Bad Spare Tire

DougLynne

retired Alberta Chapter Leaders
Upon checking our Spare Tire last week we discovered a bulge on it. Chacked with our dealer and she checked and said to take it to a local tire dealer and they would swap it out. I tried to remove th espare and the their is something missing either on the lowering mechanism or the cranks as there is no way the 2 match up to crank the tire down. I took it to the tire shop and he couldn't figure it out either. The tire guy started looking at my tires and saud I have a bigger problem, the back tire ie wearing on the outside and the lead tire is wearing on the inside and he said that is due to an axle problem. I now have the dealership looking into this with Lippert...../Doug

DougLynne

We have just over 5,000 miles. Still waiting to here from our Dealer and how they are making out with Lippert..../Doug

khd995

My tires on the right side did the same thing. It was a lippert problem. I was lucky enough to be where I could go to the service center that heartland uses in Indiana. The took great care of me and put on a new axle. Got there on a thursday and left on a Friday.

DougLynne

Wish I had noticed this while at the rally, maybe it could have been taken care of there. There seems to be as meny problems with Lippert as there is with these tires. We had a landing jack replaced at the rallly..../Doug

Uncle Rog

Howdy, I am starting to wonder why I had blowouts on both rear tires? I will keep a closer eye on those tires / axles.....I am out of warranty so I am now on my own........

Uncle Rog

Jimmy, I may be wrong, but I think the ST is a rating and LT is the size. My GY's are ST tires and the size is LT 235-85r-16.....Check out a thread by tdharley and others, they cover the subject in depth.......

Country

The ST and the LT are listed at the beginning of the tire size. (example, ST235/75R15)
ST stands for "Special Trailer"
LT stands for "Light Truck"

From all my research, you should never run LT tires on a trailer.
ST tires are designed to take the high sidewall stress that trailers put on them. Add a 3rd axle and the stress is even worse.:eek:

LT's should stay on your truck where they belong. Just my $.02....

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
Country said:
The ST and the LT are listed at the beginning of the tire size. (example, ST235/75R15)
ST stands for "Special Trailer"
LT stands for "Light Truck"

From all my research, you should never run LT tires on a trailer.
ST tires are designed to take the high sidewall stress that trailers put on them. Add a 3rd axle and the stress is even worse.:eek:

LT's should stay on your truck where they belong. Just my $.02....

Guess, I totally don't agree on this one, cause LT tires were standard on large trailers until the Chinese got in the picture. If you can find a ST E Rated tire not made in China/Asia that has not had a history of exploding or the tread coming off, sure would buy them. Search this small forum on tires and see how many like there ST tires. Just my $.02.... Ken

ChopperBill

I'm with Ken on this one. When Michelin an XPS Rib in an ST tire I will consider them until then the XPS Rib LT tire is all I will use.
Uncle Rog with the LT designation are you sure your GY's are not LT tires? :confused:

katkens

ChopperBill said:
I'm with Ken on this one. When Michelin an XPS Rib in an ST tire I will consider them until then the XPS Rib LT tire is all I will use.
Uncle Rog with the LT designation are you sure your GY's are not LT tires? :confused:

It has a LT tire size designation but it states, suitable for 5th wheels and trailers. It has a shallow tread depth for heat dissipation and rounded edges like the ST tires for turning,preventing side scrub. :cool: Ken

Uncle Rog

Hey Chopper, the GY's are, G614 RST's, it is a radial ST tire. The LT 235 85 R16 is the size I believe. I made **** sure that I was getting the best tire that I could for the money. Our good friend TDH started a very well read thread on the subject a whike back. I have not had her out since I put the new shoes on but "confidence is high" that they will be more reliable than those "chinese Bombs" that you refered to earlier....be good
UR

Country

I'm confused...
Why would you use "Light Truck" tires on a trailer when they have ST tires specially designed for trailer use? Is it the speed limitation or lack of availability?

katkens

Uncle Rog said:
Hey Chopper, the GY's are, G614 RST's, it is a radial ST tire. The LT 235 85 R16 is the size I believe. I made **** sure that I was getting the best tire that I could for the money. Our good friend TDH started a very well read thread on the subject a whike back. I have not had her out since I put the new shoes on but "confidence is high" that they will be more reliable than those "chinese Bombs" that you refered to earlier....be good
UR

It's still a LT Rated Tire not ST , BUT see my earlier post. --- Ken

katkens

Country said:
I'm confused...
Why would you use "Light Truck" tires on a trailer when they have ST tires specially designed for trailer use? Is it the speed limitation or lack of availability?

Country, the reason boils down to that some LT tires are better made than whats available in ST. The only LT rated for trailers that seems to be good is made by Goodyear and it is G rated , no E'S. The Michelin XPS RIB has a big following because of no problems and steel belted construction.--- Ken

ChopperBill

I didn't look for G rated tires because I assumed (theres that word again) That my 3055 had the 85lb wheels because it had E tires. Seems that some are finding they have the 110lb wheels. Last 1500 mile trip we took I barley looked back at the tires because of the confidence I have in the Michelin's. The trip before with the China tires I pulled off the road twice because I thought I heard a rumble. Had a sore neck from eye balling those cheap tires all day long. :rolleyes: