181 Table Bed Fit Problems

Veets

Just picked up my 181 and was disappointed when I tried to break down the table and set up the second bed. It doesn't fit! There are two clips that attach the table to the camper wall and when you drop the table down to make the bed these clips prevent the table from fitting into the seat frame. I'm afraid if I force it the clips will puncture the wall. Anyone else have this problem? Anyone have a solution?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Veets, welcome to the forum.
I moved and renamed your post. I moved it to the MPG General Discussion area.
You should get some help here from other MPG owners.

Peace
Dave

marc515

Had the exact problem, and here's our solution:

Quich fix- Either turn it upside down, or turn the table around so the clips are facing towards the bed.

Long term fix: 1. We called Heartland and they sent us a second leg (at no cost), then you can take the clips off. With 2 legs you can use it outside if you need to.

Alternate solution: Install a single pedestal base and leg. Friend of ours did that and looks good.

Veets

:D Thanks Marc, I'll give Heartland a call. My popup had a table similar to the one you described (two legs) and that would be a positive solution.

kb0zke

The 181 table has been cussed and discussed on this forum for quite some time. We bought ours in December of 2010, and it had the two-legged table. There is a gap (6" or so) between the table and the wall when it is set up. Some owners didn't like that, so Heartland went to the clips. They got rid of the gap and one leg under the table. Then owners ran into the problem you have, so the factory is sending the second let to those who request it. Someone there is probably complaining that "You just can't win!"

My suggestion would involve a redesign of the whole area. I'd mount an L-bracket on the rear wall with a small shelf attached, just the width of the gap, with the bottom of the bracket sticking out an inch or so beyond the shelf. When the table is up (being used as a table) the rear end would rest on the bracket and the front end would be supported by the single folding leg. For safety a couple of pins could drop through holes in the table and the bracket. When the table is down (used as a bed) it would be supported by the existing rails (leg folded). The shelf could be used for a tissue box, glasses, etc.

bigTdrop

David, your fix is exactly what I did shortly after buying our 181 in 2010. The L bracket works great and no more annoying gap between the table and wall. Shoot...I've since even removed the other leg...

marc515

David, your fix is exactly what I did shortly after buying our 181 in 2010. The L bracket works great and no more annoying gap between the table and wall. Shoot...I've since even removed the other leg...

BigTdrop,.....Could you please post a couple of pictures of what you did? Thank you!

PapaMikey

I noticed this blurb awhile back, so I thought that I would check our table. I took the table out and set it down on the two supports, placed the cushions down and everything appears to be alright with ours. I don't think that I would lie down on it for a nights sleep, but for the grandkids, it should be perfect.