Tired Of High Gas Prices?

J

Jeff

Hello Everyone:

Some of you may already know about this site. And I'm sure there are other ones out there.

Follow this link and you can check on Gas Prices around the Country.

http://www.gasbuddy.com/

You all take Care.

Jeff

jbeletti

The price of diesel fuel

These diesel prices in the Chicacgo area are killing me. On Friday, I paid $2.589/gal or $75 to fill'er up. Ouch. Now it's higher.

I like the link Jeff posted above. I was able to find diesel at least 20 cents lower. That's over $6 a tank in savings. Or a 32 mile break even point.

I paid $2.149 on the Indiana toll-road 2 weeks ago. I know it has went up since but sheesh!

While I don't plan to alter my travel plans for this year, I am liking the fact that my trailer is stored on a seasonal campsite about a half hour away.

What about you? Is the price of diesel making you choke in your area of the country? Is it altering your travel plans.

Jim

Tom of Ypsi

Diesel went up to $2.35 to $2.39 overnight from $2.15 to $2.29. When I get my camper back from the dealer I do not plan on altering any camping plans in fact I may add more. Life is too short not to enjoy it and the campgrounds just may be a little less congested.

Tom of Ypsi

Cooper, you must have an extra tank on your SD. Diesel is at $3.49 pg now but I did find one place out of the way at $2.99, what a deal:rolleyes: .

bking

$2.99? What a deal. Almost worth buying a secondary fuel tank. I paid $3.59 today just before getting on the interstate to take our Golden Gate to the dealer for a few things. That is the highest price I've seen in central Illinois. However, I did see $3.34 on the way to our dealer. So, I stopped there on my way home to top off.

Phil Smith

Retired South Carolina Chapter Leader
Bio-Diesel

Is anybody using or experimented with Bio-Diesel? I have started researching the process of making Bio-diesel but would like to hear from someone that has tried it. (Converting vegitable oil into a diesel format.)
As I understand it, the first diesel engines were actually designed to run off of peanut oil but the oil companies had a waste bi-product they made into what we now know as diesel. Some if the information I have been reading has conversion kits that run straight filtered vegitable oil (used oil from thr fast food friers) other have an additive and don't need the conversion kits and yet another "cooks" the oil and blends it with methanol and lye to clean it up. Claims run from $.40 to $.70/gal. That sure beats the $3.21 we are seeing currently but I would sure hate to foul up the fuel system on my beloved tow vehicle. You can alos buy commercially made bio-diesel at some stations but the cost is typically higher due to the "green" labeling. Supposedly there is very little difference to torque and HP and the tailpipe emissions smell like french fries. I COULD GO FOR THAT!

Phil

fireflipper

EX-Travel Bug
Fireflipper

Well diesel is at $3.29 in Ca. the region I am in right now. But check out a weeb site called, www.dieselboss.com/fuel.htm. They have daily updates for prices at all the major truck stops. I usually check the prices the night before leaving and find the cheapest on the route I plan on taking.

BluegrassMan

Diesel prices?

Hi All:

In southern Pa-MD area, diesel is @ $2.89 while gas is $2.38. It seems to me that all of this fuel price changing is contrived. IMHO, "THEY"(govt.) wants us to spend X-amount of $$ per mile to drive. If you get a diesel, you get better milage, BUT it costs more per GAL. Use 87 gas, not as good milage, YOU still spend $$$ to drive.:mad:

I do believe the "Leaders" of our states and country for that matter, better realize exactly who is running the country "WE ARE" they are just OUR representatives. WE NEED TO MAKE THAT PERFECTLY CLEAR !!! From the TOP on down. Our votes do count, start at your local level, and write emails to your local, then work your way up. VOTE the losers out, and try fresh ones.
Thank You, my fellow AMERICANS (I've heard that somewhere before):cool:

Tom of Ypsi

BluegrassMan, Well said. The key word in your whole message is VOTE. It is our right as Americans to vote. We have soldiers dying in other countries trying to help the people of those countries with their right to vote. We as Americans should be ashamed of ourselves for not getting out to vote when so many others in this world do not have that priviledge.

BluegrassMan

Diesel prices? Way Cheap !!!!!

Hey Guy's:

I just got done watching a re-run of the show Trucks on the Spike channel. The subject today was "Making your own diesel fuel". It was called bio-diesel, made from french fry oil from restaurants. It made real good sense to me. I don't own a diesel as of yet. I have a V-10 Dodge, my next truck will be a diesel. Now that they are turned up so much.

Anyway, this bio-diesel was made at home for $.70 per gallon:eek: !!!!!!! I then got on the website Freedom Fuel America, read about it, then went to biodieselsolutions.com, that is the company that sells the system.

It is very simple to make, the system is $ 2995. :cool: I thought that was allot for what I saw, BUT then I popped up my calculator on the screen, it wouldn't take very long to pay for itself. :eek: It is WAY more enviromently friendly than fossil fuel. I'm definately considering this when I go diesel. Ya'll ought to go check it out.

K

Ken Washington

Good idea unless the supply of oil gets low due to alot of people using it. When you go on long trips, what will you do? Would the oil produce the same power as diesal? I think this would be a good idea if you were going to use it in and around town or short trips.

fireflipper

EX-Travel Bug
Fireflipper

Sorry to bust your bubble here guys, but as of yet the no manufacturer will warrenty the vehicle using this bio fuel. This has been around for some time, farmers use to use it in their equipment. As far as GM, they are doing research into the use of it, hope it gets approval.

BluegrassMan

Hey Guys:
there is a large FAQ section on the site. The fuel WILL mix with standard Diesel. It is wupposed to burn 50% cleaner, and keep injectors cleaner as well as the top of your pistons etc.
As far as the warranty,How would they know unless you had a major failure with a tank full of fuel. Or they smelled french fries when you pulled in. I feel it's worth the time if my math is right. At a $2.00 gal. savings it wouldnt take long to pay for itself (1500 gal). Just a thought !

BluegrassMan

I thought, where is all the Veggy oil going to come from ? Then I thought of all the local eateries (Mom & Pops,diners,or the Fast Food places) They all have to PAY to get rid of it. Just in my local area 2 miles from home, there are about 10 places not counting the BARS.

Last edited:

dana@51

Yorkie Lover
I saw a show on dirty jobs with this, really neat how they produce it. The man gets more gas mileage than ever on his vehicle using mexican restaraunt oils.

J

Jim_1899

bking,
I just was reading through about the gas prices and I am going to save your link that show fuel prices and shows which stations sell diesel.

Where I camp their is a Farmers Coop that has a self service that sells diesel gas. They have two pumps one with red deisel and the other just deisel. The price on the red they do not charge any taxes and is only for farmers. They did not show the price but I am sure its a lot cheaper. I was tempted but did not fill up with the red tax free fuel.

ct0218

Chances are you would never get caught since you aren't a commercial truck, but there is always the possibility that any state DOT officer could dip you if you happened upon a roadside check. It's called tax evasion, and the fine can be hefty (up to 10K I understand). A lot of people do it, and the dyed untaxed fuel leaves traces of that dye in your tank for a while. Some have said that they have used it for 10-20 years, never been checked. The other problem is diesel needs to be fresh, and off-road probably sits around in storage tanks somewhat longer. I buy diesel from high volume retailers only. I have also heard that some of the offroad fuel can be a much higher sulfur content, especially harmful to engines produced after 1/1/07.

nhunter

I don't think you would have a problem with dyed diesel sitting around longer. We use it for oilfield boilers, cats, plows and generators but you have to have to permit. Up here in Canada I stopped at a retail place the other day instead of my cardlock place and paid $1.04 liter ( $3.93/ US gal). Talk about stinging. Ford says you can use up to 5% Biodiesel and the book in my wifes VW TDI says absoluty not. I also read that if you start burning bio that you have to change filters more often for the first bit as it cleans more so than reg. diesel.