First use of fresh water tank and water pump.

I have a 2011 M-22 travel trailer. Took delivery 2 weeks ago and the shakedown cruise was last weekend. We tested all components except the fresh water tank and the water pump. Nice weather today so I though I would put a few gallons in thru the gravity feed inlet and make sure I had water flowing when called for. I shold note that at delivery and during the walk thru, the unit was connected to the dealer's shore power and city water line. The water pump and the fresh water tank operation were discussed, but not demonstrated; even if they had been I'm still not sure how I would have known that any resulting faucet flow would have been from the tank / water pump vice normal pressure from the connected city line. Currently, the trailer is connected to electrical shore power only. The procedure I followed was to place my garden hose in the gravity feed potable water inlet. After a few seconds I could hear water falling on the driveway. The fresh water drain cock was open. I closed this valve and continued to fill the tank until the monitor read 1/3rd full on the display. At this point, I turned on the water pump switch, could clearly hear the pump running, and turned on the kitchen sink cold water faucet. There was no response to this action, no dribbles, no air escaping, no sound from the faucet itself. Tried the hot water faucet, same result. Tried the bathroom sink faucets, same result. Tried the exterior shower, both faucets. Nothing there either. Got concerned about burning out the pump, so shut it off and began to brainstorm and troubleshoot. Located the other 3 low point drain valves on the system and opened them to clear any residual liquid. Two of the valves gave up some of the residual pink potable antifreeze solution. Closed the valves again and ran the pump for at least 3 minutes. Again, no response at any of the line outlets. I'm obviously still in my warranty period, but if there is something I'm missing before discussing with the dealer, I'm open to suggestions. Access to the pump sounds like it must be under the queen bed, perhaps on the left hand side if you are looking down at the bed. Laying underneath the camper while the pump was running almost made it sound like it was IN the fresh water tank proper, but I doubt if that is the case. I have to return to the dealer to pick up my permanent tags. That is planned for tomorrow and I'll raise this concern at that time. I would be greatful for any suggestions prior to meeting with my POC at the dealer. Thank you in advance.
Scott

Rrloren

Could be that the valve at the pump may be shutoff. Should be two valves at the pump, one to a hose that allows you to put in antifreeze jug when you winterize and another between the pump and tank. Close the first and open the second. Hope that helps.

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
I was thinking the same thing - I would check the winterizing bypass valve in the UDC.

Kevin

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Probably what Richard stated above. If not, check to make sure the hoses are not reversed. I was camping in Colorado and the guy next to me had that happen on his new (sob) trailer and we tried everything, except noticing the hoses were reversed. Good luck and post your results.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
May consider adding more water to your fresh tank. I know when ours gets down to 1/3, we have some 'spitting' at the faucets. You also stated you turned on the hot water, so water may have begun to flow and fill the water heater before delivering hot water.

Good luck!

Kevin,
I had to Google 'UDC' to follow your suggestion. (Shows how new I am to the world of RVing); in any event, I learned that 'UDC' stands for Universal Docking Station. The Heartland website has a nice training video on UDCs if you happen to own a luxury 5th Wheel, at least that is how it is described on the video. If there is some kind of central bypass valve control placement on the Edge, I've not found it yet. I will check behind and / or underneath some of the panels that appear to be fastened down with removeable screws. I'll keep you posted.
Thanks
Scott

pegmikef

You're right. If the M22 is like the M21, then the pump is at the front left of the bed in the storage compartment. The lid is screwed on. To access it just lift the compartment lid then unscrew the four screws.

Thanks! I'll do some exploratory surgery in the next few days to locate the pump and the associated bypass valve configurations. While I appreciate my POC at the dealer and the requisite walk thru at delivery, more and more I'm beginning to suspect that this particular individual was not as prepared as he should have been. This in and of itself is not something I will dwell on.........I'm MUCH more inclined to start planning my next camping trip!!!!!

jbeletti

Scott,

Find and follow the winterizing line and you will find it leads to a valve. That valve is an input selector for the pump. It selects between the fresh water tank and the winterizing line.

Sorry but I am unfamiliar with your product and can't direct you to where the line and valve is located.

Jim

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
Hey Scott, If I'm following your post correctly you have water in the tank, the pump is running and you have no water?

Last spring I had the same symptoms. I cleaned the filter on the side of my pump, filled the pump with water and it started pumping. I don't know if the pump is supposed to be self priming but I had the same situation this fall when I winterized and the same procedure fixed it again.

BTW Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new Edge

Problem solved! The incoming valve (from the tank to the pump) had been closed for a prior winterizing process and was not reversed before we took delivery. I found the pump, opened the incoming valve while ensuring the winterizing line valve remained closed, added some water to the tank, hit the switch, opened some faucets, and water flowed as required. Thanks to everyone who assisted!

Chumbly

Kinda off the topic a bit, but does anybody know where to get a "decent" owner's manual for these trailers?

TeJay

Good question chumbly,
They don't make one. Heartland will make and give you a generic one. That booklet should have been included with all your warranty booklets. You have two places to get information and both of them are on this forum. At the top of this page you'll, "Tools". Click on that and you'll see a location for Heartland manuals. That will give you access to some of the specific manuals for things in your unit. As you'll see they are manuals from the different manufacturers. This forum is the other place to get information and as you know it is invaluable. You can also get information from the net. I've gotten several manuals and service info from the net.
TeJay

evolvingpowercat

I just purchased a 2011 Edge M21 and had to tweak my dry camping water system to get things up to snuff. The water was pulsing high/low pressure.

Here are the things that anyone handy can do to fix this up:

1. There is a filter screen on the inlet side of the water pump. Take the clear plastic filter cap off and clean it. Mine was full of plastic bits.

2. The inlet water fitting on the pump filter was not even hand tight and was sucking a little air in when pump was running, Hand tighten and then go another 1/8 turn with wrench. Don't over tighten ! ! !

After these steps, the pulsing was mostly eliminated except for the kitchen sink faucet farthest from the pump.

3. There is a pressure switch adjustment screw on the SHURflow demand water pump, adjusted with kitchen sink faucet running until pulsing stopped.

4. While at it, make sure the outlet fitting is tight, and that the water tank inlet valve is fully open and the winterization valve is fully shut.

A side benefit to this little tune up is that the pump is much quieter with the inlet side not sucking in a little air and the demand pump pressure switch properly adjusted.