Toilet Bowl not holding water

busted2341

We just picked up our "11 BC 3595RE after some warranty items that were taken care of. Our first trip out and now the toilett will not hold water. This had not been a problem prior to this trip. Any ideas on fixing this. I have 1 1/2 months for warranty but I don't want to take it back just for that. :confused:

GOTTOYS

Re: Toilett Bowl not holding water

Shouldn't need to return to the dealer just to fix or replace the seal. If it's a Dometic 310, just as it says in their manual, first drain the toilet bowl, then press down all the around the rubber seal in the bottom of the bowl with your fingers. Finally pour a pan of very hot water into the bowl and let sit until it cools off. This should re-seat the seal. If this doesn't work, you can remove and replace the seal in just a few minutes without any tools and without having to take anything apart just as is stated in the manual...Re-seating it worked fine for me....Don

Speedy

I would first clean the seal and surface of the bowl valve to make sure there is nothing causing the seal to be broken. Then I would use a little vasoline on the seal to soften it. If those to fixes don't work then you'll need to get a seal kit for it from Heartland.

hillsonwheels

According to info received with a reseal kit supplied by Dometic, cleaning is always ok, but any kind of lubricant is a no-no. Last go round when mine wasn't sealing, I disassembled the commode and used some Lime Away to break up/remove calcification (I suspect super hard water at our summer camping spot.) that had formed on the seal. The popsicicle stick tool and an old tooth brush work well as tools. First tho, refer to the owner's manual for how to try to clean the seal without a removal. Simple is always better.

Dick

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
On a similar note, my Dometic 210 has started seeping from the flange seal. Does any one know if a standard residential seal will work on these toilets? If not, I'll wait till we get to Port Richey before fixing. We have no RV dealers within 20 miles here in Wachula.

MC9

The standard wax rings just don't seem to work on a rv (too much flexing I suspect) I bit the bullet and bought a new foam ring for our 210. Don't let it seep too long.

Ray LeTourneau

The standard wax rings just don't seem to work on a rv (too much flexing I suspect) I bit the bullet and bought a new foam ring for our 210. Don't let it seep too long.

We'll be in Port Richey Thursday so only 2 more days. This just started 2 days ago and since cleaning around the base, nothing is showing yet. It might only occur when I'm on it.:eek:

olcoon

This keeps popping up, and I've been fighting it off & on myself. What worked best for me was to take a rag & wipe the seal to clean it, and this helped...for a while. It started doing it again, & finally I did what most guys hate to do...read the book that came with it. I posted what was in the book in another thread, look at post # 26. Hope this helps!

Ray LeTourneau

On a similar note, my Dometic 210 has started seeping from the flange seal. Does any one know if a standard residential seal will work on these toilets? If not, I'll wait till we get to Port Richey before fixing. We have no RV dealers within 20 miles here in Wachula.
I found that the seepage was coming from under the clamp ring. I took it apart and cleaned the 2 piece ball seal. I used some plumber lube around the base of the ceramic bowl and on the part of the seal that contacts the ball. I actually had Lin sit on the bowl while I tightened the clamp. So far so good. No more seeping around the clamp.
On another note, the rubber grommet for the vacuum valve in the back has started seeping. As a temporary fix I used some rescue tape. That stuff is great. I did three wraps around the OD of the grommet and no more leaks. It's good to have a tight seal!:eek:

StephenKatSea

We have very hard water here in Cal/Ariz desert area. We have a Dometic 210 toilet. We experience calcification build up on the ball and the bottom of the seal, which allows water to seep out of the bowl and into the tank. With the water shut off, the toilet is easily disassembled at the clamp and removed from the pedestal which contains the ball and seal. The hard water build up is easlily removed from the ball and seal. We use a small piece of "Velcro" (the side that has the hooks not the fuzz). Scrubbing with the Velcro does not damage the ball or the rubber seal. Reassemble and we find bowl again holds water, just fine.