Subwoofer

dave10a

I just purchase a Landmark San Antonio and each day I am learning something new about the rig. Today I discovered that the audio is tiny and not worth listening to music because there is no sub-woofer effect to cover the low frequencies. Either the sub-woofer is missing or it is not connected. Could someone who owns a Landmark or hopefully someone in the factory explain what I have. I would hope it is disconnected because I would expect a top of the line 5th wheel would have a audio system that performs as well as my Ford truck.

Thanks

danemayer

Our 2011 Rushmore definitely has a subwoofer. Our DVD/Surround sound is a Panasonic but from other recent posts, I'm guessing you have something else with different operation and different connectors. I had to do some setup because I didn't like the way it sounded from the factory. I don't remember the details, but I did have to look at the manual to see how to adjust the EQ.

The built-in radio and built-in DVD automatically use the surround sound. Getting the TV and the Directv receiver to drive the surround sound took more effort and some additional cables.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Our subwoofer is behind the fireplace which is not very effective. We just went ahead and added another one in the cabinet beside the fireplace and wired it to the blue ray home entertainment system that we installed. It doesn't work the the Jensen unit but that's ok.

dave10a

Welp, I was hoping that I don't need to disassemble the cabinetry to find a sub-woofer that may or may not be there. I was hoping the factory would chime in on this thread. I will call them tomorrow to get their comment directly. As I recall from my audio days in my past life time, low frequencies are relatively non-directional and placement of a sub-woofer, especially a powered sub-woofer, is not critical. However, if it is behind my fireplace it would be an obstruction and not a good place to be. A better place would be in the cabinet next to the Genesis 3.0 that produces the signal and would have a direct path to my ears. A powered sub-woofer would be the best situation which would allow for proper volumeadjustment using a SPL meter . The Genesis 3.0 apparently has a provision for a sub woofer, but I not sure if it is for a powered or non-power unit.
Why do I have all these question, all I want to do is enjoy my retirement in peace...... :)

jbeletti

Hi Dave,

The factory won't see your post in this sub-forum. Please make the call in the morning.

Genesis Technology does make a subwoofer. In fact, I think the GT-3.0 supports 2 of them. They are powered from the GT-3.0 unit I believe.

Jim

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
I have had several email conversations with Bob Feilds from Geneisis. He monitors this forum.

First, I have the same tinny sound from both my 3.0 and the 2.0 system. In fact the 2.0 reminds me of an old transistor radio.

Second, I have traced all my speaker wires to make sure that the grounds were not crossed at Bob's suggestion. He did say that the Genesis system should have their 5" speakers, not the ones that come with the coach.

Third, I did not get a subwoofer with my unit either although I added one.It did not help much.

I have decided to remove the system and get a mid price home system.

I did find the 3.0 on Crutchfeild.com here

This thread might be of some interest to you too.

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/27912-New-3685RL-Entertainment-System/page4

dave10a

I have had several email conversations with Bob Feilds from Geneisis. He monitors this forum.

First, I have the same tinny sound from both my 3.0 and the 2.0 system. In fact the 2.0 reminds me of an old transistor radio.

Second, I have traced all my speaker wires to make sure that the grounds were not crossed at Bob's suggestion. He did say that the Genesis system should have their 5" speakers, not the ones that come with the coach.

Third, I did not get a sub woofer with my unit either although I added one.It did not help much.

I have decided to remove the system and get a mid price home system.

I did find the 3.0 on Crutchfeild.com here

This thread might be of some interest to you too.

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/27912-New-3685RL-Entertainment-System/page4

I talked to Heartland and they do not provide a sub woofer and rely in the Genesis internal antenna for radio and weather reception. I have also received requests from Mr Fields to discuss my situation via email or personal phone calls. I refuse to discuss anything of public nature with him other than this forum so ALL can learn what he or Hartland have to say. After all secrets don't to us any good. You have elected to replace the Genesis with an inexpensive unit and I am tempted to do the same. I spent a lot of money for something that should work and I intend to make it do so because I doubt Heartland would give me my money back.
I like the idea of not having an external antenna because it would not rip up my storage cover or put penetrations in the roof or body. I will implement an internal antenna that should perform as well as any external antenna. I do like to get NOAA weather alerts since I am in high risk weather areas. As far a the sub woofer is concerned I will find one and set it up using my handy dandy Radio Shack SPL meter, and make sure the other 6 speakers are phased properly- hopefully the Heartland installed speakers will do the job. This unit is probably a re-branded re-branded generic Asian unit that is supporting off shore jobs ;-)
My unit does have a problem that my TV Digital Dolby is erratic while PCM works fine. Maybe I can get some warranty consideration from that. It smells like a firm ware problem because PCM uses the same cable and there is apparently no capability for any firmware updates like may TV and DVD have available. This could be a problem while reading any future new DVD encryptions headers.

danemayer

I refuse to discuss anything of public nature with him other than this forum so ALL can learn what he or Hartland have to say.

Or you could just report what you find.

dave10a

I was reviewing my order and sales information because I wondering why I did not order a sub woofer when purchasing the trailer and found that Heartland claims in its sales procures that the Landmark has a "full surround" sound system and there is no mention of a sub woofer in the options list. To me a full surround sound system is a 5.1 Dolby, but I suppose Heartland does not agree with Dolby's definition of surround sound. I very disappointed in Hartland's advertising and misleading documentation--- especially after purchasing their flag ship trailer. At least Ford motor supply me with a very good radio and audio system with my truck and I got exactly what I thought I would get.

TeJay

dave10a,
I agree with your post about keeping the comments public. I believe HL does try hard and much of what they do is good. They also seem to support their products and this forum is an integral part of that support. We searched for 18 months before we bought. One of the items we wanted was a four season unit. I'm not talking about ice fishing in Alaska but a unit that would protect the pipes in the mid 20's for a few hours or nights. The 24-RBS we bought is advertised as a 4-seasons unit. A factory rep told me over the phone that that term is used rather loosely and they do not guarantee the units will not freeze. So much for truth in advertising. I guess part of the blame is ours but I also believe that once the salesman realized what we wanted or expected he could have offered to either have the factory wrap the pipes with heat tape during construction and install heat pads on the storage tanks or offer to do it when the unit was delivered to the dealer. None of that stuff was offered or even discussed. We talked 4-season camping and were lead to believe that the unit would do just that. We also specified radial tires and didn't get them.
Let the buyer beware
TeJay

BobFields

Forgive me if I am wrong, but the PM function of this and other forums provide an important service as not all communications need to be public. dave10a or anyone else can feel free to post any communication I have sent to them in its entirety. And alas, many times it is easier to actually communicate by voice, so I fail to see how this is being secretive or being less than helpful.

That said, I will restate that NONE of our entertainment systems have an "internal" antenna. They all have an automotive type antenna connection on the back. If you are having poor reception and you believe there is an internal antenna then I would say you MUST remove your unit and see if an antenna is connected. Maybe internal means internal of the RV. If you are uncomfortable removing your unit then you must take it to your dealer.

Also, if your system sounds tinny, you can try increasing the bass through the audio setup. If you are unable to obtain the bass level you would like and your system only has 3" speakers and no sub woofer, I would suggest adding a subwoofer first (http://www.concertone.com/box4.html). I am HAPPY to offer a 25% discount on our subwoofers to members of this forum. The GT3 has TWO subwoofer outputs, but one should be sufficent.