Took a cruise and it made me want an RV vacation

Peteandsharon

Sharon and I just came back from a very nice 8 day cruise in the Carribean. It was 8 days of 80 degrees, sun and the islands. We had a great time and it was very much worth the rather expensive price tag. The funny thing about it is that when we came back, the last thing I would have wanted to do was to plan another cruise. After 8 days I had had my fill. No real desire to run out and do it again soon. No real feeling that I needed more time. I was good to go. This is completely different from any RV vacation we have ever taken. I always feel that I needed more time. I always feel like turning around and going out again. I never feel that it was enough.

I guess one of the issues that I had with the cruise was feeling a little trapped. Dinner each night at 7:30. Formal dress two of those nights. Having to change for dinner in all cases. There is certainly something to be said for the elegance and ambience of the cruise ship but you will never beat the freedom and relaxation of an RV vacation. Eating where and when you want. Going where you want without having to tip someone for it. Now that's a vacation. I guess it's just in the blood.

Birchwood

We live in Florida for 6 months and reside at our RV golf resort 30 minutes from the cruise ship terminal at Cape Canaveral.
Have talked about a cruise many times and have even won a free cruise and decided not to use it.
Our daughter takes many cruises and would love us to join her but still not interested.We used to vacation in the Carribean
for many years before retirement so as you say why would we want to be trapped on a boat for a week.We have never taken a cruise
so maybe we will save it for later in life when RVing is over.

PeternLiane

We are land locked. We like to stand on the shore and look out to sea. But we have absolutely no desire to go on a cruise. We know some people who live to go on cruises. They can have it.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
We took an 8-day Western Caribbean cruise (RCL) for our 30th anniversary and thoroughly enjoyed it. I would do it again, with a different itinerary. We skipped the formal dinner nights and ate in the non-formal buffet dining room. Food there was also excellent. We talk about maybe doing an Alaska cruise for our 40th, next year. Can't say I felt trapped during our cruise since we had a balcony suite and the boat docked almost every day at some place worth exploring.

olcoon

My wife can't understand me. She loves going to FL with the girls every year. They get a condo right on the beach & she can sit for hours on the beach watching the ocean. To me, it's pretty to see, but not that that big of a deal. I think she'd like to go on a cruise at least once & I've told her we (at least me) would enjoy it better to fly down there & stay for a while & maybe do some island hopping. My problem is that after 4 years in the Navy, living on the ocean, it's OK, for me it's not that big of a deal.

Willym

We've done a few cruises and I've told my wife "no more" (we'll see how long I can hold out!). I do enjoy the dining in the dining room, but I eat far too much (breakfast, lunch, tea and dinner!). I have to get my money's worth it seems.
I also find that once you visited one caribbean island, the others all look much the same, and sell the same trinkets, and junk that you end up throwing away in few years. I much prefer the freedom of visiting places in the RV. In the next few years we hope to go around Europe in a rented motorhome for that reason.

DougS

Doug S
We have a cruise the last couple of days in April into May for 7 days on RC's biggest ship with friends. This cruise will delay our yearly RV trip. We both would probably rather be out in RV, but I guess being waited on hand and foot for a week is a good thing.

jbeletti

I like both. I certainly RV "a lot", but it is nice to visit other parts of the world that may be difficult to RV in. We do not favor ships/lines that are more formal. We're okay with dressing up once maybe, but not every night. Love both!

Jim

jbeletti

We go NCL. Love their laid back "Freestyle" mode of travel.

Same here Gus. Done 3 on NCL. Loved our Hawaii cruise on NCL but will not select another American crewed ship. I could really tell the difference between that and an Internationally crewed ship. Hate to sound un-American, but I guess you have to experience both to know the difference in service levels and attitudes.

Jim

Peteandsharon

John and Darlene,

Sounds like we may have been on the same itinerary. We were on the Navigator of the Seas stopping at San Juan, St. Marteen, St. Kitts and Labadee, Haiti. We also had the balcony which was very nice. Next year is our 30th anniversary and we are also looking at Alaska land/sea cruises. We have friends who cruise almost every year. They have been in the Carribean, Hawaii. Europe and Alaska among other places. The only place they said they would go back to in a hearbeat was Alaska.

So.... it definitely has it's upside and it is enticing. But...... it's hard to beat the freedom that the RV gives.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Pete,
We cruised on the Enchantment of the Seas, before they stretched it. Been to St.Maarten several times to our timeshare on the beach in Phillipsburg. Got another on Kauai in Princeville that we like. Unfortunately air fares and travel got crazy and routes to St.Maarten usually involve a looong layover in San Juan. Used to fly one stop from Detroit via New York then in. So we trade them for stateside destinations that we can drive the SUV to. We'd like to get back to Europe one more time, as well.

The BH gets plenty of use over the summer, so it doesn't feel neglected. From early May to late September, we're in it more than we're at home. I need to sell my lawn mower cuz I haven't used it in a couple of years. I had to hire someone to cut the grass since we weren't home enough to keep up with it.

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
We have been on two cruises and enjoyed them both.

I really want to go on the Disney cruise line some day. Like everything else Disney, they are a little pricey though.