What would you do if....

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I was reading the threads here in the forum and with all of the people traveling I had a thought.

Now I don't want to be morbid, but this is a what if....

As we travel we are a long way away from where our family resides and the doctors that we have our yearly physicals. What if I died. How do we get back to our family which is just north of Dallas. Being a navy veteran I plan to use the National Veteran's cemetery of Dallas/Fort Worth. Being a Veteran both my wife and I can be buried togeather there.

Ok now if I am in Maine and I croak, how do I get there? Is there a service that we can use or purchase to get me back to Dallas. DW would not be able to get the RV back to Dallas. Probably would have to store it some where but again how would she get it moved.

Do any of you have any plans for such a situation? If so what are they. Another thing, I hope all of you have valid wills. That could be a real problem.

What do you say?

BC

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Ok - that's an awful thought but does happen. We have a friend who was in another state teaching safety to a group of firemen when he just dropped dead. The firemen could revive him. The funeral home in that area worked with a local funeral home in our town to get his body back to TN. There was a transportation cost but his widow didn't have to worry about how and when to transport him.

JJOren

TXBobcat:

Been down this road in a number of different circumstances!! The reality is that state laws very on what can be done with cadavers. A lot will depend on what state you are in when you bite the big one...LOL

Rule of thumb!!!...do not attempt this alone! Mortuary's are well versed in the laws for their particular state. Typically, they work very well with the folks in the home location to transfer cadavers within the legal limits of why is allowed. In some states, they MUST be driven out. In others they can be flown and only with the proper paper work...etc etc etc. Your surviving family can give them the name of the home funeral home and everything will just fly from there.

Of course, you will pay for the service. If that is a consideration, cremation is an option. Then you can go home in a suitcase with no problem. Definitely cheaper than transporting a cadaver half way across the US!!

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Some of that I already considered. A Mortuary will help because that is where you will be until you can be transported. I have no idea what the cost might be, but is there a service that will take care of this for you.

I am going to post this on the Escapees forum also because they may have a service to handle all of the things needed.

Ohhhh.. I really cringe at the word cadaver. I don't want to be a cadaver. Feel like a frog in biology class. Uck. I like Body... I told my DW to get a casket with wheels on it and just keep traveling.

BC

drzr

I am a licensed funeral director and embalmer in the state of Texas and as previously stated a local funeral home in the place of death can handle ALL the necessary arrangements to have the remains returned to desired location.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Bob, you'll be interested to know that a representative of Sky Med will at our rally in Spring in April. I read in their FAQ on their website and here is their policy on remains transportation:

What physical remains services does SkyMed pay for?

Ground transportation to remote areas is not covered by SkyMed However, SkyMed pays the following expenses when physical remains return is required: 1) commercial air transport of remains, 2) airfare for spouse or companion, 3) return of stranded vehicle or RV

I am not an employee of Sky Med, nor am I a member currently, subject to change.

Anyone not coming to the rally will be missing out on this seminar.

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Some of that I already considered. A Mortuary will help because that is where you will be until you can be transported. I have no idea what the cost might be, but is there a service that will take care of this for you.

I am going to post this on the Escapees forum also because they may have a service to handle all of the things needed.

Ohhhh.. I really cringe at the word cadaver. I don't want to be a cadaver. Feel like a frog in biology class. Uck. I like Body... I told my DW to get a casket with wheels on it and just keep traveling.

BC

I was going to suggest that Bob. In fact I think I remember a thread about this maybe a year or so ago. Either way, I wonder if their CARE program has something for this.

GOTTOYS

My plans are to be cremated wherever I happen to pass on. I can then be shipped home by whatever means are available. I always wanted to go around the World. I'm thinking UPS could handle that for me first, then send me home to be spread over a lake...We all gotta go sometime, why make such a big deal out of it....Don

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Hubby just reminded me that we carry a copy of our Living Will and the Medical Power of Attorney papers in the camper all the time. Also both of our sons have have copies as well as our regular Will.

phix

I have thought of this as well. If something happened to my DH, I could not get the RV home either. We just got something in the mail from Good Sams called Emergency Service. This would get your spouse, you, and the RV home if there is a sickness. I do not know if it would do anything if there was a death. I will ask before I purchase it.

TedS

We've been taking a class on financial future, organizing records, advance directives, estate planning. Consider a Medical Durable Power of Attorney as to who can speak for you in the event of not quite dead, but unable to express medical wishes. Carry a card or paper in your purse or wallet or rv naming the doctor or hospital who has your information and medical directives for emergency responder reference.

Stuff happens, we are learning. This post adds another wrinkle.

danemayer

Bob,

We have the Good Sam's Emergency Assistance + coverage. If I'm unable to drive, they'll pay to fly us both home and hire a pro to drive the RV home. In case of death, they'll arrange and pay for transporting my body. I think they'll pay if spouse needs evacuation. If something happens and we need emergency evacuation for medical treatment, they'll arrange and pay for that. There's more. I'm more impressed when they say they'll pay, than when they say they'll coordinate. I've attached the document detailing the coverages provided.

We also carry an ICE Bag with Advance Directives and Medical Power of Attorney documents as well as medical histories and a few basics that would come in handy if admitted to a hospital.

Attachments

• GoodSamClub EA Med Assist Coverage.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 19

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I tell the wife that she only needs two things if I croak away from home. A phone to call the insurance man and a dumpster to put me in. Make Soylent Green outta me, if you like.

krhyde

Kentucky Chapter Leaders-retired
Hubby just reminded me that we carry a copy of our Living Will and the Medical Power of Attorney papers in the camper all the time. Also both of our sons have have copies as well as our regular Will.

I assume that after we meet this weekend in Waynesville, that you will want to change your will to include your new friends, Ken and Faye???

krhyde

I tell the wife that she only needs two things if I croak away from home. A phone to call the insurance man and a dumpster to put me in. Make Soylent Green outta me, if you like.
John, Can I have your truck??

krhyde

Obviously some of you are not taking this thread seriously enough. The death of a loved one is a very serious matter. So please treat it with respect. So I say again; John, can I have your truck? And Nathan, remember me in your will, friend. Ken

Speedy

My plans are to be cremated wherever I happen to pass on. I can then be shipped home by whatever means are available. I always wanted to go around the World. I'm thinking UPS could handle that for me first, then send me home to be spread over a lake...We all gotta go sometime, why make such a big deal out of it....Don

Don,

UPS nor FedEx will transport human remains in any form. Only the US Postal Service handles cremated remains and it's risky. A friend of mine's aunt died suddenly in Florida, the furneral home made all the arrangements to ship her home to Minnesota. Since you can not take the remains on a aircraft as carry-on and FedEX / UPS do not accept remains the USPS was used. Problem was USPS lost the remains for a week, so she was actually late for her own furneral/wake.