linoleum tear

Garry & Bev

travel bug
When entering our brother in-law's 2008 3055RL Bighorn which had been put away for the winter, we found a large v-shaped linoleum tear extending from the bottom step to the carpet under the slide by the fridge. Has anyone else encountered this problem? There was no evidence of a tear when put in to storage.
It appears that the linoleum had never been glued down to the floor. Not sure though whether this would have contributed to the problem.
What would cause the linoleum to tear when the trailer wasn't even in use at the time?:confused:
Bev & Garry

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Bev & Garry, were you able to take any pictures? The reasoning behind not gluing the flooring is due to expansion or contraction during cold or warm weather situations. I can't say if this was the cause of your specific situation though.

brianharrison

There are cases of linoleum splitting in cold weather storage. Usually it is due to extreme linoleum contraction as the temp drops to -25 to -35C. Is this the first year it has been in storage in Alberta? If not, then I am surprised it has not split before; unless there was a knick or cut from last years usage and that started the linoleum split.

It is difficult to replace the linoleum as it is laid down before walls or fixtures are installed. I have seen others install engineered laminate over the linoleum, finishing the edges with quarter round or other edging.

Hope this helps.

Take care,
Brian

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Typically, linoleum sheet is only edge glued so it can expand/contract. If it splits out in the "field", then it's lost its plasticizers and dried out. Temperature extremes will exacerbate it. If there was a hidden cut from the installation, that will propagate, as well. I found one under the kitchen "island" left by the installer that I'm keeping an eye on. The stuff they put in trailers is probably not high-end material to begin with. If our trailer floor starts to go, I think I'll go with self-stick tiles, after sealing and prepping the subfloor. Easier to replace a tile if damage occurs.

GOTTOYS

This is a very common occurance in cold climates and we will be seeing a lot of these posts as the season gets started. The linoleum is loose layed and stapled around the edge when the unit is built. All the walls and cabinets are set in place on top of it. No glue. As the weather changes the floor and linoleum expand and contract at different rates. Eventually the linoleum will get stretched and either have a bubble or it will split. This has happened to me in 3 different trailers. All different brands. Think of going from 30 below zero to 100 degrees above in one year and how it might affect things. The easiest solution I've found is to trim around the damaged goods with a knife all around the perimeter and remove the old sheet. Use it as a pattern and cutout your new sheet. Lay it in place without glue as no glue will stick in extreme cold, nor will self stick tiles. Hold the edges down with a base shoe or 1/4 round trim. It will be as good as new. You can also use a laminate floor in the same manner which I have done as well. The whole project can be done in just a few hours....Don

JohnDar

I'm curious. How do you get something like a kitchen slide to ride up and over the laminate without tearing up the edge? Laminate flooring material I've seen is usually 3/8" thick. When I use self-stick tiles (inside my house), I first put down a sealer, then trowel on vinyl tile adhesive. Then set the self-sticks on that. Takes a heat gun to get them up again.

beardedone

Beardedone
Another reason the lino tears badly in some units like our Augusta is the kitchen island. It is in the middle of the floor and changes the dynamics of expansion and contraction. I think that if there was some sort of pressure release around anything fastened to the middle of the floor that we would see less of this. I have owned five trailers and this one is the first that I have experienced this in.

JohnDar

Another reason the lino tears badly in some units like our Augusta is the kitchen island. It is in the middle of the floor and changes the dynamics of expansion and contraction. I think that if there was some sort of pressure release around anything fastened to the middle of the floor that we would see less of this. I have owned five trailers and this one is the first that I have experienced this in.

About all that would entail is cutting the lino out from under the counter to about 1/4" and putting on a shoe molding to cover the gap.

Garry & Bev

travel bug
Thank you for all your replies. Since I posted, friends of ours have also discovered similar linoleum tearing in their Sundance which is stored under cover outside in Southern Alberta. So this is two Heartland units with in 10 miles of each other that are having issues and both were purchased in the same year. We also know of this happening to a Landmark last year. Is it a problem of poor quality material combined with the extreme cold? This is 3 trailers we know of this has happened to, so Heartland may need to rethink the type of linoleum put in trailers being sent North. The next question would be is there any warranty coverage for such a thing and what to replace it with?I would send a picture but for some reason my attachment doesn't want to attach.

GOTTOYS

Thank you for all your replies. Since I posted, friends of ours have also discovered similar linoleum tearing in their Sundance which is stored under cover outside in Southern Alberta. So this is two Heartland units with in 10 miles of each other that are having issues and both were purchased in the same year. We also know of this happening to a Landmark last year. Is it a problem of poor quality material combined with the extreme cold? This is 3 trailers we know of this has happened to, so Heartland may need to rethink the type of linoleum put in trailers being sent North. The next question would be is there any warranty coverage for such a thing and what to replace it with?I would send a picture but for some reason my attachment doesn't want to attach.
As I mentioned in my other post this is not a problem that is particular to any one brand. If you were to check with any other brand dealer you will find this happens to any and all makes when exposed to extreme cold. It was my understanding that the Beaufloor product now being used in the Heartland units is supposed to help eliminate this problem. I would contact heartland Customer Service and see if they can help...Don