Need more opinions on Dual Pane Windows and Fantastic Vent

vakthund

I'm getting (even) closer to ordering a 3800HD but would love y'alls opinions some options:
1) Dual Pane Windows
This is a fairly expensive option and the dealer said they had issues with the double pain windows in the past (unfortunately I could not get him to expand on this). He also mentioned that although they do help reduce some noise and insulates a little better it was not worth the extra cost. He made it clear that this was his opinion and that they do not sell a lot of this option. Does anyone have opinions on this? I'm certainly not married to this option but I do plan on hitting Florida in the summer and also do some winter camping in cold climates. I do plan to put on slide out toppers eventually but I understand this not easily done on the super slide.
2) Fantastic Vent w/ rain sensor
I was initially looking at replacing the vent / fan in the loft with a fantastic vent. The dealer said this was not necessary and suggested a $40 rain cover instead of $450 fantastic fan. I have no experience with the fantastic fan or the vent/fan in the loft but I want to make sure heat does not get trapped in the loft as it does in my friends RV. I also like saving money.

I appreciate the option and value the experience the members of this forum offers to us newbies.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Re: Need more opinions

Well, I have opinions, but remember these are only my thoughts.
I have, have had and will always have dual pane windows. They do reduce noise, help insulate, to what degree I do not know, and eliminate condensation forming on the inside during cold weather.
We have two Fantastic Vent fans. It is not a matter of putting a vent cover over them to prevent rain from coming in. They move a lot of air. There is another road you can take there. There is a retrofit fan that is available. I do not remember the brand name, but I am sure JonDar will let you know.
Just my thoughts.

Peace
Dave

pegmikef

There is a retrofit fan that is available. I do not remember the brand name, but I am sure JonDar will let you know.
Dave

One is the Henge Vortex. You don't have to remove the vent to install this one and it runs sixty or seventy bucks.

Gaffer

You won't regret the dual pane windows. Easier to heat. Easier to cool. Much quieter and no condensation.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired

Dual pane windows are a no brainer. Well worth the dough. We have them and would not be without them.

We had a second Fantastic w/rain sensor put in. We have one in the kitchen and one in the bathroom.

Another suggestion if you live or travel in hot climates.
Consider getting a second A/C put in the rig. We may only run ours here and there, 2-3 months out of the year, but when we need it, I am sure glad we have it.
Can't tell you how many people I run into that say they wish they had a second A/C. (Especially in the places I frequent) Trace

Last edited:

dave10a

I for one take a more pragmatic approach. What is gained in terms of R value and how much propane or electricity for cooling will be saved and does that offset the amount that dual pane windows cost. Then if the dual panes leak and become frosted what is the expense to replace them. I had motor home with dual panes that leaked and required replacement. The initial cost of the dual panes was near $2k and the replacement cost of the windows that leaked was $1.2k and the energy cost savings would take more than my life time to recoup. I recently bought a 5th wheel that does not have dual pane windows and it does well in the Florida weather and I don't the outside noise that I had with the motor home. Bottom line is I simply think dual pane windows are a waste of money--- at least that is my experience.

Birchwood

I am now sure what a 3800 HD is but maybe its a cyclone?We have dual panes in our Landnark but we live in it full time
so perhaps we don't have the best opinion.I my opinion all higher cost RV windows should be dual pane unless you like moisture running
on your window sills.If you are a weekend camper its irrelervant because you won't be out there in cooler weather anyway.
We have a fantastic each in our bathroom and kitchen area and I don't think its a $450 option.Really there are not many options with
fans so include the Fantastic fan on your option list.

jbeletti

I'd like to echo the sentiment on the condensation issue that can occur with single pane windows when heating the RV in sub-freezing temps. If you never camp like that, it will be less of an issue for you. Maybe some fogging on the glass inside the RV is all.

Note that the dual pane windows Heartland uses, and to my knowledge, the rest of the industry, are not thermo/thermal-pane. RV dual pane windows have no vacuum or inert gas between the panes (as I understand it). This means they're thermally lower in insulative terms.

This all said, I've had one 5th wheel with single panes and three with dual panes. I like the dual panes a lot. With my first unit, I was more budget restricted, so dual panes and the 2nd AC never made it to my order.

I think a case can be made either way. Each must make his own decision based on his own needs, preferences and budget. Budget not being an issue, I'd get them every time.

Jim

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator

We ordered our's with Dual pane back in 06. No regrets and if we ever get a new rig, it will have dual panes as well. Also, no issues at all with them.
As for the fan, if you're the least bit handy you should be able to do your own install on a Fantastic fan. Well wort the money for the amount of air moved and the much lower noise level.

PeternLiane

I like dual pane windows and I always will. If you have the chance to get them now, get them. We have a Fantastic Fan, not with a rain sensor, We love it. I highly recommend both options.

jjriker

We have both dual pane windows and fantastic fan. We definitely would order them again. We were AMAZED at the difference the fantastic fan made with the amount of air coming into the coach. We do have the rain sensor as well, and like the fact that we don't have to worry about closing it in case it rains when we're not there.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)

We live and camp in the Northern VA area, very close to your location. We have the dual pane windows, and having not had them in our previous trailer, I can tell you they definitely reduce the noise factor and make it more comfortable in cooler and hotter temps.

On another note, if you do get the Cyclone, you should consider joining the Heartland Owner's Club. We have very active Virginia and Maryland Chapters and attending club rallies and other "get-together" can enhance the RV experience exponentially. Plus they are an exellent venue, in addition to this forum of course, for exchanging ideas, observing modifications and getting help with any issues or installations you are considering. I'll be contacting you shortly with more information.

TwoGypsies

We don't have dual pane windows, but I'm not biased against them. Just info fwiw, we've parked at 107f in Las Vegas and at 33f in Tennessee and have not had issues with heating/cooling comfort or condensation, even in the garage. (We have two a/c's.) I like the idea of better insulation for temperature & sound, so if I was spec'ing out a new unit the decision would be based on cost. However, from experience with our 2011 3812, single panes are okay.

porthole

Retired

If you order your new Cyclone without the Fantastic fan, you can always put one in later, can even do it yourself.

If you order your new Cyclone without the dual pane windows, you can always order another Cyclone when you change your mine.

That said. Our Cyclone has 3 Fantastic fans. It came with two, garage and living room and I bought a replacement for the bathroom before I left Elkhart.
Fantastic Fans are way quieter then the standard vent fan and move a significant more amount of air. The rain sensor is a plus, but I still have covers so we can use them in the rain.

I would not buy a new Cyclone without; dual pane windows, 2nd AC, LevelUp (either factory or post production).

Current Cyclone option list and my opinions.
Must haves:

• Fantastic Vent w/Rain Sensor (in Bedroom)
  • Central Vacuum System
  • Second 13,500 BTU Air Conditioner in Bedroom
  • Dual Pane Windows
Would order because obtaining after the fact is way too costly after the fact:

• Double Electric Queen Beds
  • Double Electric Queen Beds
  • with Rear Convertible Sofa & Picnic Table
  • 12 Cu. Ft. Refrigerator with Ice Maker (4014 only) if it was available I would order
  • 5.5 KW Generator (CARB Certified)
  • Washer/Dryer (factory install is a bit different to post install and superior)
  • 15,000 BTU Air Conditioner Heat Pump
  • Second Fuel Cell
  • Ramp Door Patio (personally not interested in this, but too costly if you change your mind).
Would not consider:

• Removable Edged Cargo Carpet
  • 9 Cu. Ft. Refrigerator in Garage (buy your own)
  • 4 KW Generator - (if you want a generator - get one big enough in the first place)
  • 32” Color LCD T.V. in Bedroom (Costco - less expensive, better options)
Nice to have but you can do later:

• Fantastic Vent w/Rain Sensor (in Bedroom)
  • Removable Edged Cargo Carpet
  • Central Vacuum System
  • 9 Cu. Ft. Refrigerator in Garage (3950, 370C)
  • 32” Color LCD T.V. in Bedroom (N/A 2812, 3010)
  • Washer/Dryer (N/A 2812)
  • Second 13,500 BTU Air Conditioner in Bedroom
  • ToyLok
  • Mini Refrigerator (3612, 3850, 3950)

MTPockets

Had single pane in old unit... Dual pane in new Big Horn and we love 'em - wish I had done it before. Added Fantastic fan in Bathroom plus maxair "fan mate" over all Fantastic fans.

vakthund

Wow, thank you all, really appreciate all the information.
So, the dual pane windows are in and I'll skip on the fan upgrade for now. I think we are close to a final configuration.
I noticed that many went to the factory to pick up their camper. Besides the obvious delivery fee and face time what are the benefits of picking it up at the factory vs dealer?

jnbhobe

I'm pretty sure they also bought near the factory like Greatlakes RV or someone nearby.

porthole

Retired

I noticed that many went to the factory to pick up their camper. Besides the obvious delivery fee and face time what are the benefits of picking it up at the factory vs dealer?

Great Lakes RV is the closest dealer (few miles from the factory), and supposedly the first dealer for Heartland.

Besides the $14,000 less purchase price I got by buying in Indiana, I also saved the $1500 delivery fee.
Figured it cost me about $500 to go pick it up.

Straightened out any issues I had before I left for home and also had a MOR/ryde IS installed while out there.

Local dealers are good if you can work with them. For us though, the closest Cyclone dealer was 250 miles away - so whats another 500?

I would not hesitate to buy from Great Lakes again.
Unless of course there is a local dealer for whatever model we get next and they are reasonable in price.

Last edited: