porthole

Retired
Kevin you would be wise to check and follow the laws in NYC and NJ before tranorting.
Especially NYC. I don't believe there is any legal way to transport a pistol through NYC without a NYC issued or recognized permit.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
When traveling, I always remove the magazine and use a cable lock and put the gun in the case. It's usually carried in the rig but now it'll be in the truck under the back seat. Cased & locked. I believe that's the legal method in at least the lower 48 states. As an IL resident I have an F.O.I.D. card.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator

The wikipedia has a couple of sections regarding non resident travel through the state and the Federal Protection Law. The only issue might be the magazine size. I guess a 16 round mag is a no no.:confused:
If I were traveling through, I would make sure my case is locked and either in the trailer or the truck tool box. Then drive cautiously...:angel:

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
Wow - Now I knew that NY was a tough state but I did not realize how tough it really was.

The Federal Law as Ray points out does help - but I found the following cometary regarding that protection in NY.

The best way to travel through NY or any state that has restriction is to carry a copy of Title 18-Part 1-Chapter 44 926A of the federal code with you. Some law enforcement may not know the law. DO keep the firearm in a locked box. Keep ammo in another locked box. No ammo in Magazines or speed loaders in the trunk or if no trunk as far back in the vehicle as possible in a locked box. By NY Law if you are traveling across the state and can legally possess the firearm where you started and where you are going you can transport it as above. But if you stop in NY and spend the night in a motel/hotel/camp ground etc you are in violation of NY law and can be arrested if found with a firearm. Stopping for gas and food would most likely be OK but this is not a given in NY.

So I think that a hard case may not qualify under this interpretation. two separate Lock Boxes are required - and if I'm reading this correctly - the author is recommending that all ammo be loose and not in the Mags - I wonder if this is to avoid the 10 round law? I wound not think that just because it is unloaded that it would be ignored?

I guess I will have to think of how I will travel in NY and properly secure my guns. I was thinking of two lock boxes and a Gun Safe in the Rig to store them during transport - Fortunately for me my travels NEVER take me through NYC, as I will always avoid that location like the plague!

Thank Duane for giving us the heads up.

Kevin

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Keep in mind a Law Enforcement Officer (LEO) does not have a right to search your vehicle without Probable Cause and your permission and/or a search warrant. If the LEO does search without that then any evidence or contraband that is found is subject to be thrown out by the court thereby not being able to be used against you. Also if you give permission to search that permission can be withdrawn at anytime. However, there are exceptions to this rule. A warrantless search would normally be one that is done using Probable Cause also, such as smelling alcohol or Marijuana would give PC for the search. Also a search incidental to the arrest or an inventory of a vehicle that is being towed is an exception. Any contraband found during the inventory could be used in court. So lets say you are stopped for a defective taillight (light burnt out). You could be arrested for that traffic offense, your vehicle towed and during the towing the LEO would have to inventory the vehicle and if contraband (an illegally carried firearm) is found you could have an additional charge filed.
Remember, Knowledge is Power.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
So, let's compile what we've learned so far. An LEO could pull you over and make you a criminal for a defective tail light. That gives him authority to search the vehicle. He finds your locked and secured weapon (does he force the lock?) and now you're Public Enemy #1. What to do, what to do? How about those of use from states that allow their citizens to carry avoid states that don't. Example: I'm from Michigan, with Michigan plates on the vehicle. Driving through NY or CA, as an example, the LEO's know that Michigan is a right-to-carry state. That makes me potential easy pickings for any minor infraction to net them some quick revenue and bigger charges, so they pull me over for a burnt marker lamp. Maybe they'll start requiring interstate passports.

If they don't reciprocate, I won't visitate. Too many other places to go and things to see in states that don't have their heads up their tailpipes.